Mixing Klipsch w/radiating speakers in HT?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kevin Allan
    • Mar 2005

Mixing Klipsch w/radiating speakers in HT?

Hi,

I've noticed several references to the subject of (not) mixing speakers of such different designs, such as Klipsch and B&W for example, in a HT set-up.
    I ask because I have a chance to get a pair of RF-7's at almost cost from local dealer (demo's), and would like to use them as my front mains. I love the '7s and would hate to miss this opportunity, but if it will throw out the soundstage (by mixing with my other speakers) I will pass on them. The cost to totally switch over to a 100% Klipsch HT set-up is at this time not finacially possible.

Any advice is appreciated!

Kevin
  • soundhound
    • Mar 2004

Speakers more probably more than anything else have a sonic signature. The 7's by themselves are anything but disapointing, but, you would also want to at least get the RC 7 at the same time, you would really notice a difference there if you allready have a timbre matched set-up. If you were going Klipsch for the long haul it would be a heck of a start. If nothing else buy them for the investment, if they are that reasonable.

Comment

• Chris D
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Dec 2000

I'll pretty much agree with soundhound. If you can get the center along with the mains, you're 80% where you need to be. I ALWAYS recommend that people create a matched speaker set for a HT, but it's not always possible. If you want to buy these with the intention of having a mixed setup for a while as temporary, and a full Klipsch Reference setup as the end goal, then I'd say go for it.
      CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
      - Pleasantville

Comment

• ekkoville
        • Aug 2004

Yes, agreed as well. I am a case study right now in the timber matching game. I have a ten year old Snell CC1 center channel which I really like, but I don't have Snell mains. I have switched NHT, JBL and old Advent speakers in and out of the fronts and nothing matches real well. This one of those buys that I think you will kick yourself if you don't do right the first time.

Comment

• soundhound
          • Mar 2004

Case in point , I began with Klipsch Synergy Series, S3's front and center. Bumped up to the Reference series, which I ran the Reference fronts with the Synergy center, and when I got the Reference Center to match I was amazed at the tonal (timbre matched) difference. I had no Idea it would make that big of a difference, but it did. It's one of those things where you may not notice until you actually change to the matched set up, but after being used to it you may well know the difference from there on out. So Kevin, did you get the 7's?

Comment

• ekkoville
            • Aug 2004

I may be wrong here, but the sensitivity on my speakers were different from the center and it became very difficult, and still is, to make up for tonal differences and dB differences. A lot more tweaking than I would like.

Comment

• soundhound
              • Mar 2004

Erik, it makes sense, my center and fronts have different sensitivities (changes dynamics) as well, my only saving grace is that I only listen to 2 channel, and tv/ movies. That was enough of a strugle to say ok, enough is enough, just stop tinkering, set back and enjoy....I can't imagine trying to introduce all the disc audio formats and get everything nailed down, yikes........

Comment

• DrJRapp
                Super Senior Member
                • Apr 2003

I upgraded from KGs with an academy center and KW wall speakers to Ref3s and kept the KWs as surrounds. Wasn't too too bad, but wasn't great. Then we moved to a new home and the wall speakers got left behind. Since I was house poor, by necessity I first used an old pair of JBL small bookshelves as surrounds. These actually were quite good since they had titanium dome tweeters and were about as bright as the RF/RC 3s.
                Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• Kevin Allan
                  • Mar 2005

Thanks for the help!

Thanks all for your input. I decided to pass on the Klipsch back in April and (of course) now I'm kicking myself. I was trying to decide at the time between the RF-7 and a pair of 804's. I liked them both but couldn't decide.

Anyway, I want the 804's and am in a spot that due to recent house purchase, :E , and the hidden costs, I am forced to sell a pair of commercial grade speakers before the 804's (wife syndrome). I also went with the 804's, besides the great sound, but maybe in the longview, a little less switch over than the horn driven RF-7's.

Again, thanks all!

Kevin

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  😂
                  🥰
                  😘
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😞
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"