X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hired goon
    • Aug 2004

Connecting two pre's to one amp?

G'day,

As regular readers know, I originally had a Rotel RSP-1066. The multichannel output was okay, but I wasn't happy with the stereo output, so I traded it on for an RSP-1068. And tomorrow I'm all set to go to the Rotel dealer, to trade in my RMB-1075 amp for an RMB-1095 amp.

This seems like a beaut system -- a decent quality sound, and decent amplification.

But the following thought occurred to me today: For around the same price as a RSP-1068 + RMB-1095, I could have got two systems: RSP-1066 + RMB-1075 for multichannel, and RC-1090 + RB-1080 for two-channel.

This would handle handle multi-channel about the same as (or close enough to) the RSP-1068, but give higher quality two-channel sound. The RB-1080 can drive the fronts, and the RMB-1075 could drive the center and rears.

The only problem, of course, is how to connect the RSP-1066 and RC-1090 to the RB-1080.

Has anyone found a workable solution to this problem?

-- Geoff
  • soundhound
    • Mar 2004

For the sake of redundancy do an rc-1070 search and browse a tad, I have 2 pre's, 1 amp, and have accomplished just that. The only issue is Rotel Ir frequencies are the same so both front end units respond to remote commands. I have addressed this by disabling the Ir reciever in the RC-1070 and control it manually, so I have to get my *ss up out of the chair to set volume, no biggie, Bob

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
      Super Senior Member
      • Oct 2003

Hired Goon,

Net is you put the Left and Right pre-outs of the RSP-1066 into a free set of stereo inputs in your RC-1090 and find a volume level to calbrate at.

Here is a LINK to where is is all explained...

Geoff

Comment

• hired goon
        • Aug 2004

G'day,

Originally posted by Aussie Geoff

Net is you put the Left and Right pre-outs of the RSP-1066 into a free set of stereo inputs in your RC-1090 and find a volume level to calbrate at.
        I had thought about connecting the pre-out of the RSP-1066 to the DVD input (say) of the RC-1090, but I didn't know how introducing two gain controls into the system would affect sound quality (I suppose that issue would arise no matter what connections are made, actually).

Do you think this proposal -- replacing the RSP-1068 + RSP-1095 with two separate systems -- is a good or bad idea?

-- Geoff
        Last edited by hired goon; 22 October 2004, 08:04 Friday. Reason: Fixed a closing tag

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
          Super Senior Member
          • Oct 2003

Hired Goon,

Do you think this proposal -- replacing the RSP-1068 + RSP-1095 with two separate systems -- is a good or bad idea?
          Well it all depends or your priorities - the 1066 is not as good a HT processor as the 1068 - less features, sound formats, lower quality DACs, previous generation DSP... However you would get great stereo...

IMO the step up in quality from the RC-1070 to RC-1090 isn't great so how about this:
          >> RC-1070 (save some $)
          >> RB-1080
          >> RMB-1075
          >> RSP-1068 (using the $ you save!)

Now you're talking!!! ;b>

Geoff

Comment

• hired goon
            • Aug 2004

G'day,

Well it all depends or your priorities - the 1066 is not as good a HT processor as the 1068 - less features, sound formats, lower quality DACs, previous generation DSP.
            You may be correct. I didn't really pay much attention to the HT capabilities of the 1066 vs the 1068. I knew the 1068 was better, but I don't remember if it was *that* much better. I'll do an A/B test at the store tomorrow.

IMO the step up in quality from the RC-1070 to RC-1090 isn't great
            Interesting. The RC-1070 lists for AUD$749, while the RC-1090 lists for AUD$1899. It seems the extra $1150 gets you a tiny bit less THD (0.006% vs 0.004%), an LCD, no tone control, and balanced inputs.

I'll do *another* A/B test to see if the extra bells & whistles are worth it.

so how about this:
            >> RC-1070 (save some $)
            >> RB-1080
            >> RMB-1075
            >> RSP-1068 (using the $ you save!)

Now you're talking!!!
            Essentially, instead of trading the RMB-1075 for an RMB-1095, get an RB-1080 + RC-1070 (I think it will be about $300 more expensive this way).

I thought (from reading this forum, not from A/B tests) that there wasn't much difference between the 2-channel output of the RC-1070 and the RSP-1068.

I'll do *yet another* A/B test tomorrow, etc.

-- Geoff

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
              Super Senior Member
              • Oct 2003

Hiren Goon,

Cool..,

Let us know how you go...

I have only done one comparison with the RC-1090 and RC-1070 and found the improvement subtle at best...

PS - Your dealer should make that $300 price difference go away if you are buying all that Rotel!!!

Geoff

Comment

• hired goon
                • Aug 2004

G'day,

The local electronics store sells an audio switch, which has 2 x RCA inputs and 1 x RCA output, and allows you to switch between the inputs.

I suppose the front L/R pre-outs of the RSP-1068 and the RC-1070 could connect to this box, and the output would connect to the RB-1080. Flick the switch for CD, or for DVD. On the plus side, there's no mucking about with separate volume controls. On the negative side, there's a fiddly little box to locate somewhere in the stack, and I don't know whether it would degrade the sound in any way.

Let us know how you go...
                I'm putting off my decision for another week. The Rotel dealer doesn't have a an RB-1080 or RC-1070 in stock, so that means I can't do any A/B tests. I really need to confirm that the RC-1070 is an improvement over the 2-channel output of the RSP-1068.

-- Geoff

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Oct 2003

Hired Goon,

FYI a lot of those RCA switches can degrate the signal somewhat - undoing the benefits of quality cables etc... So make sure you are looking at one with gold plated connectors and very high quality mechanical switching inside...

Re the 1068 - remember that with the new Cirrus 400 processor it has Dolby IIx processing which gives 7.1 channel to die for... (the 1066 old has Dolby II and Rotels XS processing - good but not great in 7.1... Also you will find the rear channels so much more alive with the 1068 than the 1066 - well worth considering if you do much HT listenning in 7.1

Geoff

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"