X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BruinsFan
    • Sep 2004

RB-1075 vs. 2 RB-1070

ok - not exactly an apples to apple comparison. But I have the 1056. I was thinking of adding a 1070 for the front and then a 1050 for the 4 sets of ceiling mounted speakers I have throughout the house. The guy at the A/V store wasn't sure the 1050 would be enough. He's like yes but to be safe - go with the 1070.

So two 1070 would run 1200-1300 I think. Or one RB-1075 would be less the $1000. I could run the mains and the ceiling speakers as I wanted - and just have this one extra channel if needed. (two centers?!?!)

The 1070 is a bit more powerful but I don't need it. I'm sure the sound is a little cleaner and better but will I actually "hear" the difference for $300-400 more?
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

I might be tempted to go for the 1075 now and save for a 1080 later... Seems a bit of a waste using two of the 1075's channels for some secondary ceiling speakers though.... That's a tough one.

Jason
    Jason

Comment

• Azeke
      Super Senior Member
      • Mar 2003

I concur with Jason :T .

Regards,

Azeke

Comment

• aud19
        Twin Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2003

Also I'd run your centre off the 1075 as well. So that would be the front three and a second zone off the 1075 (maybe the bigger room..?) and the 1055 for rears and second, second zone.

Jason
        Jason

Comment

• BruinsFan
          • Sep 2004

I'm not sure I can redirect the fronts, use the power for center rears (7.1) and still power the 2nd zone all from the 1056.

So the RB-1075 would need to run the fronts, the center channel and the 2nd zone. The 2nd zone is 3 sets of Klipsch rcr5s and one set of Infinity outdoor speakers - so how much is enough for zone 2???

Also, the 1056's 75 watts per channel has exceed my expectations - moving up to 120 or 130 seems like more then enough - so going to the 1080 really seems like overkill to me.

how about sound quality??

Comment

• DrJRapp
            Super Senior Member
            • Apr 2003

I use a 1050 to drive a pair of Polk outdoor speakers rated at 125wpc. It does a formidable job. The 1050 should be adequate depending on a few things. First, do you know the efficiency of the Infinity outdoor speakers? Secondly, how are the speakers interconnected? Will they be running in parallel? If so you may have impedance issues which will drop the effective power output of the 1050. I don't even know if the 1050 will work well at higher impedances. Those amps are really not designed to run parallel speaker loads like a distribution amplifier would. Rotel makes two amps more suitable for that purpose, they are the RMB 1066. It's a six channel amp, 60 wpc and can run three pair of speakers. Their RMB 1048 is an eight channel amp @40 wpc. These amps are also bridgeable to three or four channels , but I'm not a big fan of bridging, since it usually results in some loss of sound quality. I often see them going used for cheap money on Audiogon and Ebay. It seems people buy them thinking of using them for HT, then realize that they arn't everything they need to make their theater thump at it's best.
            Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• aud19
              Twin Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2003

Originally posted by BruinsFan
              The 2nd zone is 3 sets of Klipsch rcr5s and one set of Infinity outdoor speakers
              You're planning to connect all 4 sets of speakers to one stereo output of the 1075?!?! :E BAD idea :nonod: I agree with DrJRapp, get the RMB 1066 for the second zone and a 1070 for your mains if you still want extra power or to move to 7.1.

Jason
              Jason

Comment

• TheBottom
                • Sep 2004

Get 3 1070's!!!

That's the way to do it! Other than that I'd just get a 1075 then save BIGTIME for a RB-1090, the best power amp at it's price point. Even comparitive to amps three times it's price.

Take advantage of the Rotel price drop.

Comment

• BruinsFan
                  • Sep 2004

The 4 sets of speakers are hooked into a Tivoli speaker selector which is suppose to match impedance and provide impedance protection. I don't know if that means they are running in parrallel or not. I do know I hooked them up to two outputs from the 1056 receiver and cranked them all and it work/sound good. The Infinity's are not very efficient - especially compared to the Klipsch. But worked fine providing audio to the patio.

Not sure I need the power of a 1090. I'm thinking of going with 1070s. One for the mains, one for the in-home audio. Get some more down the road.

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"