X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lifeinabox
    • Jun 2004

What's a fair price for an RSX-1055?

Hi, new here but a long time Rotel fan. I've decided to finally replace my RSX-965 with a 1055. I have no need for the added features of the 1056 and it is beyond my budget.

What's a fair price for a new and used 1055? My dealer has an open box unit with full warranty. Haven't had the time to visit yet and he won't quote me a price over the phone. I'm not against buying used on audiogon either, but have no idea what a fair price is ($850?). Also, I live in LA and I'm sure there is bound to be a dealer or two with new units sitting around (hence the request for new pricing as well). TIA.
  • bresna
    • May 2004

Used in a private sale should be between $725-800. A black one I was looking at just went for $710 on eBay. Used dealer units seem to run $800-950. New old stock units are going anywhere from $950-1100, depending on how much the store was asking when it was the current model. If the store was asking list before, $1100 is about 17% off.

BTW, I just bought a used unit from someone on AudiogoN for $800. It's been great so far.

Later,
    Kevin

Comment

• soundhound
      • Mar 2004

Heya Kevin, I purchased the 1055 on ebay for 710. Could'nt believe thats all it went for. I replaced an RSP-980, RDA-980, and 985 with it.

Comment

• lifeinabox
        • Jun 2004

Originally posted by bresna
        Used in a private sale should be between $725-800. A black one I was looking at just went for $710 on eBay. Used dealer units seem to run $800-950. New old stock units are going anywhere from $950-1100, depending on how much the store was asking when it was the current model. If the store was asking list before, $1100 is about 17% off.

BTW, I just bought a used unit from someone on AudiogoN for $800. It's been great so far.

Later,
        Kevin
        Thanks for the reply. $1100 sounds way too high to me for a discontinued model. I was tempted to buy the one you purchase on the 'gon, but shipping to me across country would have killed the deal. Plus, the warranty is not transferable.

A guy near me is willing to sell his for $850. If my dealer can come within even $100 of that, it would be worth it for the warranty alone.

Any other data points?

Comment

• bresna
          • May 2004

Originally posted by soundhound
          Heya Kevin, I purchased the 1055 on ebay for 710. Could'nt believe thats all it went for. I replaced an RSP-980, RDA-980, and 985 with it.
          Funny thing is, I really wanted that unit because it was black (and I would still consider trading my silver one for a black one just to passify the wife ). Funny story: that unit went on eBay twice. The first time, a buyer ended it with "Buy it now". I saw that the winner was from Germany and that the auction said "US only". I contacted the seller and offered $800 for the unit. He/she blew me off, re-listed it and then sent me an e-mail basically saying "good luck with my auction". Needless to say, I was very glad to see it go for $710.

BTW, the one I bought on AudiogoN was local so I was able to go pick it up. Nicest guy sold it too. He was auditioning some new gear when I got there and we played some of my SACDs. While we were doing this, he upgraded the firmware to the latest (he had the upgrade cable).

Kevin

Comment

• soundhound
            • Mar 2004

I have dealt with a few people on ebay and this gentleman was certainly not the warmest, it was positive, just kind of hit and miss on the warm and fuzzy scale. Butt, now I am left with the dilema of getting rid of my 1075, and using the 5 internal amps to provide all but the mains. I know I need more than 2x75 for music but am curious if the internals are plenty for the other channels in HT modes. The processing in this thing is dominate over my old discrete processing, but I am unsure wich way to go with the amps. I am using Klipsch RF series speaks all around, any one else overcome this wich way do I go hurdle? Thanks

Comment

• Azeke
              Super Senior Member
              • Mar 2003

Soundhound,

I have heard that Klipsch are pretty efficient speakers, based on that thought, I would drive the rears with the 1055, and purchase a two channel amp, of course I am partial to the RB-1080 (200W/channel@8ohms) :T . This also is dependent of your budget and needs.

Regards,

Azeke

Comment

• bresna
                • May 2004

Originally posted by soundhound
                I have dealt with a few people on ebay and this gentleman was certainly not the warmest, it was positive, just kind of hit and miss on the warm and fuzzy scale. Butt, now I am left with the dilema of getting rid of my 1075, and using the 5 internal amps to provide all but the mains. I know I need more than 2x75 for music but am curious if the internals are plenty for the other channels in HT modes. The processing in this thing is dominate over my old discrete processing, but I am unsure wich way to go with the amps. I am using Klipsch RF series speaks all around, any one else overcome this wich way do I go hurdle? Thanks
                I was cranking the RSX-1055 through my current front speakers, Cambridge Soundworks Tower IIs, and I have to say, I could have easily done some damage to my hearing if I wasn't careful. I did not hear any distortion at all either. You could try the thing as is and see if it passes muster before spending the extra $$ for a front channel amp. Rotel's wattage is supposed to be extremely conservative and their 5 channel rating is with all channels driven. I bet if I really cranked this up, I would get well over 100 clean watts... but then I would be saying "Huh?" a lot.

Kevin

Comment

• soundhound
                  • Mar 2004

My wife was gone last nite so I was able to do mix and match testing till my hearts desire. With my set-up I was amazed at the difference the RMB-1075 made versus the RSX-1055 in 2 channel mode, analog input selected. The recievers internal amps have nowheres near the dynamics of the 1075. The soundfield shrinks considerably, bass appears to be much less controlled, it was like running my old Carver TFM-X series amps again. This makes me apprehensive to sell the 1075, get a 2 channel for fronts, for fear of the same happening with the cenetr, and surround channels. When in 2 channel with the 1075 I had to get up and go listen closely to the surrounds as it sounded like they were on (they werent), when running internal amps with same settings I knew exactly where the sound was coming from. Both tests had the reciever set at 50, 55 db. I cant help but believe I would miss out on this experience in surround modes as well if I just externally amplify the "fronts" for music and let the reciever do the rest. Sorry for the rambling, These Rotel goodies just put me at a place I had never exprienced before with a/v gear. I see you decide on the 1055 kevin, cool

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"