X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ajpoe
    • Jul 2004

12v trigger

I have a 1075 and an Onkyo receiver. I was using a 12v AC/DC adaptor in the switched outlets of the receiver to activate the 12v trigger in the 1075. For some odd reason the power cable failed (it was just a cheapy). I went and got a couple new universal AC/DC adaptors at Parts Express but when I got home, I realized they only output 7.5v at the highest setting and rated at 200mA max output. I decided to try them anyway and they do activate the amp. Am in danger of causing any damage to my amp using the incorrect voltage?

ajpoe
    AJPoe - - Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional!
  • DrBoom
    • Dec 2003

I believe the 12V triggers accept voltages starting from 5V up to 20V or something, it doesn't have to be 12V exactly.
    And because you're using a lower voltage, you can be sure it will never damage the 1075.
    The trigger only draws 3 mA or something, if it's that much already, so the power supply is more than enough.

Comment

• ajpoe
      • Jul 2004

Ok, great... thanks!

ajpoe

Comment

• DrBoom
        • Dec 2003

Just to be on the safe side I looked it up, it's even stated in the manual for the RMB1075.
        This input accepts any control
        signal (AC or DC) ranging from 3 volts
        to 30 volts.
        So the range is even greater that I thought.

Comment

• kiki
          • Sep 2004

Is the 12v trigger on the 1068 for the 1075? how to use them? What kind of wire do i need to coonect

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

The triggers are on the 1068 and are marked as 12 volt triggers. You'll want to use the regular ones not the zone two one and simply run a 1/8 mono cable to the 1075's trigger input. After that the only thing you'll need to do is flip the amp trigger on the back of the 1075 to activate it.

Comment

• ds22030
              • Sep 2004

ajpoe,
              can you put a link to this trigger device you can plug into your receiver? I have an HK and would love to use such a device to trigger the Rotel....the HK does not have a trigger....

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

If your receiver has a switched outlet you can use a wall adapter to do what you need. The best ones' to use are those that have an adjustable voltage selector on them so that you can adjust them to suit. Just clip the end of the plug and wire in a mono 1/8" adaptor and you should be good to go. I used to do this with a Denon receiver years ago.

Comment

• ds22030
                  • Sep 2004

Andrew,
                  Yeah, I just checked and my HK does have a switched outlet. What is a "wall adapter"? I think you are telling me to splice the 1/8 adapter with the wall adapter but not sure what that is.....are you talking about a "universal DC converter" with those switches that can be selected between 1.5 to 12 volts? If so, is the tip positive or negative?

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

Yes that's exactly what I'm talking about. The tips are hot as far as I recall.

Comment

• ds22030
                      • Sep 2004

Thanks....talking about tips...this board is full of them!!!

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Aug 2000

Thanks....talking about tips...this board is full of them!!!
                        combined we've got eon's of experience

Comment

• ajpoe
                          • Jul 2004

Originally posted by ds22030
                          ajpoe,
                          can you put a link to this trigger device you can plug into your receiver? I have an HK and would love to use such a device to trigger the Rotel....the HK does not have a trigger....

This is the one i got. I live about 5 minutes from Parts Express so I don't know what the shipping would be... I don't think you'll find it cheaper anywhere else though.

ajpoe

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Aug 2000

I live about 5 minutes from Parts Express
                            Yikes that would seriously hurt my bank account if I were that close

Comment

• ds22030
                              • Sep 2004

Thanks.....I will check it out!

Comment

• ajpoe
                                • Jul 2004

The guys at Parts Express joke about how many relationships that place has strained, not to mention the pocket book. I try to stay out unless I really need something, but I'm single right now so I can still do what I want :T

AJ

Comment

• myki
                                  • Oct 2004

3 volts to 30 volts? Great!

So that means I can just use my old Nokia phone charger since it outputs DC 5.3V, 500 mA. I'll just change the connector to a mono baby plug.

Comment

Working...
                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                  Search Result for "|||"