X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • thadman
    • Jan 2007

Series at the level of Rome and Band of Brothers

I picked up the first two seasons of Rome and Band of Brothers for Christmas and thoroughly enjoyed them. They have renewed my interest in movies. Are there any series that come close to the level that these two shows have achieved in terms of plot, character development, etc that you'd recommend?
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Both Rome and BoB are from HBO productions. Equally good period pieces IMO are Deadwood and Carnivàle.

Be warned the language used in Deadwood is extremely 'raw" and not for anyone squeamish about the f-word, cock-s**ker or similar....

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• greenhorn
      • Feb 2007

Try I Clavdivs

I made this post a little while back, big fan of Rome. If slick isn't important I highly recommend I Clavdivs. Run time is 740 minutes so sit back relax and enjoy the show. I would say to watch it on a fairly consistant basis (unless you're a scholar of Roman history) so you can keep even with the characters and plots.

Big fan of earlier Deadwood, but I thought it lost traction towards the later stage. Tried Carnivàle, but just couldn't get into it.

Comment

• Miroku
        • Jul 2004

The Wire

It doesnt have the production budget of Rome or BoB but it has everything else. Intricate story, deep characters, excellent writing. The Wire is truly a treasure of modern television.

Start with season 1, and remember, all the pieces matter!

Comment

• H.Donald
          • Aug 2004

Let me second the Wire...simply my favorite TV series ever.And season 4,last year...was the finest bit of entertainment ever made,movies or television.

Given all the fluff that is on tv,it has restored my faith in the medium...you learn,you think,then repeat.

"You think it's one way,but it's the other way."

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"