X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • madmac
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2010

Hunger Games on BD

I watched this BD with my daughter last night. She of course had seen it in the theater as most teenagers did, but she wanted to see it again.

First off, I was very bothered and taken aback by the 'Nazi' style way the film starts and the 'rounding up' of kids for the pleasure of the 'elite' entertainment. After that, it basically becomes some sort of unpleasant 'gladiator' style film.

I have to say, other than some good acting, the film is unsettling and I did not like the story or premise at all. It simply bothered me and it bothers me even more that it was aimed at young people.

5/10 stars only for good acting.........Blahhh
    Dan Madden :T
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

Really? Wow, I'm surprised. With all the hooplah about it, I've been looking forward to renting it. I may head off to Blockbuster here, and see what happens.
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville

Comment

• impala454
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Oct 2007

When I saw the movie in theaters I loved it and immediately read all three books. Mac, it was based on a trilogy of books, so I suppose your judgement should be more reserved for the books than the film specifically. The film was pretty true to the book.

I bought the BD as soon as it was released and have already watched it three times, as well as the bonus features (the making of the film). I thought they did a great job with the BD as well, though I'm not sure it'll stand out as a demo disc or anything. The "making of" extras were very interesting and well done. I'm a bit of a soundtrack junkie and did really like this one. I also echo Mac's comments regarding the acting. I thought Jennifer Lawrence did an amazing job. I can't wait to see her in the other two films, as well as the next X-Men: First Class. I think they also did a great job casting the other major roles. Great mix of old veterans and new faces who did well.

I definitely respect everyone's opinion, but I find it interesting that a story like this would disturb people. There's plenty of stories out there that we all would hope wouldn't be true in real life. I'll just toss in there without spoiling anything that The Hunger Games barely even touches on the complete story of the entire trilogy. I highly recommend all three books. I couldn't put them down until I was finished.

:T :T
      -Chuck

Comment

• madmac
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2010

I'm not a violent person but I honestly wanted to shoot these elite contollers who round up kids and use them as entertainment pawns for their own entertainment. It reminded me of Nazi Germany that really bothered me.

On a big plus, if your going to make a film based on violence then show some!!! (Think Gladiator). There was no real violence in this film which given the story plot, just makes no sense. Since it was aimed at kids I suppose they had to tame the violence part of it but in reality of the bases of the story, it simply makes no sense. It's like watching Rocky with head protective gear!!!

Comment

• Hdale85
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2006

Well I wouldn't say the movie was based around violence as much as it was survival. You get a clear sense that just surviving is the main part of the games and there's no need to go hunting people as having good survival skills will keep you alive much longer.

I thought the movie was very good, sure some scenes were pretty disturbing but frankly I think that added to the realism of the movie and made it more enjoyably. I don't like it when Directors/Script writers change things simply because they feel the audience can't handle it.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2001

Well it's definitely a film for the younger generation. I rented it and , though the acting was good, the whole thing seemed to lag a bit. It came in at 2 hours and 20 some minutes and I really feel it could have been edited to at least 2 hours. I'm glad the gladiators were at least in their teens. Younger children killing each other would have been too much for me. As it was, I didn't like the death scene of that little African American girl.
            My Homepage!

Comment

• impala454
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Oct 2007

George I agree it did kinda lag a bit at times.

Originally posted by madmac
              I'm not a violent person but I honestly wanted to shoot these elite contollers who round up kids and use them as entertainment pawns for their own entertainment. It reminded me of Nazi Germany that really bothered me.
              If that bothered you then the story did its job

Originally posted by madmac
              On a big plus, if your going to make a film based on violence then show some!!! (Think Gladiator). There was no real violence in this film which given the story plot, just makes no sense. Since it was aimed at kids I suppose they had to tame the violence part of it but in reality of the bases of the story, it simply makes no sense. It's like watching Rocky with head protective gear!!!
              According to the making of it they were careful with the child violence in order to avoid an R rating. Trust me over the next couple of movies there will be plenty of violence :B
              -Chuck

Comment

• joeybutts
                • Sep 2009

I found the story to be quite interesting and disturbing. It brought forth a part of human civilization that is hard to fathom since that is why we call ourselves civilized.

