• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pat
    Super Senior Member
    • Aug 2000

Rolling Stone's 100 Greatest Guitarists of All Time

Have you seen this crock!

Anyone see Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, Eric Johnson????
    Eddie Van Halen is #70??? What!?!

There are too many things wrong with this list.

1 Jimmi Hendrix
    2 Duane Allman of the Allman Brothers Band
    3 B.B. King
    4 Eric Clapton
    5 Robert Johnson
    6 Chuck Berry
    7 Stevie Ray Vaughan
    8 Ry Cooder
    9 Jimmy Page of Led Zeppelin
    10 Keith Richards of the Rolling Stones
    11Kirk Hammett of Metallica
    12 Kurt Cobain of Nirvana
    13 Jerry Garcia of the Grateful Dead
    14 Jeff Beck
    15 Carlos Santana
    16 Johnny Ramone of the Ramones
    17 Jack White of the White Stripes
    18 John Frusciante of the Red Hot Chili Peppers
    19 Richard Thompson
    20 James Burton
    21 George Harrison
    22 Mike Bloomfield
    23 Warren Haynes
    24 The Edge of U2
    25 Freddy King
    26 Tom Morello of Rage Against the Machine and Audioslave
    27 Mark Knopfler of Dire Straits
    28 Stephen Stills
    29 Ron Asheton of the Stooges
    30 Buddy Guy
    31 Dick Dale
    32 John Cipollina of Quicksilver Messenger Service
    33 & 34 Lee Ranaldo, Thurston Moore of Sonic Youth
    35 John Fahey
    36 Steve Cropper of Booker T. and the MG's
    37 Bod Diddley
    38 Peter Green of Fleetwood Mac
    39 Brian May of Qeen
    40 John Fogerty of Creedence Clearwater Revival
    41 Clarence White of the Byrds
    42 Robert Fripp of King Crimson
    43 Eddie Hazel of Funkadelic
    44 Scotty Moore
    45 Frank Zappa
    46 Les Paul
    47 T-Bone Walker
    48 Joe Perry of Aerosmith
    49 John McLaughlin
    50 Pete Townshend
    51 Paul Kossoff of Free
    52 Lou Reed
    53 Mickey Baker
    54 Jorma Kaukonen of Jefferson Airplane
    55 Ritchie Blackmore of Deep Purple
    56 Tom Verlaine of Television
    57 Roy Buchanan
    58 Dickey Betts
    59 & 60 Jonny Greenwood, Ed O'Brien of Radiohead
    61 Ike Turner
    62 Zoot Horn Rollo of the Magic Band
    63 Danny Gatton
    64 Mick Ronson
    65 Hubert Sumlin
    66 Vernon Reid of Living Colour
    67 Link Wray
    68 Jerry Miller of Moby Grape
    69 Steve Howe of Yes
    70 Eddie Van Halen
    71 Lightnin' Hopkins
    72 Joni Mitchell
    73 Trey Anastasio of Phish
    74 Johnny Winter
    75 Adam Jones of Tool
    76 Ali Farka Toure
    77 Henry Vestine of Canned Heat
    78 Robbie Robertson of the Band
    79 Cliff Gallup of the Blue Caps (1997)
    80 Robert Quine of the Voidoids
    81 Derek Trucks
    82 David Gilmour of Pink Floyd
    83 Neil Young
    84 Eddie Cochran
    85 Randy Rhoads
    86 Tony Iommi of Black Sabbath
    87 Joan Jett
    88 Dave Davies of the Kinks
    89 D. Boon of the Minutemen
    90 Glen Buxton of Alice Cooper
    91 Robby Krieger of the Doors
    92 & 93 Fred "Sonic" Smith, Wayne Kramer of the MC5
    94 Bert Jansch
    95 Kevin Shields of My Bloody Valentine
    96 Angus Young of AC/DC
    97 Robert Randolph
    98 Leigh Stephens of Blue Cheer
    99 Greg Ginn of Black Flag
    100 Kim Thayil of Soundgarden

Pat's Page
    Pat's Page
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Knopfler's 27th :wtf: I don't have a problem with their being 26 better guitar players in the world but they certinally aren't the ones they have listen...and I agree where's Eric Johnsons and Vai etc? And did they think to look outside Rock? They're some incredible guitar players in Jazz and flemenco music (jesse cook, Gypsy Kings etc)

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2001

Well Knopfler is better than 27th in my book. And I'd rate Carlos Santana higher than 15. And yeah, there are many jazz guitarists not mentioned as Andrew just pointed out.

My Homepage!
      My Homepage!

Comment

• Burke Strickland
        • Sep 2001

Originally posted by Andrew Pratt
        They're some incredible guitar players in Jazz and flemenco music
        To say nothing of CLASSICAL guitar -- Andre Segovia, Pepe Romero, Angel Romero, Naoko Yamashita, Kazuhito Yamashita, John Williams, Julian Bream... what were the dudes at Rolling Stone smoking when they made up their list? Er, don't answer that. :>)

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• dave
          • Aug 2003

They are all under that Rolling Stone! Talk about creating some Bloopers here, they must have a bad case of Tunnel Vision :!:

dave
          Dave...

Comment

• Pat
            Super Senior Member
            • Aug 2000

I agree with all of you...Rolling Stone really screwed the pooch on this one

Pat's Page
            Pat's Page

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Well I was actually upset enough with this list that I emailed the editor and sent him a link to his page...

