This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jim777
    • Mar 2005

Anyone listened to the X-DACv8? Compared it to the competition? I'm thinking of one for PC, DTV and DVD (Hd,etc.) usage..

Comment

• Cambs12
      • Jul 2006

Jim,just a thought,the new A1008 integrated has a built in DAC which is the same spec as the DAC you mention,i can't remember the other kit you have,but this might be an interesting option...i.e you could link all your compatible kit requiring external DAC assistance.

Comment

• jim777
        • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Cambs12
        Jim,just a thought,the new A1008 integrated has a built in DAC which is the same spec as the DAC you mention,i can't remember the other kit you have,but this might be an interesting option...i.e you could link all your compatible kit requiring external DAC assistance.
        I do no want to replace my McIntosh MA6500 and MCD201 SACD/CD player. These should last many years before getting "out of date". I want a solution to get great sound with my video sources without loosing money each time I upgrade. HT changes too fast to get the same quality as my MCD201 on music. I could get the new MVP871 DVD/SACD/CD player but it costs 5300$ US and it doesn't do bluray or HD-DVD. What about a 1500$ DAC that will work today with my oppo and will also work with a HiRes player in the future, with a PC connection as bonus.

So the X-DACv8 suits my needs as far as features go. I would like some comparative comments on its sound quality before auditionning and/or buying it. Competition is the Grace m902, Benchmark DAC1, and others. USB is not 100% necessary but nice to have. So is the tube option

Comment

• Cambs12
          • Jul 2006

I can see your Mac gear is better than the A1008! The M/F Dac sounds like a good option with the other equipment tho.I am curious now what a good off-board DAC would do for my Denon dvd player(i have a seperate cinema system to the main system),and condidering a server input also..

Comment

• alebonau
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Oct 2005

Yep,i think it is definitely what they were referring to..
            Interestingly,the new A1008 integrated i believe has an off-board power supply,and also a new cd player to join it coming soon...
            How are the Focal's doing,any more thoughts about how they go together with the A5s?
            absolutely lovign the focal utopia divas cambs if you were considering the B&W 802Ds I'd defintely recommend checkign the divas out as well. a lovely speaker and they seem to work a treat with the MF A5CD plus A5cr pre-pwr. clear articulate sound, vocals with a very nice warmth, lovely soundstage and yeah the bass ...clean & punchy !

ps re the a1008, doing a search on yahoo showed up some info re the integrated amp and the cd player.

not too sure on the CD player - a top loader, looks a bit over the top

and the amp
            "Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."

Comment

• Cambs12
              • Jul 2006

the cd player looks awful! I have just read M/Fs email regarding the amp 'superchargers',look an interesting addition to the range,running between amp and speaker..I am happy i have enough power tho with my Trivista,and i reckon the A5 wouldn't need these either...would be interesting between a low power tube amp and a low efficiency pair off 800ds or suchlike!

Comment

• alebonau
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Oct 2005

the cd player looks awful! I have just read M/Fs email regarding the amp 'superchargers',look an interesting addition to the range,running between amp and speaker..I am happy i have enough power tho with my Trivista,and i reckon the A5 wouldn't need these either...would be interesting between a low power tube amp and a low efficiency pair off 800ds or suchlike!
                yes I agree re the a1008 cd player - what were they thinking !

yeah dont think the supercharger is pitched at people who already have an amp with a bit of grunt. that said looking at the pic in the mf email it does also appear to have a line level input with a switch to go between speaker or line level. so perhaps also pitched simply as a standard line level input mono bloc. only 3 hrs to go for the big announcement of a new product at mf no doubt the super charger. an interesting concept...

Comment

• alebonau
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Oct 2005

Originally posted by alebonau
                  yes I agree re the a1008 cd player - what were they thinking !

yeah dont think the supercharger is pitched at people who already have an amp with a bit of grunt. that said looking at the pic in the mf email it does also appear to have a line level input with a switch to go between speaker or line level. so perhaps also pitched simply as a standard line level input mono bloc. only 3 hrs to go for the big announcement of a new product at mf no doubt the super charger. an interesting concept...
                  some info on the 550K mono blocs now on the MF website
                  Oh dear, something has gone wrong. Here's a couple of things to try next to get back to the good stuff... Use your browser's 'Back' button and...

though a bit of info not much more than the contents of the MF email

Comment

• Audiophiliac
                    • Apr 2006

SO I assume you can use the Supercharger as an amplifier itself, yes? You dont need an amplifier ahead of it hopefully. What would be interesting would be to use a small SET amp and run it through the 550 and see if you can retain the tube sound and benefit AND have the massive power and dynamic range....that would be a killer setup there.

Comment

• jim777
                      • Mar 2005

I can see your Mac gear is better than the A1008! The M/F Dac sounds like a good option with the other equipment tho.I am curious now what a good off-board DAC would do for my Denon dvd player(i have a seperate cinema system to the main system),and condidering a server input also..
                      I've got a X-DACv8 on its way, I should have it when I get back from my business trip. My idea is to use is for DVD and DTV, but I will review it against my McIntosh MCD201, my OPPO and my SA 8300HD PVR in both tube and SS modes. I might even compare the USB to my Tascam US-144 if someone is interested. I can't wait to hear this thing...

