X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • whmacs
    • Oct 2003

Subwoofer Calibration Question

Hi All,
    A real quick sub calibration question. When calibrating a sub using the test tones (or a test disk) is it best to leave the sub's speaker adjustment level on the processor at 0db and use the sub's volume control to get a 75db reading on an SPL meter or; set the sub's volume to say 1/2 way and adjust using the sub's speaker adjustment levels on the processor assuming that you are already calibrated say the left front speaker (to 75db) and have the processor set to the correct master volume level?

Thanks,
    Stephen

My Home Theatre
    My Home Theatre
  • brucek
    HTG Expert
    • Aug 2000

Quick answer to quick question....

I would recommend this method:

When calibrating a sub using the test tones (or a test disk) is it best to leave the sub's speaker adjustment level on the processor at 0db and use the sub's volume control to get a 75db reading on an SPL meter
    brucek

Comment

• aud19
      Twin Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2003

ditto

Jason

Need a new display? Questions about new display technologies? Visit RPTVs, plasmas, and other monitors @ HTguide
      Jason

Comment

• Bam!
        Super Senior Member
        • Jan 2004

Hi Brucek....

Just curious....Why?

Take care

Bam!
        Got a nice rack to show me ?

Comment

• whmacs
          • Oct 2003

Hi Guys,
          Thanks for comfirming that.

cheers,
          Stephen

My Home Theatre
          My Home Theatre

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
            Super Senior Member
            • Oct 2003

Bam!,

Just curious....Why?

The main reason is to avoid possible clipping on the sub output. Sub levels are high any how (reference is 115db compared to 105 db for speakers). So if you (say) set your sub outout at +10db this is 10 times the power (ie 1V becomes 10V or something like that!) and you can clip either the processor output or the subs input on loud bass by exceeding the tolerance of the line level amplifiers. In reality however , up to +3 dB (double the power) is usually fine.

Also Processor bass processing is very complex with redirection from lots of speakers at once as well as the LFE channel. There have been reports of some recievers and processors over the years getting the relative redirected bass level wrong when calibarated with the sub-setting other than 0db. For example there was a long running thread on HTF on this for the Denon 3802.

Generally accepted "good practice" is to calibrate with your front left and right and the sub set at 0db and offset the other speaker levels up and down from that.

Hope this helps

Geoff

Comment

• Chris D
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Dec 2000

Yeah, that's how I've always done it, Geoff, setting mains and subwoofer to 0 on the receiver. Then adjust the sub with the manual knob on the sub itself, and the other speakers with the receiver's adjustment menus.

Not sure why I've done it like that, but it gave me the best results.

Just to be clear, even if the sub's reference output is different than speakers, all speakers and subs are still calibrated with a constant reference volume. Most of the time, they should all be calibrated at the THX theater reference volume of 75db.

CHRIS
              Luke: "Hey, I'm not such a bad pilot myself, you know"
              CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
              - Pleasantville

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"