X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

Killer Joe... Holy Sh....t

Director William Friedkin is in top form with his latest flick KILLER JOE. It stars Matthew McConaughey as Killer Joe, a corrupt Texas police detective who moonlights as a killer for hire. When Emile Hirsch ( a two bit drug dealer ) can't come up with some owed money, his life is threatened. With agreement with his daddy ( Thomas Haden Church ) his little sister ( Juno Temple ) and step mom Gena Gershon, Emile hires Killer Joe to knock off the one person everyone hates, Church's ex wife and Emile and Juno's real mom for a $50K insurance policy who names the youngest child ( Juno ) as the benificiary. But, of course, everything goes wrong and the last guy you want mad at you is Killer Joe.

Believe me, you will either love or absolutely despise this film. It's loaded with twisted humor, full frontal female nudity, sexual perversion, blood ( and I do mean blood ) curdling violence, and some things I haven't found words to describe. But like it or hate it, one thing you will have to admit to, McConaughey is mesmerizing as Killer Joe.

I watched this last night and today I'm still trying to figure out if I like this outrageous piece of sh..t.
    Last edited by George Bellefontaine; 20 January 2013, 14:37 Sunday.
    My Homepage!
  • madmac
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2010

Ok....you have convinced me to rent this one......Watched the new "Bourne Legacy" last night and liked it.
    Dan Madden :T

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2001

Originally posted by madmac
      Watched the new "Bourne Legacy" last night and liked it.
      So did I, but I want to see another episode with Damon.

As for Killer Joe, I had to scrape my jaw off the floor after the movie ended. :E
      My Homepage!

Comment

• Chris D
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Dec 2000

you've got me curious too. Added to netflix.
        CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
        - Pleasantville

Comment

• aud19
          Twin Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2003

I'll have to give this one a look...likely be watching it alone though as the wife still hasn't let me watch Girl With The Dragon Tattoo.

Twisted violence/sex isn't really her thing apparently :lol:
          Jason

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2001

Originally posted by aud19
            Twisted violence/sex isn't really her thing apparently :lol:
            I certianly wouldn't recommend this as a film to watch with your significant other. I felt embarrassed watching it alone. This is one far out flick, Jason.
            My Homepage!

Comment

• aud19
              Twin Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2003

Good to know. Thanks George :lol:
              Jason

Comment

• btf1980
                • Aug 2007

No spoiler, but watching this movie nearly killed my taste for fried chicken. Nearly...
                A camera, passport, good music, good food and good company is all I need.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Jan 2001

Originally posted by btf1980
                  No spoiler, but watching this movie nearly killed my taste for fried chicken. Nearly...
                  :lol: :lol: :lol:
                  My Homepage!

Comment

• Ovation
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Sep 2004

Actually, I was thinking KFC for dinner tonight. :lol: (just watched this)

I loved it (but I'm a Tarentino fan, so this kind of thing is right up my alley--bit lower-key than Quentin, though). McConaughey is outstanding, Emile Hirsch surprisingly effective in the role he plays (last thing I saw him was Speed Racer--a more wholesome character is hard to imagine). Will add to the collection at some point.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Jan 2001

To be honest, it took me a bit of reflection, but I have to admit I ended up liking this piece of shit.
                      My Homepage!

Comment

• aud19
                        Twin Moderator Emeritus
                        • Aug 2003

Originally posted by George Bellefontaine
                        I watched this last night and today I'm still trying to figure out if I like this outrageous piece of sh..t.
                        Well, the wife was at her folks last night with the kids so I gave this a go.... That quoted statement pretty much sums up how I felt about it. Kind of wanted to take a shower after watching it :lol:

McConaughey was indeed outstanding in his role. In fact everyone did pretty top shelf work in regard to playing their given roles.

This film reminded me of the reaction I had to There Will Be Blood (albeit slimier). Fantastic acting but I don't think I actually liked it :lol:

And thank goodness I'm not a fan of KFC!!!
                        Jason

Comment

• wkhanna
                          Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
                          • Jan 2006

I really gotta see this one....!

Sounds as though it is right up my alley.
                          _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
                          ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Ovation
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Sep 2004

Not for the faint-hearted. But a great flick.

Comment

• bigburner
                              Super Senior Member
                              • May 2005

I really enjoyed it!

Nigel.

Comment

• wkhanna
                                Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
                                • Jan 2006

I've been wanting to see it since this thread got stated.
                                I need to make a special trip to the video store soon.
                                The only problem is that I know The Wife will not be the slightest bit interested.
                                Never knowing when I might get the chance to watch it, I may just go ahead & buy the DVD just so I have it on hand when the opportunity presents itself.
                                _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
                                ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Jan 2001

Originally posted by wkhanna
                                  The Wife will not be the slightest bit interested.
                                  Never knowing when I might get the chance to watch it, I may just go ahead & buy the DVD just so I have it on hand when the opportunity presents itself.
                                  I know what you're saying, Bill. I'd do the same thing, buy it and watch it when the chance occurs.
                                  My Homepage!