The wife and I watched it and I told her I thought they did a nice job of keeping it true to the violence and depth of those actions, but that there was an opportunity here for it to be WAY worse. I am glad they did the former. According to the little bit she told me about the book, a lot of violence was left out, like in the dog scene. (don't want to spoil anything. :T )

Comment

• audioqueso
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Nov 2004

Well, I can't see anyone who liked Kick Ass say that this movie bothered them.. lol
                  I liked it. Good movie. However, as I watched the movie, I had the feeling that the whole IDEA to even make/write this movie... started off with the idea to remake Arnold's The Running Man.
                  B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• impala454
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • Oct 2007

Eh you might say that from only seeing The Hunger Games but the trilogy on the whole tells a much broader story.
                    -Chuck

Comment

• Chris D
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Dec 2000

You know, I just rented this, and I have to say, I was underwhelmed as well. Again, with all the hooplah, I was expecting more.

GREAT story concept and backstory/world construct. Yes, I was disturbed by the "big city" society that took such pleasure in the event. And I did also find it curious that such a brutal theme would shy away so much from showing the actual violence. Not that I WANTED to see it, just that it was rather strange. If they were trying to make it watchable by kids, I'll just say that there's no way that I will let my kids watch it, even without actually showing the violence without cutaways. The subject itself is just too brutal.

I'm intrigued to read the books. I liked the movie. But I wasn't super impressed by it. I'll also watch the future movies.
                      CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• madmac
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Aug 2010

Originally posted by Chris D
                        You know, I just rented this, and I have to say, I was underwhelmed as well. Again, with all the hooplah, I was expecting more.

GREAT story concept and backstory/world construct. Yes, I was disturbed by the "big city" society that took such pleasure in the event. And I did also find it curious that such a brutal theme would shy away so much from showing the actual violence. Not that I WANTED to see it, just that it was rather strange. If they were trying to make it watchable by kids, I'll just say that there's no way that I will let my kids watch it, even without actually showing the violence without cutaways. The subject itself is just too brutal.

I'm intrigued to read the books. I liked the movie. But I wasn't super impressed by it. I'll also watch the future movies.
                        I agree totally. Not acceptable for kids...maybe late teenagers but NOT kids. In that sense, they should have made it a little more action oriented and PG 16+. Like George said, I kinda' dragged a bit at times.

Comment

• impala454
                          Ultra Senior Member
                          • Oct 2007

I don't really understand you guys' perspective. You're saying it is too violent an idea but then saying you wish it had been more violent?
                          -Chuck

Comment

• Chris D
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Dec 2000

Yeah, I understand the confusion, Chuck. I'd put it like this--I don't wish it had been more violent. I think the violence is inherent, whether the final shot cuts away at the last split second or not. I think by cutting away, the filmmakers tried to pretend (and/or appease the FCC) that the film was less violent than it is. I think cutting away only made it .01% less violent.

Was the violent theme and content gratuitous? moderately. The story is violent. I think it would be beyond ignorant to think you could make a movie about kids killing kids without directly addressing the killing. So I don't think it matters, terribly, in a scene where a child throws a spear into another child, whether you show the spear impacting the child or not. Either way, it's just as repugnant.

At the very least, it's refreshing that the film makers did not go the OTHER direction, in an Eli Roth or Tarrantino manner, and GLORIFY the violence or make it extra gory. Now THAT would made it even more repugnant.
                            CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Hdale85
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Jan 2006

I think the movie is more about the state of mankind and how easily it would be for our morals to get way out of skew more so then the actual games. The games was a medium more or less. I just don't think the point of the movie was really to show of kids killing kids and what not.

Comment

• impala454
                                Ultra Senior Member
                                • Oct 2007

I think by cutting away, the filmmakers tried to pretend (and/or appease the FCC) that the film was less violent than it is.
                                They actually said in the making of bonus features, that they cut away the actual gore to keep themselves in a PG13 rating. I'm pretty sure the filmmakers knew the level of violence which was inherent in the story and weren't attempting to gloss over the idea. This was a rare occasion where the author of the books actually had a very large role in the movie's development.

Was the violent theme and content gratuitous? moderately. The story is violent. I think it would be beyond ignorant to think you could make a movie about kids killing kids without directly addressing the killing. So I don't think it matters, terribly, in a scene where a child throws a spear into another child, whether you show the spear impacting the child or not. Either way, it's just as repugnant.
                                I think you guys will probably change your tune if you read the entire book series, or once you see the second film. You have to remember this is the first part of a trilogy, and unlike many trilogies, it's not a stand alone film. You really have only seen the tip of the iceberg of this story, and I believe once you see the rest of the story you'll realize that the Hunger Games deathmatch is only a very small part. I honestly can't say much more than that without delving into spoiler tags . Think of it like Star Wars. If you only watched the chronological first one (A New Hope) you'd think the story was all about Luke Skywalker. When you see all six you really find that Anakin/Vader is the real story.

