X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1

I enjoyed this one. I was favorable towards the first movie, with some reservations, and then thought the 2nd movie was only so-so. But I liked how this movie approaches some depth to the society and greater issues that underly the story that is driving this great fictional world. It would be easy for Suzanne Collins, after having the tournament be the relative focus of the first movie and some of the second, to have a superficial and not-so-serious understanding and presentation of the great civil war that is breaking out in the 3rd. But this film approaches it pretty well, and related issues.

I definitely appreciated the look at "information" and "propaganda" relating to insurgencies and fascist governments. When a government descends into tyranny, singlehandedly making massive sweeping changes through executive mandates, that government believes that if it tells the people something, over and over and over, the people will not only believe that it is true, the line itself BECOMES true. The government treats the people as stupid, and subordinate to the ruling government, and that any problem does not lie with the government or its policies. All problems lie with the people just not UNDERSTANDING and RELYING upon the government, and if only they will listen to the ruler, who just needs to talk even more and tell the storyline again and again, the eventuality must be none other than mass deference to the ruling government and its control. So how do the people fight against this information/propaganda essential to a government turning towards tyranny? When this pushback by the people reaches the breaking point, and enters armed conflict against the government that portends to be caring for its people, how does information warfare integrate into this new face of the struggle?

This disc is also encoded in Atmos. It's nowhere as clear as John Wick, but was still good quality on my 7.1 system. For those with vertical Atmos channels, there were several scenes that would have exploited that full Amos feature.

I'm still very against this trend as of late, in the film industry, to break up latter books/stories in a series into 2 or more separate films, mostly to make more money. Yes, it may make more room to include details from a book's story, but (1) it's not always necessary, (2) some of these films end up filling up the extra time with stuff NOT from the book (i.e. Hobbit), (3) the story pacing does not match earlier films in the series when it's doubled into two films, and (4) really, it's not necessary. There's nothing wrong with epic films, other than often requiring a bathroom break from the viewer in the middle. Can you imagine "Lawrence of Arabia Part 1", to be followed by a totally separate Part 2 film released a year or more later?

Oh, and I thought Philip Seymour Hoffman was integrated well into the film. I'm curious how much had to be shifted or edited after his death. Will be curious about the same thing in Part 2.

Overall, I'll go with :4: out of :5: on this one. Looking forward to Part 2.
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville
  • Hdale85
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

We just watched this last night and honestly I think it might be the best of all of them so far. Not that we aren't a fan of the first one as well, I guess if anything this one was pretty equal with the first movie for us.

Comment

• wkhanna
      Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2006

Back when it was in the theaters, The Wife saw it with our grandson.
      They both liked it a lot.
      _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
      ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• aud19
        Twin Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2003

6.5/10

Entertaining enough, continues the story, good action sequences...But I also found the pace lacking at times, there were some story line misfires and even the cinematography was questionable at times. So much so that I noticed it was pulling me out of the film. Pretty much the opposite of what good cinematography should do. Particularly at this level/budget.
        Jason

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"