X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

Mr. Brooks is serial killing 101

Kevin Costner ( yes, I am and always have been a hard core fan ) portrays a serial killer and William Hurt portrays his " other " personality, the one that kills. Costner( Earl Brooks) is a rich industrialist with a beautiful wife ( Marg Helgenburger ) and a lovely ( but is she really ? ) daughter. He treats his penchant for serial killing like an addiction and goes to AA to try and defeat it. But after two years of suppressing his killing urges from Marshall ( Hurt ), the voice in his head , he succumbs and for the first time he makes a mistake committing his perfect crimes and his perfect life starts to unravel.

This also stars Demi Moore as a female decetive bent on capturing the serial killer and though there's backstory on some problems she is having in the breakup with her ex, the real story is Mr. Brooks and Costner is mesmerizing in his portrayal of the sometime tortured serial killer. William Hurt as his " other " is also great: in fact they make a great pair on screen. There are a few plot twists, and some intentional dark humor type moments, as well as some plot weaknesses that should have been cleaned up in the script before the film was shot, but overall it is a pretty good thriller that kept me glued to my chair.

What I like about Costner is his courage in tackling roles that are diametrically opposed to type. I particularly like it when he takes on the
    " bad guy " role such as in A Perfect World and 3000 Miles To Graceland. In Mr. Brooks, I feel he gives the best performance of his career.

The PQ is rather odd. I found the contrast wanting a bit, which was probably due to camera lighting of indoor scenes in particular. I also found the fleshtones to be somewhat pinkish at times, but overall all, the image was sharp and detailed. There is a DTS audio track, which I used , and there are some startling moments especially during scene with gunshots.

In summary, whether you are a Kevin Costner fan or not, and if you like thrillers, you will probably enjoy this one. I certianly did and plan to watch it again in the near future.

:T
    My Homepage!
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

Yeah, it did look odd. I might check it out.
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville

Comment

• Race Car Driver
      Super Senior Member
      • Mar 2005

Demi Moore... Hrm.....
      B&W

Comment

• ShadowZA
        Super Senior Member
        • Jan 2006

I enjoyed this psychological thriller. Watched it late at night after the girls had gone to bed. Even though I did not have the sound turned up that loud ... I jumped off the couch at the sound of the first gunshot scene. Got me in the gut, it did.

Comment

• Gump
          • Sep 2005

Wow, this movie's been out on DVD for over a year?? I am REALLY behind in my movie watching....oh well.

Watched it tonight and thought it was very entertaining. It's clever enough to overcome its' own implausibility and Costner and Hurt are excellent together. If you haven't seen it check it out, it's good. Don't be like me and wait another year!

Grade: B

Comment

• littlesaint
            • Jul 2007

Originally posted by Gump
            Wow, this movie's been out on DVD for over a year?? I am REALLY behind in my movie watching....oh well.

Watched it tonight and thought it was very entertaining. It's clever enough to overcome its' own implausibility and Costner and Hurt are excellent together. If you haven't seen it check it out, it's good. Don't be like me and wait another year!

Grade: B
            Same here. It's been in my Netflix queue for a year, but I keep dropping it down for new stuff.
            Santino

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Comment

• Hdale85
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Jan 2006

Move it up movies is excellent.

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"