On Rotel 1098 - Does volume cntrl adjustment turn TFT on each time?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chris Cargen
    • Dec 2003

On Rotel 1098 - Does volume cntrl adjustment turn TFT on each time?

I've read that the Rotel 1098 TFT come on every time the volume is raised up or down and/or that the display cannot be completely blacked out while in use. Believe it or not, I just left a dealer who had one on display, but not hooked up yet who was clueless and didn't know.

Was this fixed in the software update? If the TFT does come on every time the volume is tweaked a little bit, that would be so annoying!

Say it isn't true?

Thanks,

Chris
  • mazuly
    • Feb 2003

Hi,

The display can be turned off completely, but it will come on when volume is changed and it shut down after a few second. And yes, it does annoy me . But the units excellent sound will makeup for it

Thanks,
    Maziar

Comment

• DrBoom
      • Dec 2003

That would be like the ultimate software update, if they could get it to NOT turn on again with volume change.
      I don't care if it turns on when you change inputs or modes, but just excluding volume change would already be sweet. 8)
      Just like everyone i've this short wishlist for stuff i think could be implemented or corrected.
      -Subwoofer calibration level fix (still awaiting response from Rotel on this one)
      -TFT doesn't turn on with volume change
      -Default surround mode option: "Last", so the default surround mode is the one you last used for that input.
      -some other stuff i can't think of right now

Although it does have a few minor quircks in it, it's still one of the only affordable and high-quality pre/pro's on the market (especially the european market).

Comment

• Tomek
        • Oct 2003

I'm not sure if it's just my unit or if it was an intended software update by Rotel, but I noticed when I turn off the TFT display and don't perform any commands on the 1098 for an extended period of time (I guess at least 10 minutes), the TFT does not turn back on when changing volume after that time. It only turns on with operations other than volume/mute. Could any owners of 1098 (with the latest software) test that please?

Comment

• Azeke
          Super Senior Member
          • Mar 2003

Tomek,

I tested your theory, turned off the TFT screen, made a volume adjustment approximately an hour later and voila the screen turned on to reflect the volume change (ver.1.6 firmware). I was actually hoping your theory was true.

Oh well, maybe on the next firmware upgrade.

Regards,

Azeke

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

I know the TFT turning off is something Rotel knows we want implimented and they are working on it. Apparently its more complex then we would think it should be but I'm not sure why.

Comment

• Tomek
              • Oct 2003

Sorry to get your hopes up, guys.

I tested my unit further. As of this morning my 1098's TFT does not turn back on only sometimes after the "time out" period. I do know that the remote's signal gets there since the volume level changes/turns on or off.

I've been noticing this (now I suspect probably a software glitch) with my 1098 for a while after the upgrade. Last night when watching a DVD, the TFT was not comming back on while I was adjusting volume for sure. So, I though I should pose this question in this forum.

Yes, I hope Rotel incorporates the fully functional "TFT no-turn-on" feature in the next update soon.

Thanks guys. :cry:

Comment

• Scarp
                • Mar 2003

Originally posted by Andrew Pratt
                I know the TFT turning off is something Rotel knows we want implimented and they are working on it. Apparently its more complex then we would think it should be but I'm not sure why.
                Apparantly controller the TFT is more difficult than one thinks. This is also what Rotel replied to Aussie Geoff's suggestion list (which included this issue). To me it seems ridicilous that they would put a TFT screen in the 1098 and then have hardly any control over it. A big big design flaw if they cannot get it under control. The TFT is what me annoyed the most of the 1098 and in the end made me decide to exchange it with something else.

Comment

Working...
                😀
                😂
                🥰
                😘
                🤢
                😎
                😞
                😡
                👍
                👎
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"