X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wywong
    • Jan 2005

RSP1066 Vs RSP1068

Hi,
    I have an option of buying an RSP1066 or an RSP1068, the different in price is about $400. Can someone give me an opinion on whether it is worth the extra of $400 to get the RSP1068. I am currently using a Denon 3803 as a pre/processor and the RMB1075. Will this upgrade to the Rotel RSP1066 or RDP1068 make a big difference in sound. My speakers are Martin Logan Mosiac as fronts and Fresco as center. Thanks!!
  • David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Hi Wymond, welcome to The Guide. :welcome:

I've moved your post into our dedicated forum for Rotel'ers. They'll have much more specific info about this topic for you. Again, welcome and we hope you'll hang out with us.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• booktrunk
      • Aug 2004

Pro Logix IIx not sure if that makes much difference if you are using just 5 channel.

better Bass management

Better DACs in the 1068.

annoyance about 1068 is that the connectors on the back seem all squished up to fit so much onto it

I have had both the 1068 and the 1066. If you had a 1066 I'd say not to sure about the expense for upgrading to the 1068. But if you have neither it is better to go straight for the 1068.

Generally it's a bit more polished, a lot of the bugs they had in the 1066s they ironed out by the time the 1068s came out.

You will have a lot of fun with either one

Steff
      "Whether sad, angry, distressed, eager, or playful, elephants are this in a big way"

"The way in which our society deals with minorities is a guide to our civilisation."

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Given the choice I'd go for the newer 1068 if you can fit in it budget wise.

Comment

• weijst
          • Jun 2004

Originally posted by wywong
          ...I am currently using a Denon 3803 as a pre/processor and the RMB1075. Will this upgrade to the Rotel RSP1066 or RDP1068 make a big difference in sound...
          I'd say no, the main difference between the 3805 and the Rotel separates is the amplifier section, which you allready 'upgraded'.
          I went through a simular situation when first adding a 1075 to my Marantz SR5200 (also featured DPLII) and later replacing the Marantz with the 1068. Since the 3803 is a superior pre/pro than the SR5200, I expect the differences to be even smaller...

Good luck!
          Marantz SR7005, UD5007; B&W SCMS, Nautilus SCM1; Velodyne SPL-1200R

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Interesting Weijst since I found that when I upgraded from my Denon receiver to a Rotel pre amp the jump was huge even though both were acting as pre amps.

Comment

• Raphie
              • Nov 2004

Same here when upgraded from my Yamaha RX-V2400 to RSP-1068. I'd listened to the RSP-1066 as well, but the 1068 is a totally different machine (sonically as well)

Comment

• weijst
                • Jun 2004

That is indeed interesting Andrew

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't you upgrade to an RSP-1098, which is said to be a superior to the 1068?
                Marantz SR7005, UD5007; B&W SCMS, Nautilus SCM1; Velodyne SPL-1200R

Comment

• wywong
                  • Jan 2005

Thank you all for your inputs. I do not need the video conversion feature nor 7 channel. Just looking for some advise as to the performance difference bewteen RSP1066 and 1068, and also is it worth while to upgrade the preamp. I upgrade to RMB1075 with the Denon 3803 as pre and the sound different is great. I am leaning towards buying the RS1068 for now.

Comment

• hired goon
                    • Aug 2004

G'day,

Originally posted by wywong
                    I have an option of buying an RSP1066 or an RSP1068, the different in price is about $400. Can someone give me an opinion on whether it is worth the extra of $400 to get the RSP1068.
                    I don't mind the Denons for movies, but I do not like the Denon sound for music -- too bright, too thin, even through a separate power amp. So if you play music, go for the Rotel pre-amps.

I started with a 1066, but traded it within a week for the 1068, and do not regret it. The 1068 has much better 2-channel sound.

