X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • shep
    • Dec 2004

RB-1080 vs. RB-1070 w/ 804s

Here is an age-old question with a twist:

I currently have B&W 804s driven by Rotel RB-1070, w/ RC-1070 and RCD-1072. Due to the layout of our home and the fact that the stereo needs to be locked up to keep my two-year-old son away from it, the stereo is in a family room cabinet and the speakers are in the living room. A 50 foot long single run of 12 gauge brand-is-not-important-for-this-discussion in-wall wire connects the speakers. I love the setup, but find myself listening at much lower volumes most of the time (let's say, between 7:30 and 9:00 on the pre-amp dial). At lower volumes, I feel a great loss of dynamics on primarily jazz and some classical music. I plan a couple changes to fix this, including some or all of the following: 1) a second run of speaker wire to bi-wire the speakers; 2) moving the stereo closer to the speakers, so the speaker wire run is shorter - maybe 20-25 feet; and 3) upgrading to the RB-1080. Option one will set me back a modest $125. Option two requires a new stereo cabinet with a lock (I have my eye on the Salamander S40, which will run about $850). Option 3 will set me back about $900 to $1000, depending on my negotiating skills, minus the going rate for a lovingly cared-for RB-1070. I am reluctant to move the stereo at the moment due to the two-year-old, but I hope that the better damping ability of the 1080 would help me with low-volume dynamics. Not too sure how much I am losing in terms of dynamics on the long run of wire or if a second run of equal length would improve things. Just not sure where I will get my best bang for the buck, but I ultimately expect, within a year or two, to have a better amp, bi-wired, closer to the speakers. Fellow Rotelians, I am open to any suggestions not listed here that would improve low-level listening, as long as they don't involve shelling out $4000 for a Classe amp (my ultimate goal, when money starts growing on trees). Many thanks in advance for your input.
  • shep
    • Dec 2004

Let me rephrase: with the above equipment, and given the long speaker wire run I have, will the RB-1080 give me a significant improvement in low(er) volume dynamics compared to the RB-1070? I intend to set up an audition but was hoping for an inkling of what I might find if others have compared the two amps on the same speakers.

Comment

• shadow
      • Dec 2003

No real difference given your self imposed restrictions on volume. Biwiring is a waste of money too in this regard. If you listen at low volume levels, the only way to get good dynamics is to switch to a horn based speaker, which has its own sonic drawbacks. You did not give a specific reason for playing music at a low level so I assume its your child. As long as you listen at a low level with your current speakers I do not see any amp making a great improvement including the Classe.

Comment

• csuzor
        • Nov 2004

I would say the "50 foot long single run of 12 gauge brand-is-not-important-for-this-discussion in-wall wire" is the cause of the problem. The lower the intended listening volume, the more transparent the wire will need to be for such long distances. A poor wire will lose the very low volume information. I don't see how any amp would help.

However, if your "background noise" is at 30db (typical home), and you want to listen at 50db, then you've only got 20db available dynamic range, and nothing can help you.

A better investment is some sonic room treatment, to allow you to increase the volume a few more db. My 2 year old son was 1 of the reasons I moved into the garage.

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"