X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • whmacs
    • Oct 2003

12v Trigger Sanity Check

Hi all,
    I recently had a new home threatre installed which consists of my current Onkyo 787 receiver acting as a processor and new Rotel RMB-1075 and RB-1070 providing the amplification for a 7.1 setup (which sounds fantasic btw). The problem being that my Onkyo doesn't have a 12 volt trigger on it so I have to turn the Rotels on manually. What the Onkyo does have is a 240v switched power outlet on the back of it. So when the Onkyo is turned on, 240v is available from the outlet.
    My sanity question is could I use a 240v AC to 12v DC adapter with a 3.5mm plug on the end to plug into the 12v trigger on the RMB-1075 and connect it to the switched 240v outlet on the Onkyo so that when I turn on the Onkyo the adapter would convert 240v AC -> 12v DC and turn on the RMB-1075? I can then daisy-chain this 12v trigger from the RMB-1075 to the RB-1075. I've made the 3.5mm plug for the 12v trigger tip positive. It doesn't state the polarity of the plug in the Rotel documentation. Does this make sense? Electricity is not one of my strong points and I would hate to blow anything up.

cheers,
    Stephen

My Home Theatre
    My Home Theatre
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

That will work fine so long as you aren't sending to many amps to the 12 volt trigger.

Comment

• whmacs
      • Oct 2003

Originally posted by Andrew Pratt
      That will work fine so long as you aren't sending to many amps to the 12 volt trigger.
      Thanks Andrew, what do you define as two may? The 240v -> 12v DC convertor can put out a maximum of 500 milliamps.

cheers,
      Stephen

My Home Theatre
      My Home Theatre

Comment

• Kevin D
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Oct 2002

Shouldn't matter on amps, the 12v trigger will take only what it needs. Any standard (over here at least) 12V wall wart should do fine..

Kevin D.

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"