Comment

• Yasvanth
                        • Jun 2006

Hi all MF fans,

Just to let you people know that another person is selling a A5 Pre & A5 Pwr amps on Ebay UK. So if anyones interested now is the time to grab a bargain.

Yours in music

Yas

Comment

• alebonau
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Oct 2005

Well given my trusty missions have headed off to a new home.

I'm very reluctantly decided to sell on my very much loved and trusty musical fidelity gear that has served me well for quite some time.

Its basically the full set ! including ...

1. Musical fidelity Tubalog valve Dac, this particular version with fresh russian 6922 valves and warmed over by mike condor of phantom audio fame
                          2. Musical fidelity The pre-amp, balanced output pre-amp
                          3. Musical fidelity 2x Typhoon 150W mono-blocs, balanced inputs, wide bandwidth 10hz-50khz design

I'm selling them at $400 a pop. If sold as a set I'll let them go for $1,500 for the lot and throw in all analog cables needed($500 worth) to set up the system - including short bi-wire vandenhull speaker cables to go off the mono-blocs, and a set of long balanced interconnects between the pre and the mono blocs. If the buyer is in melbourne I'll even come setup inhome and integrate into their ht system if plannign to run a combined setup.

these are all in absolute mint condition. I have all the original boxes apart for the valve dac, and also have all manuals plus a whole bunch of reviews on the gear if wondering what its like.

I'd prefer to sell locally in melbourne. but otherwise could post it to anywhere in australia at the buyers expense.

The MF pre& mono blocs I demoed vs a lot of other amps in home and continued using vs even the elektra theatre7 I own. It took spending on my current $8k MF A5 pre-pwr combo to get a good step up benfit from them.

The tube dac have had up against a whole bunch of dacs on the market and again only buying the $4k MF A5 CD player gave me enough jump up in performance vs what the dac provides.

Its the kind of setup that would suit someone with a ht setup looking to make a jump into 2ch or alternatively someone with a budget 2ch setup lookign to move up in the world and looking to buy somethign that theyd have to spend a large sum to better.

Basically all you'd need to get going with these is a pair of speakers and a source to feed the dac a digital signal.

below some pics...
                          Tubalog valve DAC, The pre-amp & 2xmono-blocs

Back of pre and DAC

Back of mono-blocs

as you can see from the pics the gear is in tip top nick ! drop me a pm if anyone is interested
                          Attached Files

Comment

• alebonau
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Oct 2005

Originally posted by alebonau
                            Well given my trusty missions have headed off to a new home.

I'm very reluctantly decided to sell on my very much loved and trusty musical fidelity gear that has served me well for quite some time.

Its basically the full set ! including ...

1. Musical fidelity Tubalog valve Dac, this particular version with fresh russian 6922 valves and warmed over by mike condor of phantom audio fame
                            2. Musical fidelity The pre-amp, balanced output pre-amp
                            3. Musical fidelity 2x Typhoon 150W mono-blocs, balanced inputs, wide bandwidth 10hz-50khz design

I'm selling them at $400 a pop. If sold as a set I'll let them go for $1,500 for the lot and throw in all analog cables needed($500 worth) to set up the system - including short bi-wire vandenhull speaker cables to go off the mono-blocs, and a set of long balanced interconnects between the pre and the mono blocs. If the buyer is in melbourne I'll even come setup inhome and integrate into their ht system if plannign to run a combined setup.

these are all in absolute mint condition. I have all the original boxes apart for the valve dac, and also have all manuals plus a whole bunch of reviews on the gear if wondering what its like.

I'd prefer to sell locally in melbourne. but otherwise could post it to anywhere in australia at the buyers expense.

The MF pre& mono blocs I demoed vs a lot of other amps in home and continued using vs even the elektra theatre7 I own. It took spending on my current $8k MF A5 pre-pwr combo to get a good step up benfit from them.

The tube dac have had up against a whole bunch of dacs on the market and again only buying the $4k MF A5 CD player gave me enough jump up in performance vs what the dac provides.

Its the kind of setup that would suit someone with a ht setup looking to make a jump into 2ch or alternatively someone with a budget 2ch setup lookign to move up in the world and looking to buy somethign that theyd have to spend a large sum to better.

Basically all you'd need to get going with these is a pair of speakers and a source to feed the dac a digital signal.

below some pics...
                            Tubalog valve DAC, The pre-amp & 2xmono-blocs

Back of pre and DAC

Back of mono-blocs

as you can see from the pics the gear is in tip top nick ! drop me a pm if anyone is interested
                            as an update the above items have sold, dropped them off this morning to their new home.

Comment

• linuxtx
                              • Apr 2007

Well, I have officially joined club Musical Fidelity. My X-DAC v8 is here and the A5 integrated will be here shortly. I just updated my office audio setup to:

Squeezebox 3/Oppo 970HD -> X-DAC v8 -> A5 integrated -> era Design 4/REL R-205

I am really impressed with Musical Fidelity so far, the DAC has really made my Squeezebox come alive. So far I dont have any SACD or DVD-A software for the Oppo, but that will come soon.