At the very least, it's refreshing that the film makers did not go the OTHER direction, in an Eli Roth or Tarrantino manner, and GLORIFY the violence or make it extra gory. Now THAT would made it even more repugnant.
                                Agreed. I'm pretty sure people would have been walking out of the theater had you been watching a 12 year old get his head chopped off. The whole thing here to me is, these reactions I'm seeing from you guys is exactly the reaction the author wanted! Hatred of the capitol and the way they treat the games like a super bowl is what drives the rest of the story.
                                -Chuck

Comment

• impala454
                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                  • Oct 2007

Originally posted by Hdale85
                                  I think the movie is more about the state of mankind and how easily it would be for our morals to get way out of skew more so then the actual games. The games was a medium more or less. I just don't think the point of the movie was really to show of kids killing kids and what not.
                                  Ok you said it with a lot less words than me :T
                                  -Chuck

Comment

• Silver1omo
                                    • Sep 2010

I did not liked the movie a lot, but in my case the reason is that the book is a lot better.
                                    I believe that they forgot to add the hunger part to the entire movie, that should have helped to show the real weight of a lot of the actions of the main characters.

The acting was good, Jennifer Lawrence did a great job, Josh Hutcherson lacked a bit.

I'm looking forward to watch the other 2 movies of the saga.
                                    Ivan.
                                    My Statement monitors

Comment

• madmac
                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                      • Aug 2010

You are so right about that Silver. They really did not play up on the hunger thing at all really!.

Comment

• Hdale85
                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                        • Jan 2006

Yeah the strongest mention of it was her telling her sister not to take any extra food.

Comment

• impala454
                                          Ultra Senior Member
                                          • Oct 2007

There was definitely more background at the beginning of the book. As well as the interactions between the people of district 12 and the capitol peacekeepers. Not to mention between Katniss and her "prep team", the ones who got her all cleaned up and dressed for each appearance.

Though I guess that's pretty much a no brainer. Every book -> movie loses plenty in the translation. An author can spend three pages talking about how a tree looks. Movies don't have time for that.
                                          -Chuck

Comment

• june
                                            • Feb 2005

hello all,

the REDBOX rentals only have a dolby digital sound track :M
                                            June
                                            "IF YOU FAIL TO PLAN, YOU PLAN TO FAIL"

Comment

• Hdale85
                                              Moderator Emeritus
                                              • Jan 2006

blu-ray? I have to say the DTS-HD track on this movie in 7.1 was quite good That train passing over the screen sounded pretty awesome as far as surround effects. I haven't had surround very long though haha!

Comment

• Chris D
                                                Moderator Emeritus
                                                • Dec 2000

I also meant to say that I think there's something in the story that is similar to themes in "Lord of the Flies", exploring man's inner brutality.
                                                CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Silver1omo
                                                  • Sep 2010

Originally posted by impala454
                                                  Though I guess that's pretty much a no brainer. Every book -> movie loses plenty in the translation. An author can spend three pages talking about how a tree looks. Movies don't have time for that.
                                                  Yup, and even if they did, it won't match what you "saw" when reading. I just think that the hunger part was really important.

All in and out it was good.
                                                  Ivan.
                                                  My Statement monitors

Comment

• Ovation
                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                    • Sep 2004

Just watched this and I agree with much already posted above. While perhaps lacking in nuance, I'd give this a shorthand description of "The Running Man meets Lord of the Flies". Jennifer Lawrence was excellent (as she has been in everything I've seen her). The premise is interesting and disturbing (as it should be).

I'll watch the other two films for sure (though I'm unlikely to add them to the collection unless I can get a serious bargain). Rental version lacked any extras (not unusual) and had lossy audio (first time I see that happen).

May eventually check out the books (my daughter will likely want to read them and it's the kind of story that I'd like read first--she asks a lot of questions about what she reads). It'll be a while before I let her tackle the books or films, though.

Comment

• madmac
                                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                                      • Aug 2010

Originally posted by june
                                                      hello all,

the REDBOX rentals only have a dolby digital sound track :M

Poor June had to live with Dolby Digital 5.1 ???? Awwww!!! Hehehe :rofl:

Comment

• aud19
                                                        Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                                        • Aug 2003

Still have to rent this...maybe the wife and I will have time this weekend :lol:
                                                        Jason

Comment

• dan87951
                                                          • Nov 2005

I really enjoyed this movie! Nice story line as well (because its different)
                                                          dan87951
                                                          audio guru

Comment

• M.Roberts8
                                                            • Jan 2006

The movie is pretty true to the book but the book is more violent. I read all three books after seeing the movie. My daughter loved the series her & her friends seemed more caught up in the "love" story parts than the politics/violence of the games.
                                                            If they stay true to the books the next two films should be pretty good. Disturbing content for sure but good. I'm not sure if the books were really aimed for pre-teen/teen audience or not but they are pretty decent books.

