X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BruinsFan
    • Sep 2004

Rmb-1048

I have 4 sets of speakers around the house (3 klipsch pairs, on infinity outdoor). What are the pros/cons to using the RMB-1048 versus a good speaker selector (impendance matching/protection) and good two channel amp (ie RB-1070)

Thanks, as always.

PS. Got my 1070 to go with the 1056 - woohoo!! hooked it up last night but didn't get a chance to play.
  • DrJRapp
    Super Senior Member
    • Apr 2003

I think you already know my position on this one, but let me add some technical detail. This is a highly simplified explanation.The problem with most impedance matching devices is that they tend to radically reduce amplifier damping, sometimes to nothing. Damping is an amps ability to maintain control of a speaker's movement. Reduced damping will result in reduced sound clarity from higher harmonic distortion. An amplifier's ability to contol a signal is expressed as a number we call damping factor. So, depending on the damping factor of the amp and the amount that the particular device reduces damping there can be a degradation of sound clarity and quality.
    Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• BruinsFan
      • Sep 2004

your summation is kind of what i had pieced together from talking with other folks. The general thought is that if I run just the indoor Klipsch - I probably don't even need the imdedance protection, but even if it was on - there shouldn't be a huge degredation. If I run the outdoor infinity - by themself - same idea. If I want to run them all - then I will have to live with some level of degredation.

Since the only time I'd run them all - would be if I had people over or something - clarity wouldn't be a huge concern anyways.

So I opted for the 1070 with the speaker selector. There may be some sound quality difference but I think it'll be minimal for the application and the 1070 I think is a better investment for other use down the line.

It's running and the speakers sound good. Especially the in-ceiling Klipsch. The overall sound is alot better then I was expecting. I've heard other ceiling mount speakers - and these blow them away.

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"