Comment

• Ron Turner
                                • Jun 2007

Help!

I have just registered and can't figure out how to start a new post (possibly due to the late hour ... it is 2.00am here!) I'm not sure whether I am replying to a previous post or creating a new one!

If any members could help advise me on the best upgrade path to significantly improve the sound of my present outfit I would be very grateful.

My present set-up comprises:
                                MF A3 power & pre-amp,
                                Arcam Diva CD72
                                Audiolabs 8000DAC
                                Denon TU1800 DAB/AM/FM Tuner
                                Monitor Audio Silver 9 speakers

I suspect the greatest improvement would be upgrading the CD and or speakers. Advice on best choices of speakers that are known to work well with the A3's & CD player or an alternative path to upgrade would be very welcome.

Thanks,

Ron Turner

Comment

• Yasvanth
                                  • Jun 2006

Hello Rob,

Well you will have to be more specific in what you really want out from your sound system. Are you after a more smoother and laid back sound or do you want far greater detail dynamic capabilities and excitement.

The MF amplifiers that you are using at the moment are fine and so is your Arcam CD72, so the fault must be your choice of speakers or the Audiolab Dac that you are using. If I was you, start auditioning for a new pair of speakers. What sort of price range have you got in mind? Also what sort of interconnects and speaker cables are you using as a lot of people tend to ignore this but this is a vital thing.

Yas

Comment

• alebonau
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Ron Turner
                                    I have just registered and can't figure out how to start a new post (possibly due to the late hour ... it is 2.00am here!) I'm not sure whether I am replying to a previous post or creating a new one!

If any members could help advise me on the best upgrade path to significantly improve the sound of my present outfit I would be very grateful.

My present set-up comprises:
                                    MF A3 power & pre-amp,
                                    Arcam Diva CD72
                                    Audiolabs 8000DAC
                                    Denon TU1800 DAB/AM/FM Tuner
                                    Monitor Audio Silver 9 speakers

I suspect the greatest improvement would be upgrading the CD and or speakers. Advice on best choices of speakers that are known to work well with the A3's & CD player or an alternative path to upgrade would be very welcome.

Thanks,

Ron Turner
                                    hi ron,

I agree with yas and what you say suspectign the biggest improvement on cd or speakers front. the speakers will influence the sound the most and depending what your after will determine your choice there.

I'd sugest maybe tryign to locate an A3-a3.2 CD player often come up on ebay or an a3.2 DAC. sometimes ebay sellers are willing ot demo if it gets them a sale. for speakers the gold series MA was very impressed with if your jsut chasign better fo the MA sound but if looking for different charecteristics maybe worth looking at other brands other speakers.

Comment

• Cambs12
                                      • Jul 2006

Rob,what types of music do you enjoy most? might influence rewcommendations for speakers/cables etc.Also,what size of liustening room do you have etc.

Comment

• jim777
                                        • Mar 2005

Since the X-DACv8 has tubes, can it be left powered 24/7? (Power can't be controlled by remote control)

Comment

• linuxtx
                                          • Apr 2007

Originally posted by jim777
                                          Since the X-DACv8 has tubes, can it be left powered 24/7? (Power can't be controlled by remote control)
                                          I was kind of wondering the same thing... Mine has been on for the past week, but should I be turning it off?

Comment

• Cambs12
                                            • Jul 2006

My trivista amp and A5 cd player have valves,and certainly do sound better after long periods warmed up.
                                            I believe there is a finite life for valves,about 10 years or so almost continuous,tho this i guess could be variable.You would need to check with M/F.i know you can buy spare valves,indeed i am about to do that for my Trivista.
                                            Although personally i much prefer the sound of hifi left powered up continuously,i am not keen on leaving electrical equipment powered up whilst out of the house...

Comment

• jim777
                                              • Mar 2005

The X-DACv8 has common easy-to-find tubes, so replacing them in years to come is a no-brainer. So I guess that I shouldn't bother with this question, if the tubes bust, I'll just get some better ones

Comment

• jim777
                                                • Mar 2005

X-DACv8 - First impressions

I'll do this review of my new X-DACv8 according to my first experiments.

First of all, this DAC is both very musical and analytical, which is pretty good. There is detail, but the "foot tapping" factor is there. Both the SS and tube modes are useful. The SS output is voiced like any other great DAC, and the tube output has a bit more of fat around the bone in low frequencies. The tubes add some fun to some instruments like guitar and piano, so that there is some more emotion. All this is done without really loosing any detail, so it's all a question of personnal taste. I'm a McIntosh kind of guy so the MF tube sound is fine with me. For the comparisons to follow, I used SS mode because it's volume isn't boosted and it sounds more like the other stuff so it will be easier to do the comparisons.

X-DACv8 vs SA8300HD analog outputs
                                                I got this DAC to get better sound from my DTV (PVR) and DVD player, so I'll begin with this. I fired a music performance from a late night show, and the difference was night and day here. I didn't think the SA8300HD was great, but I didn't knew it was so horrible. I won't even bother with a big description of the differences. Overall, more bass and treble with the X-DACv8, more detail, and a lot more fun to listen to (so not just better in an audiophile sense). The only tradeof is that the quality of the DAC will render more sibilances, because the SA8300HD is lacking high frequencies compared to it. Not a big deal really.