Comment

• Chris D
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Dec 2000

Uhhhhhhh....... :wtf: I can NOT believe that Rolling Stone magazine posted that particular ranking. Excuse me... Curt Cobain is as high as #12 but Van Halen is #70? (interesting, though, that this was posted right after I listed the trivia question in the separate topic) I won't even get into other particulars, but this list seems to be out of whack, even given latitude for subjective appraisals of playing ability.

CHRIS
                Luke: "Hey, I'm not such a bad pilot myself, you know"
                CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                - Pleasantville

Comment

• Bob
                  • Jul 2000

As long as we are trashing Rolling Stone Magazine (which is well deserved), here is a copy of the famous "Joan Jett letter to the Rolling Stone editor regarding their Women in Rock issue". Although it is posted on the Joan Jett website the original writer was not Joan but, she endorses the sentiment.

I tried to find some cleverly worded way to express my disgust with your "Women in Rock" issue, but what I have to say is really quite simple: You guys are completely retarded.

By RS standards, Rock is no longer a style of music but a trendy costume to be whipped up by expensive stylists and slapped onto the latest pop tart Barbie doll. Give a girl some tight pants and a spiky bracelet and POOF! She ROCKS!

Your poor choice of cover girls and featured artists brings to mind the Sports Illustrated swimsuit editions. There is nothing necessarily wrong with the breast-baring models inside…but we all understand that they have NOTHING TO DO WITH SPORTS, which just might be offensive to women who are interested in sports or who might even be (gasp) real athletes.

Yes, Britney has a talented stylist and yes, somebody gave Shakira a Guns & Roses t-shirt to wear…but they ARE NOT NOW NOR WILL THEY EVER BE ROCK.

Maybe it's naive of me to expect any glimmer of rock'n'roll credibility OR respect for women from a magazine whose cover shot is regularly a naked underweight actress. The thing is, I AM a woman musician with a rock band, and as we all are I am STARVED for any little crumb of recognition that real women rockers might be thrown. So like a sucker I find myself short another five bucks…and pissed enough to write my first letter to an editor.

Avril Lavigne gets some studded accessories from Hot Topic so now she's "upholding the brazen tradition of teenage outrage"???!! Are you SERIOUS? And could someone please explain to me why people keep insisting on referring to PINK as rock? Wasn't she doing the white girl hip hop thing a minute ago? Yeah, she performed on the Aerosmith tribute show-big deal…she was on the Janet Jackson tribute show just before that- Whatever's trendy. WHO CARES? She's a Spice Girl reject...but I digress.

Jewel and Mandy friggin' Moore have full page features as Rock Icons...Meanwhile Joan Jett gets one line. ONE LINE. Joan Jett & the Blackhearts, who have never stopped touring, recently did 10 days in the Middle East playing for the troops stationed in Afghanistan. In AFGHANISTAN, Joan would come onstage wearing a birkha, which she ripped off and stomped on before blazing through the purest and nastiest rock show ANYWHERE. But even in the RS WOMEN IN ROCK issue, a story like that gets ONE SENTENCE on the bottom of the last page of Random Notes. Britney's Rock credentials? Well, she butchers the song "I Love Rock'n'Roll" on her latest record, and, when asked about it, the genius replies, "Well, I've always loved Pat Benatar." And SHE is your Rock issue cover girl? You should be REALLY embarrassed.

Sleater Kinney was the only rock group listed on the cover, and they got only half a page. Ashanti, the r&b back up singer who can't seem to do anything without "featuring Jah Rule," has two pages. What about the Donnas? The Yeah Yeah Yeahs? The Distillers? A mag like RS has the power to shine important light on groups like these--instead they are afterthoughts, and that valuable spotlight is wasted on the same overexposed pop princesses WHO HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH ROCK.

In your own letter from the editor you have the hypocritical balls to say "rock radio won't touch female artists, while the pop factory keeps churning out soundalike clones, and ambitious musicians with something to say find themselves left out in the cold." The pages that follow those words are a blatant display that Rolling Stone magazine is happily working for the factory now too.

If the issue had been called "Women in Music" or maybe "Some Cute Girls with Top 10 Records out Right Now" I would have no beef with it. Corny as it may sound, ROCK is something which is still meaningful and even sacred to some of us. Use the word "rock" in bold letters next to a picture of Britney Fucking Spears, and you're turning your whole publication into a joke...and an offensive joke at that.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Jan 2001

Boy, she sure got that right.

My Homepage!
                    My Homepage!

Comment

• ThomasW
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2000

What a hoot the MTV generation is sooo myopic.

Absolutely NO mention of Steve Morse who was 'Guitar Player' magazine guitarist of the year EIGHT years in a row. They finally had to remove his name from the competition so someone else could win. The winners BTW were voted on by other guitarists, not the general public.

My vote for the best guitarist in the solar system is Paco de Lucia. His speed and accuracy make the folks on the Rolling Stone's list look and sound like rank amatures..

theAudioWorx
                      Klone-Audio

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• David Meek
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Aug 2000

JJ is absolutely on target with her reply. RS should be ashamed! :evil:

Eddie #70? Bonnie Raitt not mentioned at all? Puh-lease. :roll:

David - HTGuide flunky
                        Our "Theater"
                        Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Chris D
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Dec 2000

Also in reference to our latest discussion in the Music Trivia thread in this section, notice that the guitarist that Eddie Van Halen stated is the best in the world, Phil Keaggy, also didn't make the list.

CHRIS
                          Luke: "Hey, I'm not such a bad pilot myself, you know"
                          CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                          - Pleasantville

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"