X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rosros
    • Feb 2004

life with rsp 1068 vs 1066 vs 1098

In feb I had a chance of comparing side by side the rsp 1098 with the rsp 1066. at the time, I was thinking about upgrading from the 1066 to the 1098. the rsp 1098 was a loaner from my rotel dealer. I had the 1098 for one week. Although the 1066 is a wonderful unit, for my usage, ultimately, it was lacking in the speaker set up flexibility. This is one area the 1098 really shines. Also, when doing an ‘a/b’ comparison, the 1066 was coming up sonically a little short.

When the 1068 finally arrived, I swapped out the 1066. if the 1068 sonic enhancements was anywhere near the 1098, the 1068 would be a keeper. If not, I would have upgraded to the 1098. Compared to the 1066, the 1068 has 13 upgrades ( http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthr...p4?t=1923[/URL ) over the 1066. after having actually used the 1068 in house, I noticed a couple of more upgrades. One is a more robust power supply, switching over to the tordial transformer. Also, the display has been immensely improved. The display shows more info such as which surround mode is active, speakers in use, bit rate, input selection, dsp mode, etc.

Sonically, the 1068 is a noticeable improvement over the 1066. whether it’s the upgraded dac, the power supply, or the new processor; there is a definite sonic enhancement. There is more clarity, more presence, more immediatcey to the presentation. The sound is more analogue than digital. The surround steering is much more aggressive; the dpl IIx being far superior to the rotel Xs. The center rears are much more alive. Switching between the Phillips dvd 962sa dac with the rotels dac show no drop in audio performance, a sure sign that the rotel dac are up to par. Hdcd, xrcd, sacd material sound so involving, clear, detailed, and dynamic----the rsp 1068 would make a fine two channel preamp. The overall size is not imposing, the unit just blends into the rack with the rest of the components.

It has been awhile since I played with the 1098, but from what I can recall, the 1068 has not only closed the gap, but may have even equaled the fine sounding 1098. the only real difference between the 1068 and 1098 becomes the lcd panel. I actually prefer the 1068 display since it shows more info. In my thought, the double in price for essentially the lcd display was not worth it. The pc card concept of the 1098 is great if was for the purpose of being hardware upgradable. I found out the 1098 was not designed for this purpose. I do not like pc card circuitry layout since the circuit are longer with potential for picking up more noise and there are more mechanical connection points with potential for jitter. I prefer the audiophile approach….shortest distance approach with the least amount of components. The 1068 has the more direct approach with appropriate spacing of power/digital/analog/video. The 1098 does have a more rigid reinforced cabinet to help reduce vibrations. Both could use more shielding though.

Is the $400 difference between the 1066 and 1068 worth it? It all depends if: you are into 7.1 the dpl iix is a must have, have different size speakers, want a dual purpose preamp for both hometheather and critical two channel, a more informative display, current rotel support regarding to upgrading resources, than spend the money. If you are happy with 5.1 and have similar sized speakers all around, than the 1066 should be just fine and save your money.

Hitachi 65xwx20b
    Rotel rps 1068
    Philips dvd 962sa
    Panasonic vcr
    A pair of nad 208thx driving the front
    Rotel rb 990bk
    Parasound hca 1000a
    Martin logan sl3, logos, scripts
    Def tech bp2x center rears
    Svs cs+ 16/46, stryke av12 sonotube, hsu vt2, titanic II, m&k 5000thx
    Wires by wireworld polaris biwire, wireworld silver starlite digital, better cable ultra components, jps labs, nordost, signal cable, asylum pc, ixos, xlo, monster sub cables
    Monster hts 5100
    Panamax raxmax lite
    Last edited by aud19; 04 June 2004, 12:09 Friday.
  • GSamF
    • Mar 2004

I agree with the 1098/1068 comparison.

I did a blind a/b with the 1068/1098 and the 1075/1095. Frankly, I am surprised that so many people on this forum chose to go with the 1098 and 1075 instead of upgrading to the 1095 and sticking with the 1068. But I am guessing many of them did so before the 1068 was released.

It's a cool tft screen, but it sure isn't worth $1,300 to me with the sonic difference being so minimal. To me, I'd place the extra grand into the amp, not the processor. (Once again, opinions sure differ, and so do individual ears)

Sam

Comment

• DPA
      • Nov 2003

Well Im one of the 1098 owners and one of the reasons i chosed the 1098 over 1066/68 were that Id like to be able to play my DVD Audio discs without turning on the projector to see the menys...

Im really really saticfied with the 1098(have had Primare and Vincent preamps before)
      I like the easy firmware upgrades also... and that Rotel keep working on getting the amp to be better and better... Not like some manufactors that chose to intruduce a new amp twice every year almost :roll:

Havent heard the 1068 since it havent arrived in Sweden yet... think its next week that they are supposed to be intrudced..
      Demon Dungeon

Comment

• pbarata
        • Feb 2003

Rosros,

On your compare did you used any power conditioner with all units? The 2 channel compare was done using the analogue connection between CD player and pre-amplifier?

Thx
        Movies: Samsung LCD LE37A557, Rotel RSP-1066 & RMB-1075, Sony PS3, VdH D-102 Hybrid III interc, QED XT-350 & Supra Rondo 4x2,5 speaker cable, QED Qunex P75 coax, Monitor Audio Silver 5i/8i/10i speakers, REL Quake sub, QED Qunex SR-SW subwoofer cable, IXOS XHT458 HDMI, Supra LoRad, Isotek Mini Sub GII;
        Music: Rega Planar 3, Goldring 1042, Vincent PHO-8, Krell KAV-280cd, Krell KAV-400xi, B&W 703, Siltech SQ-28 Classic G5 (XLR), Siltech LS-68 Classic Mk2, Nordost Vishnu, QED Qonduit MDH6.

Comment

• triDave
          • Dec 2003

I called septon

yesterday, they are supposed to have them next friday, atleast they said

Dave --- who has waited for four months now for the 1068 ...

Comment

• DrJRapp
            Super Senior Member
            • Apr 2003

Ross,

Thank you for so eloquently and succintly summing the differences between the three units. I've been waiting to see if someone had the access and ability to a/b/c all three units.
            Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• rosros
              • Feb 2004

My dealer was very patient and understanding in allowing me to take the 1098 and 1068 home and play with them. The only thing they wanted in return was to comment on them. They also allowed me to apply the full purchace price of the 1066 towards them.

After spending many years and dollars tweaking my system, at this point I did not want to be penny wise and pound foolish. After hearing the 1098 in my system, I knew it was time to bite the bullet and spend the extra cash for the 1098. But wait; thanks to this forum I knew that the 1068 was being launched with a redesign. Although at the time the specifics were sketchy, rumors had the 1068 being more similar to the 1098 than being different.

As soon as the 1068 was plugged in, I knew immediately this was a keeper. Like the 1098, I knew the sonics were perfect for me. With all of the intentions of purchasing the 1098, the 1068 became a blessing. The 1068 has all of the features, equal the sonics of the 1098 while providing a better display infor and taking up less rack space while saving me 1300 to boot.

The remote is still not all that great. I prefer the older 939 remote. When I find the time, I will download the Rotel template into my Pronto. Oh yeah, you still have to replace the power cord.

For my 2 channel comparison, I used both the analog and digital output of the player. The analog outputs would use the internal player's dac while the digital would use rotel's dac. It became merely swithching inputs on the rotel to do the comparison.

Everything in my system except for the subs are plugged into the Monster HTS 5100. This also helps in reducing ground hum; I have none.

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"