X-DACv8 vs OPPO (971h) analog outputs
                                                I also got the DAC for my DVD player, thinking that it would be a better move than buying a high price DVD player just to change it for a BluRay one later and for something else later. The DAC will stay and will give me good audio performance from any decent transport. Well I was pretty spot on, I have a nice upgrade from X-DACv8, especially if some of you are using the OPPO for audio CD's. For music DVD's, I also got more bass extension, and a lot more of "fun" overall. It is not always easy to find and describe differences, but when I have the urge to listen to something and it makes my foot tap, well I think that all the other audiophile superlatives are pretty useless. So I'm also happy with the X-DACv8 for the OPPO, although the upgrade isn't as night-and-day as with the SA8300HD or with my old 90$ LG DVD player.

X-DACv8 vs McIntosh MCD201
                                                Ok, here the MCD201 wins, but it costed me 3x more, so I guess this isn't a fair comparison. Overall the X-DACv8 is great, but only when compared to the MCD201, things like cymbals all sounded the same (with the MCD201 each brush of the cymbals sounded different, with different intensity). I will not be using the X-DACv8 for audio CD's since I have the MCD201, but I wouldn't be that sad with the X-DACv8.

I could have upgraded my MCD201 to a MVP871 that also does DVD, but I would have the same problem when I would be ready for HD-DVD or BluRay. So I'm pretty happy with my decision and I'm sticking with what I have.

X-DACv8 for USB
                                                OK, I'll be direct and honest - this feature is broke! The audio will skip like hell if browsing some webpage while listening to music. For now, the ASIO.dk driver doesn't work with this DAC either (it looks like a software bug - I contacted the driver author). Besides, for some reason, it doesn't sound quite as good as the digital inputs (although it is still very good). If you need digital audio from your computer only, save a ton of cash and get something like my Tascam US-144. It sounds great, it has a great headphone amp (although not powerful enough for high impedance headphones), and it does not have as much issues. Even though the US-144 doesn't have issues, the X-DACv8 would still skip a bit if I fead it the SPDIF output of my US-144 with a Tascam-supported ASIO driver! The SPDIF "input buffer" must be too small or something and have issues with too much jitter. Ok, another choice would be something like a Slim Device plugged to the X-DACv8. I would do that (with a stand alone network drive) if I didn't have my MCD201. It would make a great music server.

So bottom line, neither the X-DACv8 or the MCD201 are for sale. However, do not rely on a X-DACv8 as a high-end USB sound card - USB is there as a convenience.

I also plan to experiment adding a Wolfson WM8804 to each SPDIF input as soon as this chip becomes available. It has a new jitter attenuating design that will work on much larger jitter frequencies than the X-DACv8 itself. If this upgrades the sound quality, well there should be plenty of place inside the X-DACv8 to add such a small upgrade board. It has a dejitter-only mode (SPDIF in, SPDIF out) so it will be easy to add. It might also help with the skipping issues from a computer SPDIF output.

Hope this helps!

Update
                                                I do not use the USB feature to listen to music while I'm using the computer, but it is convenient for listening to movies when I plug my computer to my TV or projector and my stereo. Sound quality is fine because in that case, the source is MPEG compressed anyway. The audio does not skip while I listen to movies. So finally the USB feature is more useful than I first thought, even though I still think it could be better.
                                                Last edited by jim777; 15 October 2007, 15:30 Monday.

Comment

• linuxtx
                                                  • Apr 2007

Originally posted by jim777
                                                  Ok, another choice would be something like a Slim Device plugged to the X-DACv8. I would do that (with a stand alone network drive) if I didn't have my MCD201. It would make a great music server.

So bottom line, neither the X-DACv8 or the MCD201 are for sale. However, do not rely on a X-DACv8 as a high-end USB sound card - USB is there as a convenience.
                                                  I will chime in here, because this is exactly what I bought the X-DACv8 for. Basically the difference between the Squeezebox 3 analog and the Squeezebox 3 -> X-DACv8 is amazing. It did exactly what I expected, and the combo is cheaper and more flexible than the Transport. Basically speaking the X-DACv8 turned a decent source into a great source, and this is where most of my listening is done.

I also picked up an Oppo DV-970HD for listening to concert DVDs, DVD-A and SACD, but have not spent enough time with it to comment.

I will agree USB is supposed to be a convenience, but poorly implemented in the X-DACv8. I also have a Meier Audio Aria headphone amp with USB DAC, and it does not exhibit the same sort of dropouts that the X-DACv8 does. In fact the Aria makes for a fairly good sound card for critical listening. I dont think I will be using the X-DACv8 USB inputs at in the future. If you are looking at the X-DACv8, you might be better of pretending the USB input does not exist.

Comment

• jim777
                                                    • Mar 2005

Originally posted by linuxtx
                                                    If you are looking at the X-DACv8, you might be better of pretending the USB input does not exist.
                                                    I agree, prospective buyers should not rely on the USB feature for any serious use. I might use it once in a while to check out a lossless file before burning it to CD and that's it.