Comment

• aud19
                                    Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Aug 2003

Originally posted by wkhanna
                                    I've been wanting to see it since this thread got stated.
                                    I need to make a special trip to the video store soon.
                                    The only problem is that I know The Wife will not be the slightest bit interested.
                                    Originally posted by George Bellefontaine
                                    I know what you're saying, Bill. I'd do the same thing, buy it and watch it when the chance occurs.
                                    On demand streaming anyone...?
                                    Jason

Comment

• Ovation
                                      Super Senior Member
                                      • Sep 2004

PQ is not nearly as good as a 1080p Blu-ray--that would be my objection. Not that I don't do streaming, but I find it ok on my TVs, not with my PJ.

Comment

• aud19
                                        Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                        • Aug 2003

Well in fairness, I didn't find Killer Joe to be much of an A/V showcase. I doubt streaming it would be much of a noticeable detraction if at all.

I really have little issue with streaming the latest bubblegum comedy or in this case a grainy drama. For something like LOTR or the latest and greatest animated flick etc, sure, the 1080p is more important/noticeable.
                                        Jason

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                          • Jan 2001

Originally posted by aud19
                                          On demand streaming anyone...?
                                          Not for me, Jason. Anything I watch in my home theater has to be as close to the look of film as possible, regardless of story content so I'll stick to software.
                                          My Homepage!

Comment

• Ovation
                                            Super Senior Member
                                            • Sep 2004

I almost only stream TV shows when I stream from Netflix. Despite the wonders of HD programme production, I find the shot composition for many TV shows more appropriate for screens smaller than my PJ screen. As such, I often watch (BD or streaming or off the DVR) TV on the SDTV in the living room or on my small (22 inch) HDTV in the home cinema room. Some TV shows do look cinematic enough for the PJ screen but I don't usually fire the PJ up for anything less than 2 hours of viewing, so that's another reason I watch TV shows on the smaller screens in the house. When it comes to movies, if the movie is available to rent or buy on BD, I don't stream to the projector. And on the few times I have streamed movies to the PJ, it just doesn't measure up. The time is near when streaming will look as good on my PJ as BD, but we're not there yet. And for movies, which, unlike TV shows, are intended for much bigger screens than the 40-50 inch HDTVs that TV producers aim for most of the time, I prefer to use the PJ. Even if it's not a showcase for eye-popping visuals (I watch film noir on my PJ off of BD or even DVD, because they were made for large screens--reruns of All in the Family, not so much).

Comment

• aud19
                                              Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                              • Aug 2003

I guess... I've "only" currently got a 51" TV and have very little issue with watching most of the "casual"/"fluff" stuff with the high quality streaming that's currently available (and as you pointed out, is only getting better). I can understand that with a larger setup YMMV on that though.
                                              Jason

Comment

• Ovation
                                                Super Senior Member
                                                • Sep 2004

It is definitely getting better, but it's not quite there yet. And getting the best PQ means bigger downloads which can run up against the cap (cap's getting bigger on a regular basis too, so I foresee a point where it won't matter, but not yet).

Comment

• aud19
                                                  Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                                  • Aug 2003

I've never personally run in to cap/bandwidth issues in my area but I could see how that would be a problem, particularly in rural areas.
                                                  Jason

Comment

• Chris D
                                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                                    • Dec 2000

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.... I just watched this off one of the premium movie channels.

Total piece of garbage.

I agree with others here, that the acting is actually very good! But really, is there any redeeming qualities to this film? I don't care how well it's acted, if the story and plot fails. Is there any moral? Any real story? Anything beyond sex, violence, depravity, and brutality? Those elements do not make a film by themselves, without incorporating any story, any lesson, or anything else. And is that girl really supposed to be 12? Is there ANYTHING redeeming about condoning and even promoting child molestation? [EDIT]: And if she's not supposed to be 12 (which I suspect) is pimping out your little sister really supposed to be any better?

So glad I didn't pay a single cent to watch this one. :1: out of :5:
                                                    Last edited by Chris D; 21 September 2013, 11:48 Saturday.
                                                    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                                                    - Pleasantville

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                                      • Jan 2001

I understand where you're coming from, Chris. Like I said in my review, you'll either love it or hate it. I found myself somewhere in the middle.
                                                      My Homepage!

Comment

• John Holmes
                                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                                        • Aug 2000

I enjoyed it.

As to the content, "it's fantasy". I for one watch films to escape reality. Yes, it is nice to have the occasional "based on true event" or Documentary. Everyone is of course entitled to their own opinion.
                                                        "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

Working...
                                                        Searching...Please wait.
                                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                        Search Result for "|||"