X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chanlon
    • Sep 2003

1068 Calibration with SPL from Audio Control

Hi guys,

I just finished calibrating my 1068 using the Rotel Test Tones and a Real Time Spectrum Analyzer from Audio Control. I had the volume on the processor at 66 (display) and was looking to balance the speakers to 75db.

Interestingly, the subwoofer setting is at -8DB where the other speakers range from +2 to +5 DB's. To me, this subwoofer setting appears low.
    I am using a B&W ASW675 switched out (using the crossover in the 1068).

Do anybody think this is strange or should I simply trust the readout on the SPL test?

Thanks,
    Chris
  • Kevin D
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2002

The sub out on the new pieces is 10db too low I believe. Set it back to 66 on the volume on tune it to 85db.

Kevin D.

Comment

• aarsoe
      • May 2004

Chanlon

It all depends on the volume adjustment on your sub.. ;-)

Comment

• Scherr
        • Dec 2003

Has anyone determined whether the 1056/1068/1067 have the sub too low? I know the 1098 did, but I was wondering about these. (I have the 1056).

Thanks!

Scott

Comment

• chanlon
          • Sep 2003

Does anybody else agree with Kevin D that the 1068 is 10DB too low on the sub out?

Thanks for your input guys!
          Chris

Comment

• Kevin D
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Oct 2002

I knew the 1098 had it and mostly assumed the others did since they share the same update path. The output wasn't low on the 1098, just the test tone.. Should be setting it via a test-disc anyway..

Kevin D.

Comment

• chaz3444
              • Sep 2004

How do I get my 1068 to NOT put out test tones so I can use the Avia tones and still adjust my speaker settings? Is there a disable for the internal test tone? Thanks! :T

--Chaz

Comment

• chanlon
                • Sep 2003

I would assume you simply don't use the Rotel test tones. Just play the test disc as you would be watching a standard DVD.

Chris

Comment

• DrJRapp
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Apr 2003

Originally posted by aarsoe
                  Chanlon

It all depends on the volume adjustment on your sub.. ;-)
                  I agree, but also sub placement and room acoustics have a great impact on sub output. When I set up my system I set the sub level in the processor (in my case a 1066) at zero, then I used the volume control on my sub to bring it to about 6db above the rest of the speakers on my rat shack sound meter. I used 6db above the rest because the sound meter is that much less accurate at low frequencies. Then, and only then did I fine tune the sub with the processor and my ears.
                  Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• chaz3444
                    • Sep 2004

Chris,

The only way to adjust the speaker level individually is through the "test tone" area of the on screen menu system. The tone comes out whether I want them to or not. I would like to listen to the Avia DVD and use the individual speaker level adjustments on the Rotel to get a perfect balance. Not the internal test tones. Unfourtantly, I don't think its possible......I thought someone might know.

--Chaz

Comment

• aud19
                      Twin Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2003

Basically you have to play the AVIA/DVE disc tones, note their SPL, pause, go back in to Rotel's setup add or subtract accordingly, go back to the disc's test tones and confirm the signal went up or down the appropriate amount...etc

Rinse and repeat :lol:

Jason
                      Jason

Comment

• chanlon
                        • Sep 2003

Thanks for all your help on the matter. I followed your input and have the 1068 singing now.

Chris

Comment

• Mark_C.
                          • Jan 2003

Basically you have to play the AVIA/DVE disc tones, note their SPL, pause, go back in to Rotel's setup add or subtract accordingly, go back to the disc's test tones and confirm the signal went up or down the appropriate amount...etc
                          Ahhhh! That's what I had to do last night for about 45 minutes. We had a power surge (or something like it) the night before and it wiped out my speaker level settings on my 1066. Strange thing about it, though, was that not all my settings were affected.

Comment

• BruinsFan
                            • Sep 2004

hate to ask the brainless question here but is there a significant difference using the test tones in the Rotel setup versus test tone disc? I did it from the receiver and all sounds fine to me.

Comment

• aud19
                              Twin Moderator Emeritus
                              • Aug 2003

Originally posted by BruinsFan
                              hate to ask the brainless question here but is there a significant difference using the test tones in the Rotel setup versus test tone disc? I did it from the receiver and all sounds fine to me.
                              Should be close enough but playing test tones from the same player you'll be playing movies with, gives an even more accurate representation of the info the player will be sending as compared to levels the pre/pro or receiever assumes it will get.

Jason
                              Jason

Comment

• Scherr
                                • Dec 2003

I researched old threads about the subwoofer being too low on the 1098. Apparently this was fixed on the 1098 through a software upgrade and is not an issue on the 1056/1068 as far as I can tell.

I calibrated my 1056 using the internal test tones and it sounds really good. I calibrated the subwoofer at 72db's as recommended by the manual due to the inaccuracy of the soundmeter at low frequencies.

Scott

Comment

• Scherr
                                  • Dec 2003

Well, I used the test tones of Avia and compared them with my 1056.

The subwoofer on Avia was 10db's higher than the 1056's internal test tones. All others were dead on.

I guess it is still an issue with the newer units.

Scott

Comment

• Kevin D
                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                    • Oct 2002

To complicate things more, I believe one of the test disks has their sub test tone 10db hot and your supposed to calibrate it 10db higher than the rest. I know there is an issue with AVIA vs Video essentials on what level to actually calibrate it. Maybe someone more familiar can chime in..

Kevin D.

Comment

Working...
                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                    Search Result for "|||"