Comment

• linuxtx
                                                      • Apr 2007

FWIW the Aria uses a Burr-Brown PCM2794 USB DAC while the X-DACv8 uses the PCM2706. Looking at the data sheets, specs are identical on them, both are capable of bus powered or self powered operations. The Aria chose self powered and MF chose bus powered for the X-DACv8. Since the DAC uses no software itself, I am assuming that the power implementations are the problem here. Either way, I dont expect it to be something a driver can fix. I am using Linux and both DACs use the same driver for me. With no other USB specs being different I dont think there is anything the driver can do.

Comment

• Ron Turner
                                                        • Jun 2007

Rob,what types of music do you enjoy most? might influence rewcommendations for speakers/cables etc.Also,what size of liustening room do you have etc.
                                                        Thanks for your posting - sorry I have been away for a few days so have only just read it.

I listen mainly to classical music, anything from Debussy to Mahler and Shostakovich etc. and some jazz, Miles Davis, Oscar Peterson, Dave Brubeck etc.

My room size is just over 13 ft x 27 ft. The speakers are placed at one end of the room at the corners, I have adhered to Monitor Audio's recommended distances from the wall.

Speaker cables are QED 4 x 4,
                                                        Interconnects are:-
                                                        CD to DAC; Monster.
                                                        Pre-amp to power amp; Canare Connections Musiflex.
                                                        DAC to pre-amp; Cord Silver Siren.
                                                        Tuner to pre-amp; Cord Calypso.

I am in my mid 60's, so my hearing is not what it used to be ... in other words I need all the help I can get in that department! I would like a richer more musical and detailed sound with a deeper bass.

I have been wondering whether a sub woofer might help or should I consider other speakers with or without a sub woofer. Also perhaps the interconnects I am using could be improved upon.

I called a branch of Sevenoaks elsewhere in the UK (as their Cardiff branch has recently closed) and they recommended trying Spendor speakers. My local Hi-Fi store (who do not sell MF or rate MF highly) said that I would probably find the Spendors (which again they do not sell) with MF would sound boring They suggested that I audition a pair of Focal JM Lab 826v's.

Thanks for your help,

Ron (not Rob)

Comment

• alebonau
                                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                                          • Oct 2005

hi ron, speakers have a big impact in determining the charecter of the system. and it is such a personal thing as to which best suits your tastes. that said do certainly check out the focals I reckon it is a brands which goes well with mf gear, but yes other options out there too. so do check otu for yourself as to which for you give you what your lookign for.

Comment

• uncle_dito
                                                            • Dec 2006

A1008+A5CR for biamp

Hello all,
                                                            I may be going nuts, but I have been seduced by the A1008 and late review from Hifi Choice: tube preamp, and 25W class A included. I have been looking on how to upgrade my current A5 CR PWe/pRE/cd system, and have decided to try A1008 for Pre+ AMP for higher/mid frequencies, and use the A5 CR to biamp for the bass. This means I will be putting my A5 CR pre on sale sometime soon.
                                                            Maybe next week I will be able to report back.
                                                            regards,
                                                            Hi Fi: Audio Research VT.100mkIII, Reference 3, DAC8; Sony SCDXA5400ES; MF A1008 integrated (backup); B&W 803D (also used in HT setup); IXOS cables XHS553 (644 SPC4mm2 high purity silver speaker cable); Chord Digital Signature coaxial, Chord Optical Optichord; VDH C5 The Bay; MIT AVt 1 analogue interconnects; QNAP TS209 NAS; J River MC21
                                                            HT:Sony STR-DA1200ES (Front Pre Out into Reference 3 HT input); Sony SAVE-835D speakers; Sony Blu ray BDP-5000ES; REL STRATA 5; QED Reference Digital audio

Comment

• Yasvanth
                                                              • Jun 2006

Ok Uncle Dito

We will all look forward to your report next week.
                                                              But I don't think there will be a huge difference in sound quality by upgrading to the A1008 amp and then biamping with the A5 Pwr amp as the circuitry will be almost the same as the A5 Pre.

Happy listening

Yas

Comment

• uncle_dito
                                                                • Dec 2006

Originally posted by Yasvanth
                                                                Ok Uncle Dito

We will all look forward to your report next week.
                                                                But I don't think there will be a huge difference in sound quality by upgrading to the A1008 amp and then biamping with the A5 Pwr amp as the circuitry will be almost the same as the A5 Pre.

Happy listening

Yas
                                                                Hi Yas,
                                                                According to specs and review, the preamp circuitry is the same as KW550, based on tubes. So I am looking forward to an improvement, but again, maybe the sound quality threshold was already met by A5CR pre. By Biamping, I am also looking for another step. We´ll see...
                                                                Hi Fi: Audio Research VT.100mkIII, Reference 3, DAC8; Sony SCDXA5400ES; MF A1008 integrated (backup); B&W 803D (also used in HT setup); IXOS cables XHS553 (644 SPC4mm2 high purity silver speaker cable); Chord Digital Signature coaxial, Chord Optical Optichord; VDH C5 The Bay; MIT AVt 1 analogue interconnects; QNAP TS209 NAS; J River MC21
                                                                HT:Sony STR-DA1200ES (Front Pre Out into Reference 3 HT input); Sony SAVE-835D speakers; Sony Blu ray BDP-5000ES; REL STRATA 5; QED Reference Digital audio

Comment

• Yasvanth
                                                                  • Jun 2006

Hello everbody,

I don't whether you hifi people with agree me or not but here goes. I have listened to numerous amplifier manufacturers eg Arcam, Cyrus, Rotel etc, and I think they are all underpowered and weedy sounding. Yes they do all have there own personalities speed, detail extraction and excitement but they all seem to lack that big enveloping sound that one amplifier manufacturer has stuck to.

