X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • impala454
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2007

Hunger Games

Saw this one today and thought it was pretty good. I have not read the books though I just got them yesterday and plan to. Great story and whatshername from xmen first class did a great job in the lead role. Very emotional/violent kinda flick with kids killing each other and all. Can't wait to read the books and find out what happens in the next two!
    -Chuck
  • M.Roberts8
    • Jan 2006

Originally posted by impala454
    Saw this one today and thought it was pretty good. I have not read the books though I just got them yesterday and plan to. Great story and whatshername from xmen first class did a great job in the lead role. Very emotional/violent kinda flick with kids killing each other and all. Can't wait to read the books and find out what happens in the next two!
    Been wanting to see this one. Wasn't sure though the premise sounded cool, I've heard good things.

Comment

• madmac
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2010

My daughter went to see this yesterday and liked it. I was uncomfortable letting her go watch this (She's 12) because kids killing kids is not cool in my books.....regardless of the storyline or premise.
      Dan Madden :T

Comment

• M.Roberts8
        • Jan 2006

Watched it with my daughter yesterday, I liked it for the most part my complaints have to do with the cinematography Someone needs to get the director and his crew some cranes & tripods though. The whole first 20-30 minutes looks like it was shot freehand and the camera is constantly moving up/down/left/right during the shots.

Comment

• dyazdani
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Oct 2005

I saw this while on vacation, thought it was a good movie. I do agree with the last two posts though regarding some negative things.
          Danish

Comment

• impala454
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Oct 2007

Originally posted by M.Roberts8
            Watched it with my daughter yesterday, I liked it for the most part my complaints have to do with the cinematography Someone needs to get the director and his crew some cranes & tripods though. The whole first 20-30 minutes looks like it was shot freehand and the camera is constantly moving up/down/left/right during the shots.
            I think a lot of the camera work was intentionally done in order to get the PG-13 rating. I think they did a great job keeping the horrible gore necessary to convey how violent the games were without showing so much detail that they'd get an R rating.
            -Chuck

Comment

• M.Roberts8
              • Jan 2006

I think a lot of the camera work was intentionally done in order to get the PG-13 rating. I think they did a great job keeping the horrible gore necessary to convey how violent the games were without showing so much detail that they'd get an R rating.

Agreed about keeping the gore in check, I'm more referring to the times where it wasn't necessary. Like at "the reaping" when the camera would pan back and forth between Katniss and Gale instead of using two cameras and editing the shots back and forth he panned the camera across the entire crowd but when they got to each person the camera would drift up & down, left & right constantly it was distracting to me.

Comment

• impala454
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Oct 2007

Oh yeah, that was rather annoying.

I finally managed to finish off the book I was on, so now am about 40 pages into the Hunger Games series. Anyone else reading/read it?
                -Chuck

Comment

• M.Roberts8
                  • Jan 2006

Oh yeah, that was rather annoying.

I finally managed to finish off the book I was on, so now am about 40 pages into the Hunger Games series. Anyone else reading/read it?
                  Well I ordered the 3 books in hardcover from Amazon but they are currently out of stock so I'm waiting for them to show up. When they do I'll be waiting for my daughter to read then I will read them. I'm hoping that amazon will get them soon though, I'm not very patient ....

Comment

• impala454
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • Oct 2007

I thought about grabbing the kindle version as I recently got an iPad but I'm still more of the type that would rather pay for the physical book and have it on the shelf. Found it at Sam's Club for $30 for the trilogy in hardback (and had a $10 gift card) so jumped on it. I've already seen a couple of small things left out of the movie.
                    -Chuck

Comment

• Lex
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Apr 2001

I agree about kids killing kids. Don't we have enough of that in real life without showing it as an example in a popular movie to appeal to kids?
                      Doug
                      "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Jan 2001

Well with all the bullying in schools, and kids ( girls and boys ) trying to kill each other on You Tube, I just hope this film doesn't give them some twisted ideas.
                        My Homepage!

Comment

• Silver1omo
                          • Sep 2010

The movie was good but it does not convey the hunger and desperation that the books do. They should be emaciated and starving to death.

I just finished "Catching fire" (2nd book) the finale is damn good!
                          Ivan.
                          My Statement monitors

Comment

• impala454
                            Ultra Senior Member
                            • Oct 2007

Hey I just finished the 2nd book last night too, it's getting pretty awesome. I never would have guessed some of the twists and turns (although I did correctly guess one )
                            -Chuck

Comment

• Silver1omo
                              • Sep 2010

I'm resisting the urge to buy the third... I still have a bunch of unfinished books.
                              Ivan.
                              My Statement monitors

Comment

• impala454
                                Ultra Senior Member
                                • Oct 2007

Finished the 3rd book, not quite as good as the first and second, and seems to be a lot more about Katniss and her inner struggles. Still though, it's very good and necessary to get the final piece of the puzzle in the story! Can't wait for the next two movies!
                                -Chuck

Comment

• M.Roberts8
                                  • Jan 2006

Finished the 3rd book, not quite as good as the first and second, and seems to be a lot more about Katniss and her inner struggles. Still though, it's very good and necessary to get the final piece of the puzzle in the story! Can't wait for the next two movies!
                                  I just finished Catching Fire last night. Waiting on my daughter to finish Mockingjay. I'm also looking forward to the next two films. I hope they add some sort of voice over narration for Katniss though. I think it would help speed up the underlying plot elements. Thought the first film was pretty true to the book with only a few things left out or cut short.

Comment

Working...
                                  😀
                                  😂
                                  🥰
                                  😘
                                  🤢
                                  😎
                                  😞
                                  😡
                                  👍
                                  👎
                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                  Search Result for "|||"