X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

Hulk the thinking man's comic book hero

Watched this just before Christmas. I really am not into comic book heroes on the big screen, with a few exceptions like the first Batman, Superman and Blade. But the Hulk was well done in a very intelligent way. Good story, direction and acting from all concerned. But for those of you who haven't seen it, wait until you get a load of the picture quality. It is purely delicious. Sound ain't too shabby either.

My Homepage!
    My Homepage!
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

REALLY 8O ?! I thought it looked pretty cheesy from the adds. Just the sort of technology over subtsance film we'd been discussing in the classic movie thread. I hadn't even wanted to rent let alone buy this one for those reasons. Are you saying this is one to add to the collection? I mean I assumed the video/audio could be close to or be reference, but the story too?!

I don't want to call you a bold-faced liar George but I'd love to hear some other folks opinions on this as I'm just in shock and utter dis-belief here 8O

Jason

Need a new display? Questions about new display technologies? Visit RPTVs, plasmas, and other monitors @ HTguide
    Jason

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2001

Picture quality is definitely reference. Story isn't an award winner, but as far as some of the recent comic book stuff to screen, the Hulk was ( in my opinion) a cut above the others. I'm sure not everyone will agree on the story, etc., but anyone with a good quality FP will be blown away by the quality picture on this disc.

A classic ? Far from it. Add it to your collection ? Probably only if you want to show off your system, Jason. I was just pleasantly surprised by the more intelligentapproach to a comic book thing ( minus the cheesy cgi). But I would like to hear other opinions on this flick as well.

My Homepage!
      My Homepage!

Comment

• Dean McManis
        Moderator Emeritus
        • May 2003

I bought the DVD without having seen the movie, and wish that I hadn't.
        Most action movie fans won't like The Hulk because it's more of a dramatic film, and takes it's time developing the story. I thought that was a fine approach to making the movie, but then it turns into a video game at the end. Like Hollow man turns from an interesting Sci-Fi film into cheesy horror flick.

Plus I have a hard time caring for the main character.

Bill Bixby played Dr. Banner as both intellegent and troubled, and you could sense his conflict and rage, but clearly understand why he wouldn't kill people.

Not that The Hulk TV show didn't have problems as it was horribly sappy and predictable. But Bixby really portrayed the charcter much better than in this film.

This movie wasn't satisfied with just giving us Dr. Bruce Banner's personal conflicts, and the mess of problems that would happen if you were suddenly changed into The Hulk. It had to escalate the problem to world-threatening proportions (in typical Hollywood fashion).

Unfortunately for the Hulk, there is Spiderman to compare this story to, and it was just much more believable and personal in Spiderman.
        To be sure, the special effects and sound was great in The Hulk. And they did a better job with the story than some comic franchises (later Batman movies come to mind), but it would have been a better movie for me to have rented than bought.

-Dean.

Comment

• Chris D
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Dec 2000

The Hulk is a movie that I'm kind of riding the fence upon. Normally, I have great appreciation for the development of plot and story, not just flashy special effects and action. But I think Stan Lee may have pushed for TOO much of this, as the movie really slowed down. I still thought it was a decent flick, but not one that I'm rushing out to go buy. That's good to hear from George though that it looks good in home theater.

CHRIS
          Luke: "Hey, I'm not such a bad pilot myself, you know"
          CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
          - Pleasantville

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2001

I understand what Dean is saying about The Hulk being more a drama and that's probably why I liked it. As I said, I am really not all that fond of the recent spate of comic book films. But I wouldn't want anyone to think that I am overly fond of Hulk. I found it acceptable, but wouldn't go out of my way to watch it again, even though I bought it in the USED bin at Blockbusters.

My Homepage!
            My Homepage!

Comment

• David Meek
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

I have to admit I haven't seen The Hulk yet - except for the trailers. I had thought that with Ang Lee directing a cast including Eric Bana, Jennifer Connelly, Sam Elliot and Nick Nolte, this would have been one of the heavyweight comic-book-movie contenders. I guess the sum of the whole didn't equal the value of the individual parts. Too bad.

David - HTGuide flunky
              Our "Theater"
              Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Dean McManis
                Moderator Emeritus
                • May 2003

Another thing that bugged me about The Hulk was all of the split-screen shots. I recognize and admire the fact that they were trying to create a visual effect similar to the multiple-window-illustrations used to visually enhance scenes in comic books. But I thought that the effect was over-used, and at the same time not taken advantage of, to have the best impact in the movie.

-Dean.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Jan 2001

The most effective use of split-screen I can recall was used in The Boston Strangler. Now this really worked.

My Homepage!
                  My Homepage!

Comment

• Brandon B
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Jun 2001

FINALLY got to watch this (didn't see it in the theater, wife wouldn't watch it after seeing on the plane, and finally a night to myself with the PJ).

Gotta say, I liked it just fine. Ending wasn't real strong, but other than that, I thought a pretty good treatment of the comic.

Tomorrow night, Matrix Revolutions (also unseen yet by me).

BB

Comment

• Aeromos
                      • Jun 2003

I enjoyed this movie just for the simple fact that it was based on the comic book. I was however disappointed at the size of The HULK. They made him much bigger than he should've been compared to the comic books. I too expected more in the action department since Ang Lee was working on this film. I will buy this just because I'm a fan of comic books.

Aeromos
                      Enjoy life, it's too short to waste!!
                      My Collection
                      Aeromos
                      Enjoy life, it's too short to waste!!
                      My Collection

Comment

• Brandon B
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Jun 2001

Yeah, kinda agree with that. Seems like they tied his size to his anger level more than his strength.

BB

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        😂
                        🥰
                        😘
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😞
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"