X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ovation
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

Captain America: Civil War

Another entertaining entry in the MCU (Marvel Cinematic Universe, for the uninitiated :wink: ). It succeeds very well at what it sets out to accomplish. Spidey is pitch-perfect, it looked great at the 15/70 full size IMAX venue and I was entertained throughout. It will obviously be compared to Batman v Superman, and will no doubt have much higher satisfaction ratings among critics and a good chunk of viewers. In part, the accolades will reflect the fact the filmmakers chose a "safe approach", one far less likely to challenge audience expectations than BvS. That's fine. But I admire the BvS filmmakers more for their willingness to take a riskier approach, at the cost of upsetting audience expectations. YMMV

If you are an MCU fan, a must see. One caveat, for those who have not seen all the MCU movies (this one is number 13 in the shared universe, not counting Jessica Jones and Daredevil on Netflix, as well as Agents of Shield on ABC): some bits will be confusing or obscure, as the story presumes prior knowledge for a complete understanding of proceedings.
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

Great to hear. I'm hearing very good things about this one, looking forward to seeing it. I heard that the Hulk and Thor aren't present, though. Bummer!
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville

Comment

• P-Dub
      Office Moderator
      • Aug 2000

This is a must see! I had a really good time and this movie far outshines the BvS movie. I know different tones, etc. I think the story crafting and story telling was so much better.

Hulk and Thor are mentioned, but don't show up. This is just a Captain America movie, but it is as if all the movies combine into one very big universe.
      Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.

Comment

• Chris D
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Dec 2000

Saw it this weekend. Great flick! Thought it was a little contrived, the way they set the superheroes against each other. It should have taken more. But only a little. Plot was good, fighting was great, adding Ant Man, Spidey, and Black Panther. I love that these superhero epics are gathering great efforts and results, even if some of the individual movies are a bit less wonderful. :45: out of :5:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
        CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
        - Pleasantville

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"