X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ds22030
    • Sep 2004

Q for RSX 1055 or 1056 owners

Guys, quick Q:

If you hook up your CD player to your RSX in digital coax or optical and play a CD, does the RSX identify that it is a PCM signal right away (without delay) and play the song from the very beginning? Or is there a slight delay for the processor in the RSX to identify the signal and generate the sound so that the sound is provided from the speakers after about 1 second of the song has already played.....ie you miss about 1 second of the song...

I do not own an RSX but am having this issue with my HK 230 and am thinking of switching to the RSX line and turning in my 1075 in the process.
  • srb
    • Oct 2004

I have the RSX-1056 and a Yamaha DVD-510 player connected with digital coax. When I play a CD, I get the same 1+ second delay, and I also get it when switching tracks, even after the CD has been recognized.

I just figured it was probably the way my DVD player outputs a digital signal. I have not had the opportunity to try it with a different player.

So, 1055/1056 owners: is it our CD/DVD players, or is that just the way these receivers process a digital signal?

~Steve

Comment

• ds22030
      • Sep 2004

Yes, that is exactly what I am referring to....it is the processor of the AVR determining what signal is being sent....so the RSXs do this too...that sux...

Comment

• sbhand
        • Apr 2003

I have an RSX1055 and had this same problem with a Philips DVD changer. With CD's I lost at least a second or more of sound on initial playing of the first track, but not on subsequent tracks or if I skipped back and forth. It was even worse with DVD's (or least it seemed worse probably because of the picture starting with no sound), where I would lose a second or more of audio, skipping through chapters, menu, or layer changes. In these cases the 1055 was relocking on the signal which was apparent by the signal type scrolling across the LCD.

I considered this the achilles heel of the RSX series, however I recently was able to borrow Onkyo's latest DVD changer model from a relative, and the delay was significantly reduce. The loss of signal lock on DVD's was completely eliminated, and on initial loading of a disk or CD there was less then a second loss of sound. With that knowledge in hand I couldn't deal with the Philips anymore (it had other problems also) so I replaced my player last week with a Denon 2910. The delays is even more reduced compared to the Onkyo; DVD layer changes are seamless. If you listen closely upon initial loading and playback of the first track of a CD you can detect a very very minimal delay. So in my experience it seems that the delay is cause by the receiver but it can be reduced to non-issue (in my opinion) depending on your choice of player.

Comment

• ds22030
          • Sep 2004

Thanks for your insight sbhand! So it seems the source contributes to the delay....great...more variables in the mix.

Can you tell me which Philips you had? I just ask because I was considering getting Phillips DVD795SA once I straighten all this out....

Comment

• sbhand
            • Apr 2003

It was the DVD795SA. On paper the specs are great, but if your bothered by your current player/receiver delay the philips maybe a lot worse. I also found it was very sluggish to remote commands (even with fresh batteries) and the picture soft. I wasn't very taken with the CD upsampling capabilities either compared to processing the signal through the 1055.

Comment

• ds22030
              • Sep 2004

Thanks so much....you just saved me some frustration!

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"