X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • oliverlim
    • Jun 2004

Comparision between Rotel 1068 & Denon recievers 3806 & 4306

Hi,

I just heard the Denon 4306 Reciever at a showroom and was surprised by the improvements the MultiEQxt brings to the SQ. It was just more coherent with amazing mids and for HT, the seamless pans and improvement in dialog and seperation in sound was fantastic. I could not convince the dealer to allow me to do a home loan and so was hoping for someone who manage to do a direct comparision in the same room with same equipments so that I could determine if the 3806/4306 was a improvement over my current 1068. I intend to use the amps in the recieve only to reduce rack space to drive my surrounds and my pending tactile shakers... My current system is as follows and any reviews or view is much appreciated.

1. Rotel 1068 prepro
    2. Odyssey Stratos HT3 Extreme Channel amp
    3. Marantz 2 channel 100watt for surround
    4. Denon 2900 DVD upgraded with Tordial transformer and LX clock
    5. Velodyne SMS-1 bass management system
    6. SVS PC Ultra sub
    7. Meadowlark Krestel 2 Fronts and Center speakers
    8. Mirage OM-R2 surrounds.

Thanks guys!
    Oliver
  • Dmantis
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jun 2004

There differnt.
    Rotel is more open and true to the music while Denon tends to not be as Dynamic and not as clear.
    I believe your getting caught up in all the lastest features of the Denon series. They can be that way and have for many years.
    Honestly it's up to you if you think it's a better choice. As long as your speakers don't tax the internal amps, you dig the sound quality, Denon does blow away Rotel for features, then get one.
    I'm not a Denon fan but for the money there very nice.

Dan

Comment

• kurtholz
      • Feb 2005

well, in my opinion, and i have had both Denon and Rotel, i think the Denon wins hands down, if you stay in the upper ranges of there product line,

my two cents

good luck

Kurt

Comment

• deke
        • Dec 2005

I'm sure you'd find a lot of takers for the Rotel. In fact if you do decide to sell, let me know.

Comment

• shadow
          • Dec 2003

The new Audessey room EQ is a big advantage for the Denon over any Rotel. Room problems still dwarf any differences in electronics, cables and other components must audiophiles obsess over and spend huge amounts of money for. I would give the Denon a try if your dealer offers a return period in the event you do not like it. Frankly, I am not impressed that he will not allow a home audition. For that kind of money he should give you a home audition since that would likely sell you when you hear how much better your speakers sound after EQ is engaged. I would try other Denon dealers if any are available.

Comment

• FernandoF
            • Nov 2005

Hi Oliver,

I've auditioned side-by-side the Denon 3806 and the Rotel RSX-1056 (receiver, not separates), both in pure direct mode (i.e. no room EQ), with Dynaudio speakers. To MY ears, there is no comparison, the Rotel is much fuller, balanced, and relaxed. The Denon sounds thin and bright next to it.

But of course you may hear them differently, so ultimately it has to be YOUR choice.

Good luck !

Comment

• Elvis
              • Jan 2005

I have owned the 3805,1056,and the 1068,I now own none of the above so I can tell you I'm not bias.The Denon 38xx cannot even compete with the sound of the 1056,or the 1068 by a long way.For features the Denons win hands down over most,for sound they are down the list to my ears.For the average bear the Denons are all they could want,for improved musicality the Rotels are a step up,all imo.

Comment

• tomm
                • Oct 2005

i have owned both the rotel and denon gear, including the 3805. denon is pure crap as far as 2 channel is concerned but for ht there's not alot in it. as for buying a model up from the 3806, it's beyond me why anyone would want to when you're well and truly in the realm of seperates.

Comment

• mattburk
                  • Feb 2003

What HIFI did a review on the 3806 last month-they were let down. They should have a review of the 4806 in the next issue.
                  I have yet to hear a denon that can beat a marantz yet alone a rotel for two channel/mcm
                  www.mycstone.com
                  www.coverednow.com
                  www.biarenton.com

Comment

• aud19
                    Twin Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2003

Yup if movies are your primary material the Denon/Rotel will sound fairly even and the Denon wins out with features. For music though, don't even bother with the Denon.

Frankly I'd MUCH rather have 95% of the movie capabilities of the Denon with Rotel than 50% of the Rotel's musical capabilities with the Denon, features or otherwise.
                    Jason

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"