X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DrBoom
    • Dec 2003

1098 firmware v2.1.3

We've been seeing the v2.1.3 firmware installed on the latest batch of 1098's coming out of the factory, but until now there never was an official download link for this on the Rotel site.
    Now there is
    So all of you who were waiting for an option to turn off the TFT permanently, your prayers have been answered.
    Get it here.
  • Aussie Geoff
    Super Senior Member
    • Oct 2003

DrBoom,

Thanks for the tip...

Be aware that the newest RSP-1098 units have a different TFT screen in them (old model not made etc) which needed a different set of EEPROM code and matching software V3.1 - so if you have one of these units with 3.1 - don't apply 2.1.3.

That aside - I Beta tested 2.1.3 and liked it and a number of people have been using (and enjoying) an unofficial copy from released via an Email from Rotel and posted on this forum...

Two changes:

1) It now remembers the last sound mode for different digital source types (e.g. DTS, Dolby 2.0, Dolby 5.1 etc and applies it automatically the next time that digital source type is played - this is a boon in ease of use... This even applies across multiple inputs - e.g. two a DVD player and a Satellite Box with a digital connection - the system will now remember the same default for (say) DD 5.1 sound across them both... (Under 2.1.1 and 2.1.2 there was a clumsier / erratic version of this working just within the one input - but this new way is easier and more definite to use - pick the processing mode you like for (say) DD 5.1 and it remembers it for ever!)

2) It now allows the TFT screen to be turned off completely (as if the RSP-1098 was a RSP-1068 ) by setting the DISPAY to Monitor Only - it will go black and simply never come on!

There has been an unofficial copy of 2.1.3 floating round via the zipped file in this thread - I have done an file compare on the unofficial copy and the release copy and there are some big sections of the files with quite different binary contents (the unofficial copy looks like the beta version I tested) - so I suggest those with the unofficial copy may also wish to consider downloading the official copy!

Geoff

Comment

• DrBoom
      • Dec 2003

I just installed the new firmware, just out of curiousity.
      Well the function to turn off the TFT works, but I can't comment on the 6.1/7.1 thing since I don't have that.
      What I have noticed, and what I find totally unacceptable is that they still haven't fixed the well known display bug which overwrites the mode with the volume display. :M

Comment

• EAmin
        • Aug 2004

Just wonderin' how I can tell which version my 1098 is running?

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
          Super Senior Member
          • Oct 2003

EAmin,

Press and hold the MUTE button on the RSP-1098's front panel for about 5 seconds - the version and build will come up on the TFT display (if on)

Geoff

Comment

• EAmin
            • Aug 2004

Hey Geoff! I tried that, and it displayed v1.1.6-031024. I guess I'm running 1.1 and not 3.1. This is a brand new piece of equipment.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

EAmin its not a big deal which version you have. The difference in firmware stems from a change in TFT providers...its not that the old or new one are better they just had to make a change in suppliers which means the chips had to change which of course means new code. Rotel has always maintained that both versions will get the same updates. They had to do the same thing with the previous generation for similar reasons.

Comment

• Kevin D
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Oct 2002

Yes, but he is missing PLIIx by not being at 2.X... Plus all the other updates from 2.1 to 2.1.3. I don't believe they are continuing updates on the 1.X series of firmware..

The good news is your unit can be software upgraded to 2.X status through the update port easily. If it is truely a new unit and not a store demo, then I would kindly ask your delear to upgrade the eeprom to 2.X and install the 2.13 firmware. You could do it, but the 2.X upgrade is a little more involved than the standard firmware upgrade, and I think you would feel more comfortable letting the dealer do it.

Kevin D.

Comment

• EAmin
                  • Aug 2004

Thanks for the help on this. I would like to upgrade for these reasons.

Comment

• Bing Fung
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Aussie Geoff
                    DrBoom,

2) It now allows the TFT screen to be turned off completely (as if the RSP-1098 was a RSP-1068 ) by setting the DISPAY to Monitor Only - it will go black and simply never come on!

Geoff

What if I want it to come back on to make adjustments.... What then?

I have not tried the new FW just yet because I'm scared I'll have to turn off the pre/pro and then back on just to get a display again if I turn off the TFT. Is this still the case?

Seems there is no elegant solution. A person almost needs a separate VFD display just for things like volume level :P
                    Bing

Comment

• DrBoom
                      • Dec 2003

If you want to make adjustments, you have to (blindly) press the Display button on the 1098 TWICE, then rotate the function knob left or right and it will come back on because you've now set the OSD to Screen Only or Screen + Mon.
                      If you want to turn it off permanently again, press Display twice, and set it to Monitor Only.
                      Nothing to be scared of, it works fine.

Comment

• Bing Fung
                        Ultra Senior Member
                        • Aug 2000

Originally posted by DrBoom
                        If you want to make adjustments, you have to (blindly) press the Display button on the 1098 TWICE, then rotate the function knob left or right and it will come back on because you've now set the OSD to Screen Only or Screen + Mon.
                        If you want to turn it off permanently again, press Display twice, and set it to Monitor Only.
                        Nothing to be scared of, it works fine.
                        Thats the whole point, it doesn't seem like an elegant enough a solution, and I would rather have it work as it does now rather than the newest way.

I was hoping maybe the newest FW would fix my DPL II-X sound steering issues.
                        Bing

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"