That is Musical Fidelity, these guys have stuck to there guns and have always put power, musicality and build quality as there number one priorities.

Maybe there are other amps out there which can also match the MF amplifiers capablities but I have yet to hear them.

Please let me know what you think and why you like MF amps so much?

Happy listening

Yasvan
                                                                  Last edited by Yasvanth; 30 June 2007, 05:30 Saturday. Reason: missed out a few words

Comment

• jim777
                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                    • Mar 2005

That is Musical Fidelity, these guys have stuck to there guns and have always put power, musicality and build quality as there number one priorities.

Maybe there are other amps out there which can also match the MF amplifiers capablities but I have yet to hear them.
                                                                    Power and musicality? You should also audition a McIntosh, it will do you a favor

Happy listening!

Comment

• alebonau
                                                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                                                      • Oct 2005

Hello everbody,

I don't whether you hifi people with agree me or not but here goes. I have listened to numerous amplifier manufacturers eg Arcam, Cyrus, Rotel etc, and I think they are all underpowered and weedy sounding. Yes they do all have there own personalities speed, detail extraction and excitement but they all seem to lack that big enveloping sound that one amplifier manufacturer has stuck to.

Please let me know what you think and why you like MF amps so much?

Happy listening

Yasvan
                                                                      lot of the uk brands are lower powered but high quality amps yas. the likes of cyrus, linn, naim, arcam come to mind.

as far as musical fidelity, what I really like about their amps is they have a real enjoyable sound. whether with their delicacy or sheer clout and dynamics and then there is this nature of them to literally bathe you in their soundstage which tends to fill the room with sound.

It is extrmely well put together stuff too I reckon and has been for many years.

I might be a bit biased as I've owned musical fidelity gear for 15 years now but really do love the brand and their sound.

is there better more powerfull gear around, ofcourse there is always somethig better out there. And probably thats somethign thats different for everyone depending on what it is theyre looking for...but as a brand of gear its somethign I'd heartedly encourage others considering to do check out.

Comment

• Cambs12
                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                        • Jul 2006

I agree Al,i reckon for value for money,you can't get better for an overall package.Still curious bout those superchargers,can they be used as monobloc poweramps?? The connections seem to be there,but no moention of this capability so far..

Comment

• Audiophiliac
                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                          • Apr 2006

I am still waiting for someone to run a pair of SETs through the superchargers and see what happens.

Comment

• alebonau
                                                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                                                            • Oct 2005
                                                                            • 992

I agree Al,i reckon for value for money,you can't get better for an overall package.Still curious bout those superchargers,can they be used as monobloc poweramps?? The connections seem to be there,but no moention of this capability so far..
                                                                            curious here to cambs, they do mention they can take a line level input so can be used as mono blocs.

wonder why they just didnt produce some kw series mono blocs instead though.

Comment

• arrow
                                                                              Member
                                                                              • Mar 2005
                                                                              • 54

Hi I just wanted to say i have now joined the club i rencently got myself an A3.5 My father got one with his new system after using it for many months i decided i just had to try one and get one and a Set of LSA speakers so far i have the amp the speakers i am still working on. I hope to have it all set up soon but i realy like the A3.5 i find it has a wonderful sound balanced not harsh with a strong low end just the amp i have always been looking for

However my dads has a strange problem when his is hooked up to a sub when you change selections on the amp a loud pop is heard from the pre outs from the sub i was wondering what might be causing this issue

Comment

• alebonau
                                                                                Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                • Oct 2005
                                                                                • 992

Originally posted by arrow
                                                                                Hi I just wanted to say i have now joined the club i rencently got myself an A3.5 My father got one with his new system after using it for many months i decided i just had to try one and get one and a Set of LSA speakers so far i have the amp the speakers i am still working on. I hope to have it all set up soon but i realy like the A3.5 i find it has a wonderful sound balanced not harsh with a strong low end just the amp i have always been looking for

However my dads has a strange problem when his is hooked up to a sub when you change selections on the amp a loud pop is heard from the pre outs from the sub i was wondering what might be causing this issue
                                                                                welcome aboard arrow ! a sensational amp indeed the a3.5

not sure on the pops. could be the sub amp loosing signal maybe with the switchign between inputs and goign to sleep and awakening ?

