X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KEN KAZ
    • Oct 2004

Denon Reciever As A Preamp?

i am going ot purchase a 1080 and a 1095 to power a 7 chanel system.

I need to pick a preamp and I was considering the 1068 or a Denon 3805.

I would use the Denon receiver as a preamp, and possibly use the amps in the denon to power some speakers else where in the house.

I am considering this route for two main reasons 1) the additional surround capabiliites (jazz club, etc) and the denon link for the digital audio....espically dvd audio and sacds. The remote is extremely cool, too.

The pre amp section of this reciever is supposed to be very quiet, there are issues with size of the internal amps, but that is why I am going Rotel seperates for the amps.

Any opinions?

thanks

Kaz
  • jlee
    • Aug 2004

1. The additional surr. cap. will get old really quick.
    2. The denon link will save you having to get 6 more interconnects, so that is a decent reason.
    3. I would still get the Rotel 1067 any day over any other receiver.

Comment

• shadow
      • Dec 2003

I do not know if the previous poster was referring to the 1067 receiver or the 1068 pre/pro, but your plan is good. However, I would try to get home auditions of both the Denon and the 1068 before I purchased since it is quite possible that the 1068 might handily outperform the Denon.

Comment

• audiofan
        • May 2004

I have denon 3805 + Rotel RB-1080. The combo works great. However, i'm saving to move up to pre-pro soon... There are more surround modes in 3805, but believe it or not, i try them first few weeks...then that's it. I mostly use Direct Mode in 3805 and DD for movies.

Comment

• jlee
          • Aug 2004

>I have denon 3805 + Rotel RB-1080. The combo works great. However, i'm saving to move up to pre-pro soon... There are more surround modes in 3805, but believe it or not, i try them first few weeks...then that's it. I mostly use Direct Mode in 3805 and DD for movies.

Ken Kaz, what did I tell you about the surround modes getting old quick? Don't take my word for it, take Audiofan's

Shadow, I was referring to the 1067 receiver... if I HAD to buy a receiver, that's what I would get... personally, I would get the 1068 or 1098 if I were Ken Kaz... I have the 1098 myself and it's great. I used to have an RSP-1066.

Comment

• KEN KAZ
            • Oct 2004

why are you going to trade in the 3805?

Comment

• KEN KAZ
              • Oct 2004

so when you lisen to 2 channel music, do you have the other 5 speakers turned off? I love the ambiance of all 7 channels going.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

Ken the Rotels's have 5 and 7 channel modes just like the Denon...plus with PLIIx - Music and DTS:NEO Music you have other multi channel surround modes to try as well. I don't actually know anyone that listens to DSP modes like Club, Hall or Disco etc...esp when there's much more natural sounding modes available to us now.

Comment

• KEN KAZ
                  • Oct 2004

Huh?

i completely understand why seperates are better than recievers.....and it mostly is in the power amp stages..... but what would make a rotel pre better than using a very good denon reciever as a preamp? i know there is no contest in the power amp stage, but i am not using that.

kaz

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

Ken its just the sum of the parts that in the end make the rotels sound cleaner then the denon's do. Denon's aren't bad products and many people seem very happy with them...but there's a very large number of people that have compared the Rotel to the Denon ended up buying the Rotel. I know I've owned several Denon's and I was happy with them...until I heard the Rotel

Comment

• BlazeMaster
                      • May 2004

I have a Denon 2805 and soon going to add a 1075 to power the first 5 channels as well. To be honest with you, before I got the 2805 I thought I was going to be using all the DSP modes every once in a while when I watch music DVDs just to get a more realistic feel of the environment. I probably only used the other DSPs once since the 2 months that I had it, and I think I'll probably never use it again after that. Denon does have DPLIIx, DTS neo6 also. If I had to do it all over again, I'd save up more for a 1056 or 1067 receiver to start out with and then eventually upgrade to a 1068 preamp. But since you already have the amps just forget the receivers and go preamp altogether. The price of the 1068 preamp isn't that much more than the 1056 receiver.

Comment

• KEN KAZ
                        • Oct 2004

OK, you sold me.

i see you purchased rotel's high end processor. While i do think the display is super cool, it it worth the additional $1500 bucks? is there anything else that it offers over the 1068?

thanks

kaz

Comment

• jlee
                          • Aug 2004

II have the 1098 and I never use the display except for changing settings... I guess in a way it's nice because I can change settings while looking at the display instead of the TV... not that I change settings very often... but for the $1300, I think the improvement in sound is worthwhile. It is also a little less cluttered and better layed out from a cable perspective in the back, which is nice. To me, it's worth $1000 more from a sound perspective, and the other $300 for the misc ergonomic stuff.

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"