X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NHT
    • Mar 2004

1098 Surround mode question

Hello again. What is everyone using for surround mode when watching a movie and what are the differences if any in sound? (Dolby D+ xs, Dolby D+ plII, etc.) Also, does anyone know the life of the tft screen on the unit and is ok to leave it on with a different source all the time like a cable feed? Thanks again.
  • Sithlord
    • Aug 2004

NHT only you are going to answer that question as people will have totally different systems than you. When I had the 1098 (which wasn't that long ago) I used for DD and DTS prologic 11x when running 7.1 as it provided in my case a more expansive sound field in the back channels. You should test this with familar dvd soundtracks. My testing was with LOTR- Return of the King at the end battle. Keep swictching from XS to PL2x and listen to the differences in the soundfield and see what you prefer. Thats the best way as there isn't a right way for everyone. Enjoy your testing. :T

PS. Don't have an anwser for you regarding the screen. I highly doubt it would have a short life span if left on, wouldn't go down too well with 1098 owners. :E
    Last edited by Sithlord; 09 October 2004, 08:47 Saturday.

Comment

• Azeke
      Super Senior Member
      • Mar 2003

I agree, it is a matter of personal taste. That's the fun of it, experimenting to see which you enjoy most.

I enjoy DoProIIx in 7.1 as my primary listening pleasure. I' ve heard some say that it really doesn't matter if you are only running 5.1, but have not personally tested that theory.

As for the TFT screen, I leave mine on when I play my 1098, because I own a front projector and don't always want it on. Secondly, I can tweak my settings without disturbing the main picture. I figure the TFT screen won't burn out before my life with the 1098, (you can kind of compare it to a computer screen).

Regards,

Azeke

Comment

• NHT
        • Mar 2004

I just dont really understand those sound fields because the manual does not fully explain it. So are DD+ Xs and DD+proII "enhancements" to the standard Dolby Digital when watching dvds to give it better sound or are they beneficial only if running higher than a 5.1 system? If Im running only a 5.1, should I just leave it at Dolby Digital or Dolby DIgital ex? Also, what is DD downmix? Sorry for the many questions and thanks for your help.

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
          Super Senior Member
          • Oct 2003

NHT,

So are DD+ Xs and DD+proII "enhancements" to the standard Dolby Digital when watching dvds to give it better sound or are they beneficial only if running higher than a 5.1 system? If Im running only a 5.1, should I just leave it at Dolby Digital or Dolby DIgital ex? Also, what is DD downmix?
          DD XS creates a matrixed centre rear channel in 6.1 and 7.1 systems and shoud do nothing for a 5.1 system (I am surprised if it shows on the SUR+ selections). However the matrixed sound is left in the left and right rear channels so it is not as cood as:

DD EX which creates a marixed sound and removes that cenre channel sound from the left and right rear channels. Again DD EX should not show as an option on 5.1 systems. On 7.1 system DD EX duplicates identical centre sounds into the two rear channels.

Dolby ProLogic IIx works on 5.1 sources (like DD, DTS, DD EX) and matrixes separate different rear channels in a 7.1 system and identical channels in a 6.1 system. It uses something called "dynamic steering" to more clearly separae out the rear sounds positionally between speakers. I find this (abnd Dolby Labs recommend it) as being the best of the modes (better than EX and XS ets). You will get a marginal improvement n 5.1, something in worthwhile in 6.1 and something very special in 7.1.

Dolby Down Mix refers to the process of mixing down a 5.1 sound into a 2 channel source. Dolby does his using Pro-Logic II processing so that the sound field is (nearly) fuly reversable back to the original 5.1 sound by a Pro-Logic IIx pocessor...

Geoff

Comment

• NHT
            • Mar 2004

Thanks Aussie. That was tremendous help.

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
              Super Senior Member
              • Oct 2003

NHT,

Not a problem.

By the way I forgot to mention that the other "trick" that IIx has up its sleeve is to take any 2 channel source and convert it to 5.1, 6.1 or 7.1. There are two modes, Cinema and Music.

IIx: Cinema Mode is backward compatable with the older Dolb Pro Logic but will give a much more realistic effect (discrete full range rear channels etc). THis is intended for TV, Cable, Satellite etc.

IIx: Music Mode is designed to give a suround sound music effect. Now many people try this and don't like it - but I suspect this may be to do with the default settings for IIx Music Mode in many processors like the RSP-1098... Use the SETUP menu to try the following settings and you may be surprised:
              >> Centre 3 or 4 (depending on taste)
              >> Dimension 3
              >> Panorama On
              Puts a smile on my face, especially with a digital connection. I now use this more than stereo (it makes casual listenning fun)!

Try THIS THREAD and its links to DOBLY LABS and SECRETS for even more info!

Geoff

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"