Comment

• arrow
                                                                                  Member
                                                                                  • Mar 2005
                                                                                  • 54

I am hoping to get me a set of LSA LS1 bookshelf's to couple with this amp

Comment

• Yasvanth
                                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                                    • Jun 2006
                                                                                    • 403

MF A5cr PRE & A5cr PWR AMPS FOR SALE ON EBAY UK

HI

IF ANYONES INTERESTED SOMEBODY ON EBAY UK IS SELLING AN MF A5 PRE AND PWR AMPLIFIERS. SO NOW IS THE TIME TO GET HOLD OF A BARGAIN JUST TO HEAR HOW WONDERFUL SOUNDING THESE AMPS ARE. ONE OWNER FROM NEW.

Yas

Comment

• uncle_dito
                                                                                      Member
                                                                                      • Dec 2006
                                                                                      • 85

MF A1008 and A5 CR PWR/PRE

Originally posted by uncle_dito
                                                                                      Hi Yas,
                                                                                      According to specs and review, the preamp circuitry is the same as KW550, based on tubes. So I am looking forward to an improvement, but again, maybe the sound quality threshold was already met by A5CR pre. By Biamping, I am also looking for another step. We´ll see...
                                                                                      Well chaps,

Here are the summarized results of my listening trials of Musical Fidelity A1008, and compared to my current MF A5 CR PWR/PRE.
                                                                                      I used MF A5CD, and B&W804S speakers.

1. Overall comparison of MF A1008 vs MF A5 CR PWR/PRE
                                                                                      I have to say that the duration in my memory of a sound quality and property is not that great I guess, so when doing listening tests across the board (classical, pop, interpreters,...) on one system,
                                                                                      and then switching the B&W804S cables to connect the other system, I already had a vague reference to compare to. So although I found the A1008 in general silkier,
                                                                                      sweeter than the A5 combo, the difference was more on some subtle observations on mid/upper frequencies timbres, and also I felt the overall musicality a bit more mellow, fluid.
                                                                                      But again, if it had been day or night experience, I guess that I would have dramatically noticed the difference when swtching systems, but that did not happen.

2. BiAmping with A5CR
                                                                                      Another listening trials i tried were bi amping, using in one instance the A5CR PWR for the bass frequencies, and the A1008 for the upper frecuencies. In this case,
                                                                                      of course the bass was deeper, and you could feel more weight. But something was not right, I felt the edge of the silkier, sweeter sound was gone, as if heard further away.
                                                                                      The overall coherence, musicalilty and delicacy of the MF A1008 was gone, in favour of deeper bass and more weight. I could not get used to it.

I tried the other way, for A5CR to power the upper frecuencies, and A1008 the bass frequencies. The overall sound was a little better, but now sort of forward.
                                                                                      Still would not get quite used to it.

Investigating the specs, although A5CR is a 255 Watts amplifier (24dbW), it has more than double current delivery capacity than A1008
                                                                                      (see below Nº of output devices x2 in A5CR: 200 A vs 75A peak-to-peak), more channel separation, better signal/noise,
                                                                                      higher line input sensitivity. Actually, the amplifier specs of A1008 are the same as the A5 integrated amplifier for the output - I guess that if A5 Integrated admitted direct
                                                                                      input (via HT direct), probably it would work more balanced with A1008.

So I am thinking that biamping with A5 CR PWR just unbalances the mix and the overall musical coherence.

MFA1008 specs
                                                                                      Output: Voltage, RMS 45 Volts 20Hz to 20 kHz
                                                                                      Voltage, Peak-to-peak 127.3 Volts
                                                                                      Power 250 Watts per channel into 8 Ohms (24dBW)
                                                                                      400 Watts per channel into 4 Ohms
                                                                                      Current peak-to-peak 75 Amps
                                                                                      Damping factor 140
                                                                                      Output devices per channel 4
                                                                                      Pre-out impedance 50 Ohms

Line input: THD + N, 20Hz to 20 kHz <0.01% typical
                                                                                      Signal / noise ratio >100dB ‘A’-weighted
                                                                                      Input sensitivity for 250W 330mV
                                                                                      Input impedance 220 k Ohms
                                                                                      Overload margin 26dB
                                                                                      Channel separation >70dB typical
                                                                                      Frequency response 20Hz to 20 kHz, +0, -0.2dB

MF A5CR specs
                                                                                      Output :
                                                                                      Power : 255 Watts per channel into 8 Ohms (24dBW),
                                                                                      416 Watts per channel into 4 Ohms Voltage,
                                                                                      RMS : 45.2 Volts 20Hz to 20kHz Voltage, Peak
                                                                                      -to-peak : 118.8 Volts
                                                                                      Current peak-to-peak 200 Amps
                                                                                      Damping factor : 170
                                                                                      Output devices per channel : 8
                                                                                      Line inputs :
                                                                                      Total harmonic distortion + noise, < 0.01% 20Hz to 20kHz
                                                                                      Signal / noise ratio > 109dB ‘A’-weighted
                                                                                      Input sensitivity for 255 Watts into 8 Ohms 1.5V
                                                                                      Input impedance 100k Ohms
                                                                                      Channel separation > 90dB typical
                                                                                      Frequency response 10Hz to 100kHz, +0, -1.5 dB

3. Using A5 CR PWR, and comparing A5CR Pre with A1008 PreOut
                                                                                      Ok, here I connected the optical output of MF A5 CD to A1008 DAC input, and A5CD analogue outputs to the A5 CR Pre.
                                                                                      Then I connected the A5 CR Pre OUT to the "A" input in A5 CR PWR, and the A1008 Preout to the "B" input in the A5CR PWR.
                                                                                      I could easily compare the same reproduction on the MF A5CD and instantly switch between A and B in the Power.
                                                                                      You may wonder if the optical/analogue outputs in the A5CD could be considered similar for this test. Actually, before this test I connected the
                                                                                      MFA5 CD on the A1008 with both optical and analogue,
                                                                                      and switched between them on the same music track. I could not hear any difference, so I thought it would be OK.

