New and need help on Home Theater setup:)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ClintonH
    • Aug 2008

Yep I'm using the RCA jacks, with the switch set to stereo running a channel for each sub. Here's the box design I used, I couldn't find any difference in output after the 119 lt size so that's where I stopped at. It's most likely the drivers themselves, need to buy some real subs is what I'm thinking.

Clinton

Comment

• ThomasW
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Per the owners manual the Denon has an output of 1.2V. That's plenty to drive the A500.

The Klipsch is essentially a higher tuned sub, so it's output will be different compared to what you built.

Is the new sub in the exact location as the Klipsch?

Do you have an SPL meter? If not it might be a good idea to get one. The $40 one from Radio Shack will get you started. The idea is to measure the output level at different frequencies...

This page and some of the other ones in the website will get you started...

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• ClintonH
        • Aug 2008

No I don't own a SPL meter, might pick one up on the weekend. The subs are up front under my screen where the Klipsch was, but they are front firing where the Klipsch was loading against a wall. I can't do the same for the new boxes because of the size. But I think I figured out some of the problem, the Denon for some reason was setting the sub out as -12db every time I switched media. With the sub set to 3db it moves quite a bit of air, not as much punch but it shakes the floor. :T The air movement keeps throwing out the loose dampening material from the box, I might take the material out as the design program plots out 3bd higher without dampening material. Also ran the same box through again with a highpass filter at 20hz and gain an additional 5db at the fb, might also pick up the eD EQ2 if it will increase the output that much. Again thanks for all the help guys.

Clinton

Comment

• ThomasW
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Use damping material, but use the correct amount. How much did you put in and where did you put it?

The walls of ported subs are lined with damping where as sealed boxes are stuffed.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• ClintonH
            • Aug 2008

I lined the boxes with 2" on all sides, just had some loose stuff. I'll open the box back up and take whatever loose stuff out that's floating around. Thanks. Oh will the processor work as well as the eD EQ2 you listed? http://www.axemusic.com/product.asp?...=113&PT_ID=252 I can pick it up local form the same place as the amp came from.

Clinton

Comment

• ThomasW
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

The CX2310 is a stereo crossover. The lowest frequency it can filter is 44Hz, so no it won't work as a subwoofer highpass filter

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• ClintonH
                • Aug 2008

This isn't what I need?
                Switchable 25 Hz subsonic filter on each input for low-frequency driver protection
                If not is there a Behringer product that I can use that is equal to the link you posted?

Clinton

Comment

• ThomasW
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

You don't want a 25Hz subsonic filter when the sub is tuned to 22Hz, doing that will remove everything coming out of the port.

The link I posted is the only low cost device I know offering this feature. Other options are DIY and involve scratch building active circuits.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• ---k---
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • Nov 2005

Some of it is going to be the design. By tuning the box so low below the driver's Fs (to protect the driver) you give up output. You can see the big downward slope in your model. If built a smaller box tuned to ~32hz, you would probably gain 4-6db of max output. But, you would probably also toast the driver quickly and not get the enjoyment of the low frequency house shacking rumble.
                    - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
                    CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
                    CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"