X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Legairre
    • Jan 2002

1066 allows EX mode on non EX DVDs?

My 1066 is running version 1.49. Certain movies like Armageddon that clearly aren't DD-EX allow me to put my 1066 into EX mode. I know the 1066 will automatically do XS mode whenever the back speakers are set to "yes", but EX on non EX encoded movies? Shouldn't the 1066 be looking for the EX flag on DVDs and only allow EX mode if the flag is present? What gives? I've been able to do this several non EX DVDs while several other non EX DVDs don't allow EX mode on my 1066. Just to confirm which movies are EX and which ones aren't I've gone to Dolby's site.
    <a href="http://www.dolbylabs.com/movies/films_previous.html " target="_blank">http://www.dolbylabs.com/movies/films_previous.html

"What do you mean it's too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"
    Radden Home Theater
    Radden Home Theater
  • JohnSC
    • Jun 2002

I too have experienced this and did wonder how that could be. I definitely do get sound from the 6th channel and I assumed it was Rotel XS processing. I am interested in what the official line is on this.

John

Comment

• Scarp
      • Mar 2003

My previous Receiver (Onkyo TX-NR900E) always allowed me to put any normal DD or DTS movie into DD Ex or DTS ES mode. For DTS ES this becomes the Matrixed version obviously.

Some DVD's dont have the EX flag because of some problems with several decoders (the european release of the first Lord of the Rings dvd is an example of a dvd that gives a lot of problem), but in fact those dvd's are in Ex mode.

Personally I would have liked Rotel to just play in 5.1 mode whenever it does not detect EX / ES modes. Even when I have setup the two back channels. And then when pressing the DTS/DD button again, it will switch to EX/ES/Rotel XS mode to put it onto 7.1.

I went back to 5.1 anyway, so no problems for me here

Comment

• Legairre
        • Jan 2002

Thanks for the responses guys.

I can even do EX on some movies I bought back in 1998 which is before EX was even on DVDs.

Radden Home Theater
        Radden Home Theater

Comment

• Scarp
          • Mar 2003

Nothing special... most receivers/processors can do EX on any dolby digital soundtrack (5.1 and higher) no matter what year it was produced.

If it produces the desirable effect, I do not know.

Comment

Working...
          😀
          😂
          🥰
          😘
          🤢
          😎
          😞
          😡
          👍
          👎
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"