X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • greenhorn
    • Feb 2007

Rome (also Rome and I Clavdivs)

Man I love this series :T We purchased season 2 a few months ago and decided to watch season 1 again before watching season 2. Season 1 DVD set was a gift (to me from my wife) some time ago and Season 2 DVD set was a more recent gift (for the wife). The first time was watched was during a limited free HBO period where all episodes were availible "On Demand", boy oh boy did we sit around and watch Rome that weekend. Anyway.

I think the acting is first rate, one other big thing is not "knowing" the actors, who they are. I think new faces are really good sometimes. It is a good looking cast also, the women are attractive and the men are, well I guess it wouldn't work out if there were only women.

The story is solid and draws you in, there are characters you like and those you don't. Your sad when bad things happen to the people you like, mad when good things happen to those you don't. Then there are those you like at times and dislike at others, I think that is a good quality, when a character is strong enough to do that. There are also the side characters that just pop up once in a while that are fun, like the news reader.

Visually the show is great, as a bit of a history fan (not knowledgable enough to be a history buff) I enjoy the opprotunity to get some what I guess is a voyeuristic look into the past, so it's not 100% accurate, still enough to get a feel for things. The violence is a bit graphic and I'm not one much into violence, but it does have historical context and is not as gratuitous as is found in many movies.

The "spicey" bits. Yes there are spicey here and there that's for sure :W

So anyway have to count me as a big fan :T sorry it didn't last any longer. We just finished the 2nd episode of season 2 and very much looking forward to the rest.

Rome is an interesting contrast to I Clavdivs which we also have on DVD. If you happen to think Rome was a little too glossy and slick, I Clavdivs went the other route. I Clavdivs was a bit more sparse, presented in a style much like a play. The acting and the story had a more subtle under current. While they each have significant elements of cunning, guile, treachery.... Rome brings it forth pretty direct, where as with I Clavdivs there is a bit more of a slow build and you have to more attention for all the nuances. Rome tends to draw you in gaping and staring, I Clavdivs draws you in with a much more intellectual or focused manner. Not sure if that make sense, let me put it this way... I Clavdivs requires that you pay pretty close attention, the more attention paid, the more you get out of it, the more it draws you in. With Rome it's pretty much layed out in an easy to understand, not a lot of thought needed....(but pretty spectacularly none the less)

I highly recommend them both, literally, if you've seen one it's very interesting to also see the other. Very much the same, very much different. Both are hours and hours of quality watching in my opinion.
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

If HBO had been available in my area I would likely have watched that series, but box sets are pretty expensive here so I tend to avoid purchasing them.
    My Homepage!

Comment

Working...
    Searching...Please wait.
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
    There are no results that meet this criteria.
    Search Result for "|||"