--Geoff

Comment

• Kyle
                      • Jan 2005

The video conversion feature is very nice, especially if you decide to move your gear away from your tv or projector. That way you only need one extremely expensive cable
                      My gear

Comment

• Azeke
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Mar 2003

The 1068 would be my vote, for the additional $400 Cdn, it is well worth it from a price/performance perspective.

Regards,

Azeke

Comment

• alkalay
                          • Jun 2004

hi wywong,

Go separates. I've done that route of having a 1075 power amp connected to a Marantz receiver and then added the 1068.

If you can afford it, just do it. it's worth every penny (yes I know it is NOT cheap to say the least).

Stereo music sounds awesome, of course movies too...

Itai.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Aug 2000

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't you upgrade to an RSP-1098, which is said to be a superior to the 1068?
                            I've gone down the following path on enlightenment...

Rotel RSP 976 pre amp + HK PA5800 5 channel amp
                            Sony DB930 + HK PA5800 5 channel amp
                            HK ??? receiver + HK PA5800 5 channel amp
                            Denon 2800 + HK PA5800 5 channel amp
                            Denon 3300 + HK PA5800 5 channel amp
                            Denon 3300 + HK PA5800 5 channel amp
                            Sony TA-E9000ES pre amp + HK PA5800 5 channel amp + Musical Fidelity Dr. thomas 2 channel amp.
                            Rotel 1066 + HK PA5800 5 channel amp
                            Rotel 1055 + HK PA5800 5 channel amp
                            Rotel 1098 + Rotel 1075 + Rotel 1080

Each step has been worthwhile with the exception of the 1066 to the 1055 as that was more an oppertunity vs upgrade to allow for the next big jump (1098)

Comment

• Kaveman
                              • Jan 2005

Nice set of toys Andrew!

I'm consuming lot of spec (!) to decide what to get next. My HK receiver just died on me last month.
                              I’ve been looking/listening to Primare, Marantz…and Rotel. I think I’m going to adopt a whole Rotel family into my house and let them take a lot of SPACE!!!
                              My question is:
                              1-Dose the 1098 sound lot better than 1068 or is it just more fire power, more in/outs and double transformation… etc
                              2-Same question goes for 1050 verses 1080?
                              3-Has any one tried SACD/DVD-audio via iLink between Pioneer 688 and 1068? Does it work?

Cheers

PS: RMB-1075 would do the main job in the system...or is 1095 a "better"
                              amp?
                              Last edited by Kaveman; 19 January 2005, 05:41 Wednesday.

Comment

• wywong
                                • Jan 2005

Thanks for everyone inputs. I just purchaes the RSP1068 last Saturday and I cant believe the big difference that the 1068 made. My whole system all the sudden came alive, no more sharp highs, solid bass and midrange is just wonderful. It seems that the RSP1068 and the RMB1075 are designed to work well together. This upgrade made my Martin Logan speaker and the Rel subwoofer sing. I have one last question since I am new to the 1068, the software version that came with the equipment is 1.1.3, should I upgrade to the latest which is 1.1.7 even if everything seems to work OK?

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Aug 2000

Kaveman the 1068 doesn't have an iLink input so you would have to use the analog cables to the Rotels multichannel input. The 1095 is a better amp then the 1075 IF you need that much power...not everone does...though if cost isn't an issue why not

wywong congra'ts on the new toys! As for the firmware it costs nothing to upgrade so yes I'd upgrade.

Comment

• RisingPhoenix
                                    • Apr 2004

And let me say (albeit a bit late no doubt) the jump from a good ie Denon and Yamaha (i've had both) to a rotel pre-pro is night and day, the 1066 to the 1068 is amazing, is has the separation of my old Yammy (as againt the 1066 which i felt lost some), yet with the amazing jump in performance from the 3805 i had as a pre-amp, 1068 is leaps and bound beyond the 1066 AND and receiver u may use as a pre/pro, please note, my opinions are my own, based on my system, and my interconnects, and most immporatantly above all.. MY EARS.. Listen for yourself if you can it will anser for you!

Steve

Comment

Working...
                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                    Search Result for "|||"