X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • opus
    • Nov 2005

New RSP 1066 owner

Hi everyone. I am pretty happy to be here as I have wanted a piece of Rotel gear for awhile now and I finally bought a new/demo RSP 1066 that a friend had sitting unused in a closet for a year now. He bought it and never even plugged it in. Anyway I was able to answer most of my many setup questions using the search feature :T But if you would help me clarify a couple of items that I think I have right but not sure. Keep in mind that three years ago I was using a boom box and quite happy with it so please feel free to talk down to me.

1) When playing SACD, when I press the multi-input/ ext. in button the 1066 automatically goes into 5.1 multichannel mode regardless of what the display says. Is that right? If the display has the DTS flag or Dolbly pro logic flags lit it doesn't matter. Also if the speakers indicate only left, right, sub is it still in multichannel mode? It seems to be. That is my understanding. Please correct if this isn't right.

2) I have three Carver amps hooked up to run my five speakers. When the 1066 is turned off ( and only when it is off) I get a distinct hissing noise from my front 2 speakers ( same amp). My understanding is that this is more than likely a hookup/ cable interference problem than a setup problem with the Rotel. Correct?

3) I've read enough to know that there will be a few eyes rolling with this question. ops: But could somebody please break down any bass management issues that I might have with this unit in multi-channel mode.
    Are these issues model specifac( depending on which 1066 I have)? Is it really something to worry about? I tried to read all I can about it but to be honest my eyes just glaze over and I get lost.

Thanks for everything. I am in love with my first piece of Rotel gear and can't wait to get more.

regards............kevin
  • Kevin D
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2002

Originally posted by opus
    Hi everyone. I am pretty happy to be here as I have wanted a piece of Rotel gear for awhile now and I finally bought a new/demo RSP 1066 that a friend had sitting unused in a closet for a year now.
    Welcome to the cult...er, club.

1) When playing SACD, when I press the multi-input/ ext. in button the 1066 automatically goes into 5.1 multichannel mode regardless of what the display says. Is that right?
    Correct!

2) I have three Carver amps hooked up to run my five speakers. When the 1066 is turned off ( and only when it is off) I get a distinct hissing noise from my front 2 speakers ( same amp). My understanding is that this is more than likely a hookup/ cable interference problem than a setup problem with the Rotel. Correct?
    Correct. Could be a number of things. You could try grounding the cases of all three amps together with a wire. Could eliminate it or cause all three to hiss. With the 1066 being off, chances are it's the amp trying to amplify whatever it can. Do the Carver's have a 12v trigger? If so, you could use that to automatically turn off the amps when the 1066 does. If not, there are way to add this functionality.

3) But could somebody please break down any bass management issues that I might have with this unit in multi-channel mode.
    Ok, the 1066 family (1066,1065,1055) takes everything below 100hz on the 5 main channels and copies this to the sub output. Unfortunately it does not remove this information from the main channels, and it is not defeatable. So you get everything below 100hz twice (once at the main channels and then a copy to the sub). This is what everyone calls bass doubling. You can easily snip two resistors on the multi-channel input board to disable the doubling. Depending upon how 'pure' you want to be, how good the bass management in your DVD player is, and how low you main channels can play will determine whether you should cut them or not.

Keep in mind that the majority of people out there don't know there's a 'problem' and are quite happy with the sound..

Thanks for everything. I am in love with my first piece of Rotel gear and can't wait to get more.

regards............kevin
    It is addicting. And we can always use another Kevin.

Kevin D.

Comment

• aud19
      Twin Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2003

Congrats :T.... I think Kevin covered the rest :lol:

BTW, I did the bass management fix on my 1066, it's way less scary than it sounds and worked great :T
      Jason

Comment

• grit
        • Jan 2005

Hi everyone. I am pretty happy to be here as I have wanted a piece of Rotel gear for awhile now and I finally bought a new/demo RSP 1066 that a friend had sitting unused in a closet for a year now. He bought it and never even plugged it in. Anyway I was able to answer most of my many setup questions using the search feature :T But if you would help me clarify a couple of items that I think I have right but not sure. Keep in mind that three years ago I was using a boom box and quite happy with it so please feel free to talk down to me.

regards............kevin
        Glad to have you here, and don't worry. No one will talk down to you. We're all here to share and everyone has something to contribute (even if it's our mistakes!) :lol:

Comment

• opus
          • Nov 2005

Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome and to Kevin D for the answers to my questions. See ya around.......kevin 8)

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"