X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Henk
    • Jun 2003

RSP 1098 and progressive scan dvd/dvd audio players

The RSP 1098 TFT screen displays no video unless a usable signal is passed through the composite video connection. However, as pointed out in the RSP 1098 manual not all dvd players, set in progressive mode, output a usable composite video signal. This is true also for dvd players that play dvd audio. In the case of a dvd audio player, where the composite video signal is absent in progressive dvd mode, it means that after watching a dvd in progressive mode one has to change the player's setting to interlaced mode each time to view dvd audio menus on the RSP 1098's TFT screen. This can be a bit of a nuisance, depending on how easy it is to change the setting.

Accordingly, when shopping for a progressive dvd/dvd audio player to match the RSP 1098 one of the issues to consider is the dvd player's composite video output in progressive mode.

Question: which progressive scan dvd/dvd audio players do output a usable signal on the composite output? The Rotel RDV 1060 does not, but its remote has a button which makes it easy to de-activate the progressive function. However, not all dvd players share this feature.

I'm not entirely happy with my RDV 1060 and consider replacing it with something else. I am particularly interested in the Denon 2900 or 5900.

Any comments will be appreciated.
  • skipm
    • Jun 2003

So far I've only had one DVD player connected to my 1098, a Samsung DVD-HD1000 and it passes all video thru the composite output when in progressive scan mode.

Since you are interested in a Denon DVD player, Andrew might be able to assist since he has a Denon 1600 hooked up to his 1098 and I would think that the 2900 and 5900 would behave in the same fashion.

-Skip

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

I'm pretty sure my Denon 1600 can't pass a composite signal when its set to progressive but to watch a DVD on the TFT screen you simply have to set the display setting for that input to progressive and it seems to work fine.

Comment

• Henk
        • Jun 2003

[to watch a DVD on the TFT screen you simply have to set the display setting for that input to progressive and it seems to work fine.]

Setting the display to progressive for the DVD player's input does not solve the problem. I tried all the settings, even after having installed the latest firmware. The TFT screen only accepts a composite input and if the DVD player does not send a video signal through the composite output when in progressive mode, the TFT screen cannot display any video.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Oops I just tested it again and you're right my 1600 won't display on the TFT screen either if i hit the progressive button on the front...sorry for the confusion ops:

Comment

• Kees
            • Sep 2003

My Denon 2900 (DVD / DVD-Audio / SACD) produces terrific Composite video also when the Component Progressive Scan outputs are at work.

I connected the 2900 to my Rotel RSP 1098 as follows:
            - Component video cables (running progressive scan video)
            - Composite video cable (to give an image on the Rotel TFT screen)
            - Digital Audio cable (for DD, DTS, etc.)
            - 6 Analog Audio cables (for SACD and DVD-Audio output)

Comment

• Henk
              • Jun 2003

Thanks Kees, you settled my question. No reason why the Denon 5900 will behave differently to the 2900.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

oh great yet another reason to want to upgrade to the 2900...you guys are killing my wallet :roll:

Comment

• aud19
                  Twin Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2003

Yeah that's not fair.... and I only bought my 1600 a few months ago! :cry: Someone wanna get the 2900 for me? The girlfriend's informed me that if I buy any more A/V gear in the near future she's going to string me up by... well.. use your imaginations 8O

J.R.

Need a new display? Questions about new display technologies? Visit RPTVs, plasmas, and other monitors @ HTguide
                  Jason

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"