I should also add these books led to some pretty serious discussions between my daughter & I.

Comment

• impala454
                                                              Ultra Senior Member
                                                              • Oct 2007

Originally posted by Ovation
                                                              Rental version lacked any extras (not unusual) and had lossy audio (first time I see that happen).
                                                              The retail version has DTS-HD MA and a pretty nice "making of" series of videos. Well worth the current $18 price tag IMHO.
                                                              -Chuck

Comment

• Ovation
                                                                Super Senior Member
                                                                • Sep 2004

I'll probably buy the "box set" of the trilogy when it's complete (I've already gone on a BD buying binge that would make a drunken sailor on a 3 day shore leave green with envy at my recklessness--on the upside, I've got enough movies to get me through this (*^*&^%*^$(&%$%@##@ NHL lockout).

Comment

• aud19
                                                                  Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                                                  • Aug 2003

I've got enough movies to get me through this (*^*&^%*^$(&%$%@##@ NHL lockout).
                                                                  Grrrrrrr :M I guess, if a lockout had to happen, this was the year for it to happen for me. Twin boys still in the hospital has a way of eating away time. Wouldn't have been able to watch many games anyway :lol:
                                                                  Jason

Comment

• Chris D
                                                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                                                    • Dec 2000

I'm watching the movie "Goon" right now on TV, with the guy that plays Stiffler playing semi-pro hockey.
                                                                    CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• impala454
                                                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                                                      • Oct 2007

And he was watching Hunger Games or something?
                                                                      -Chuck

Comment

• Hdale85
                                                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                                                        • Jan 2006

Think that might of been intended for the what were you watching last night thread?

Comment

• aud19
                                                                          Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                                                          • Aug 2003
                                                                          • 16706

I think he brought it up as that's what he's getting his hockey fix with :lol:
                                                                          Jason

Comment

• Hdale85
                                                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                                                            • Jan 2006
                                                                            • 16075

Oh.....yeah I see that now lol I missed a few of the previous posts.

Comment

• aud19
                                                                              Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                                                              • Aug 2003
                                                                              • 16706

#39
                                                                              And now to bring the thread convo full circle...

Hockey violence and how it relates to the violence in Hunger Games? :lol:

...and go!
                                                                              Jason

Comment

• Chris D
                                                                                Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                • Dec 2000
                                                                                • 16877

#40
                                                                                Oh, only that there are a few minor "Tide me overs" while the hockey season is out.
                                                                                CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• impala454
                                                                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                                                                  • Oct 2007
                                                                                  • 3814

#41
                                                                                  Ha, I was just bein a stay on topic nazi.

-Chuck

Comment

• Ovation
                                                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                                                    • Sep 2004
                                                                                    • 2202

#42
                                                                                    I've got Slap Shot, Miracle and The Rocket in rotation for my hockey fix, but as much as I enjoy these films, it's still a poor substitute.

As for hockey violence and The Hunger Games, if they hew closer to the Running Man aspect in the sequel, they can have a confrontation on a rink with razor-sharp steel hockey sticks.

Comment

• impala454
                                                                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                                                                      • Oct 2007
                                                                                      • 3814

#43
                                                                                      I'm actually really interested to see how the second one turns out, as the book has a pretty crazy elaborate setup that seems to me would be extremely difficult to replicate in a film.
                                                                                      -Chuck

Comment

• aud19
                                                                                        Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                        • Aug 2003
                                                                                        • 16706

#44
                                                                                        FINALLY got to watch this. Have to agree that I think they made a mistake going for the PG13 rating. Should have been at least 14A IMO due to the subject matter but then they have PG13 violence in a 14A story...seemed "middling" and confusing.

Otherwise I thoroughly enjoyed it. Great story and commentary on society and a sort of "what if" if we continue on our current questionable trajectory. As noted by others, I'm becoming an ever bigger fan of one Ms. Lawrence. She's really a fantastic actress.

Excited to see the next one and if I ever have time to read again, go through the books as well :T
                                                                                        Jason

Comment

Working...
                                                                                        Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                        Search Result for "|||"