Well, what do you think I got? Again I went through many diffferent CDs,
                                                                                      and did the instantaneous switching in the A5CR PWR (works wonderfully, switching signals instantaneously, without a break or any signs of change at all)
                                                                                      .
                                                                                      Frankly, except maybe in one record, I could not hear a relevant difference between both settings.
                                                                                      So the sound was practically identical.

Was it the same as the A1008 on its own?
                                                                                      I think not, and again I would refer to my preliminar impressions at the beginning of my review.
                                                                                      So I think that the separate power supply in the A1008 plus
                                                                                      the integration of the tube preamp with the two monoblocks is fine-tuned to provide a delicate, sweet sound
                                                                                      , which I guess is somehow
                                                                                      lost when outputting the PRE signal out and combining it to the A5CR.
                                                                                      I wish some chap from Musical Fidelity could confirm if the
                                                                                      A/B operation within A1008 is fine-tuned with its PRE section, and also if it is different than the A5 CR PWR operation
                                                                                      (although the A5 CR PWR has better specs from amplifier side). At least I could get some technical feedback to my listening experience.
                                                                                      But MF website does not have a support mail.

I have to say that I am very happy with A1008 ,
                                                                                      but dissappointed with my plan to integrate with A5CR for biamping :evil:

So I welcome your thoughts and comments, just in case I am doing something wrong.

Kind regards

Comment

• Yasvanth
                                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                                        • Jun 2006
                                                                                        • 403

Hi Uncle Dito,

Overall, after doing the test, do you think there is a difference in sound quality between the new A1008 and the A5cr Pre & A5cr Pwr amp. Also who do think is better?

Your opinions will be very grateful.

All the best
                                                                                        Yas
                                                                                        Last edited by Yasvanth; 16 July 2007, 05:57 Monday. Reason: missed a few words

Comment

• nektarios
                                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                                          • Mar 2006
                                                                                          • 106

Hi Uncle Dito!

I did something similar as you; below in quotes are fragments from previous posts of mine and my general impressions.

"I connected the premp of the X-150 to the A5CR and the sound even on the GR20s was not only leaner but totally unreal - as if somebody messed up the equiliser or something..."

X-150 and A5CR have their own characters. When I had the X-150 driving the tweeters and A5CR the rest of the drivers on the Monitor Audio GR20s, the character of X-150 could easily be heard in the highs but then it was not integrating well with the character of the A5CR on mids and lows. When I was connecting the other way around, the same phenomenon but reversed and I could tell X-150 was not powerful enough for the bass. Maybe a tweeter is easier to drive, not sure.

Some more post fragments of what I had found:

"Manufacturers usually have their CD + amp complement each other. For example X-Ray V3 goes for politenes with extended highs and lows while the X-150 provides the slam. When I home demoed the new X-series and connected X-Ray V3 with X-T100 the sound was totally pathetic and lethargic! The system sounded like retarded! When I connected the X-T100 with X-Ray V8, the familiar big MF sound re-appeared but with crystal clear highs and bass (the bass was too weird or strong for my taste - always when connected to the S6 speakers)."

"So a CD player may be lean but the amp provides the fat part and vice versa."

"Pre + amp share the same ideas as with CD + amp."

So in other words your findings agree with my impressions too (pre-amp + pow combinations).

By the way, thanks for sharing your experience with us. It's really interesting reading and getting some initial idea and feel for new components.

Nektarios.

Comment

• uncle_dito
                                                                                            Member
                                                                                            • Dec 2006
                                                                                            • 85

Hi Uncle Dito,

Overall, after doing the test, do you think there is a difference in sound quality between the new A1008 and the A5cr Pre & A5cr Pwr amp. Also who do think is better?

Your opinions will be very grateful.

All the best
                                                                                            Yas
                                                                                            Hi Yas,
                                                                                            Overall, I think A1008 has an edge on sound texture to my taste (a little bit silkier, smoother, sweeter). On the other hand, it is not radical improvement, rather subtle, so I would not recommend upgrading from A5 CR PWR+PRE. As normally I am not needing the full power of my system, within the volume range considered (up to around 11 o'clock in louder case) I did not miss any extra current/power that potentially A5 CR Power can deliver over A1008 (8 output devices in A5 CR vs 4 in A1008. ).
                                                                                            On the other hand, from a system view, now A1008 retails at nearly 3000 GBP, same as the original retail of A5 CR PWR+PRE, but A1008 has separate Power supply, Tube PreAMP, and more functionality (DACx2 inputs, USB input). So I guess MF decided to place A1008 below KW550 and eventually replace A5s.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                            Search Result for "|||"