• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wkhanna
    Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

Memory of a Killer

Just rented this over the weekend....

Not super predictable, good acting and character development, decent cinematography, subtitled.

If you liked four brothers, which was IMHO just an OK genre film, you should love this one; if you can handle sub-titles.
    _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
    ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

Subtitles ? Oh, no. Shame, cause it looked interesting. I've tried watching subtitled movies before but have always found it too distracting, so now i avoid them.
    My Homepage!

Comment

• saurabh
      • Feb 2005

Here's the IMDB link.

Although the subtitle is a big turnoff.
      Need is the mother of all Inventions.....I am needy

Comment

• wkhanna
        • Jan 2006

Originally posted by George Bellefontaine
        Subtitles ? Oh, no. Shame, cause it looked interesting. I've tried watching subtitled movies before but have always found it too distracting, so now i avoid them.

Gee George, after reading your comments on how you appreciate the full size cinema picture format for its ability to reveal the director and cinematographer’s true artistic intent and ability, I would have thought you to be one of the ‘first on the list’ for foreign films.

I remember your comments on ‘Laurence of Arabia’, one of my all-time top Five movies ever made. But of course, it is not subtitled. However, my point is, the true art of cinematography has been mostly lost, along with sophisticated plot, and moral commentary, in Hollywood produced films.

Granted, I recognize the few exceptions such as the recent ‘Crash’ for dealing with the very volatile and non-Hollywood issue of racism and predigest in America today, and the 1996 ‘The English Patient’ which was a wonderful execution of editing and cinematography, IMHO. But for the most part, the overwhelming majority of dribble that comes from an ‘Industry’ who’s plot and dialog are aimed toward a twelve year-old intellect, uses ‘boom and bang’ to exploit advances in sound system technology for the mere fact that they can, and since the integration of the micro-chip into movie production, creates a ‘reality’ that is neither plausible or unique (after you have seen one explosion, gun fight or mythical creature, you’ve seen them all)...............after you strip all the fluff and filth and fantasy, what is left?

I’ve seen some great English produced films recently, along with more than a few really bad foreign films, too. And don’t get me wrong, I love a good dose of Si-Fi, ‘Solaris’ with George Clooney, or some great satire like ‘The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy’, or a little ‘off’ like ‘Donny Dark’ and ‘The Butterfly Effect’. And action films? The first ‘Transporter’ was one of the best in genre IMHO, and the second one that was made to reap (or should I say rape) the legacy, was the worst film I may have ever seen in my life.

I’m not trying get anybody’s goat, I too like to see a movie as means of escape from an all too often, what seems like a, routine and inconsequential day-to-day grind.

But at the same time, most times, when I see a movie, I want to see the ‘art form of movie-making’. I want to wake up the next day and have it haunt me, move me, make me think and maybe see the world in a different way; or at least let me see it as someone else other than myself sees it; in an equally valid, but different way. Not all movies need be epic in proportion. Just worth their while.

If I were not able to ‘suffer’ the subtitles, I would be limiting my opportunity to see some really bad movies and some really great art.

I am only making a suggestion, that in no way is intended to demean, that if you limit yourself to English language movies, you may be missing some of the best movies made. If we go to all the trouble of creating these grand systems and environments to enjoy the thing we love, movies, then why let some of the best causes for our passion go undiscovered?
        _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2001

Good argument, but it doesn't change things for me. I like to be immersed with everything: sound, image, etc., and subtitles just distract me too much to enjoy the film.
          My Homepage!

Comment

• wkhanna
            • Jan 2006

I fully understand and respect your feeling. I totally agree that it can be very distracting and it requires a level of concentration that can be anything but relaxing.

Many of the foreign films these days are made with the intent of international distribution, and as such, the dialogue can be very abridged for just this reason; so they rely even more on the art of cinematography to convey emotion, intent and plot. But that doesn’t change the facts.

I will, in future, limit my comments to non-subtitled movies since I do realize most people are justifiably less interested.
            _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• autio
              • Mar 2005

wkhanna,

Now dont get carried away I Dont mind subtitles (well I would rather not have them) but it wont stop me from watching a good flick. As a matter of fact I will most likely check out The Memory of a Killer because of your recommendation. Thanks for bringing it to my attention :T

Comment

• David Meek
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

Ditto. Please keep suggestions for sub-titled films coming, along with the non-sub-titled ones.

As an example, Das Boot is one of the great war films ever made (even with the English dubbing), but to really experience what the characters are feeling you need to watch the German-speaking version in order to hear the tones and inflections in their voices - even if you can't speak German.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Jan 2001

Wkhanna, by all means post on any foreign film you like. I do watch many of those that are dubbed in English. And, as you can see, there are others here who do not mind subtitled films. Maybe it's just my tired old eyes ( plus the fact I have galucoma ) that's the problem, because I do remember enjoying subtitled films when I was younger. I just find it difficult these days to read the subtitles and still see what's going on in the rest of the screen.
                  My Homepage!

Comment

• wkhanna
                    • Jan 2006

Well that’s great news, thanks for your interest guys! My wife and are big fans of foreign films, and when we get to see a really good one, there aren’t any people we know who would be interested in hearing about them. It’s nice to be able to share an appreciation of something you like with others who may also be appreciative of something just a little out of the main stream.

And don’t worry, I won’t be posting every other day on the latest subtitled film I just saw.

Oh, and George, I can relate to your difficulty, I had a stoke two years ago and lost most of the sight in my left eye. Makes subtitles all the more of an effort. But I can still ride my motos!!
                    _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• David Meek
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2000

Originally posted by wkhanna
                      And don’t worry, I won’t be posting every other day on the latest subtitled film I just saw.
                      Well, why not?

Comment

• wkhanna
                        • Jan 2006

Well, OK then, David. You will be getting it All. The best of the best and worst of the worst!
                        _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• David Meek
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Aug 2000

Picked my copy of Memory Of A Killer today at the post office. Now, to find a couple of free hours to watch it....

Comment

• wkhanna
                            • Jan 2006

I’m anxious to hear if you like it, or not. But, do remember your ‘reading glasses’. LOL
                            _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Jan 2001

Originally posted by wkhanna
                              But, do remember your ‘reading glasses’. LOL
                              :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
                              My Homepage!

Comment

Working...
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"