X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Joey_V
    • Jul 2005

1070 or 1080... with a twist!

I have been offered a used (super condition) RB1070 for $450. However, I had my eyes on the RB1080 (brand new only since there have been numerous problems posted here and I want warranty).

How different are the two?

Does the 1070 also have the separate power supplies for each channel as the 1080 does (according to rotel site)?

Is the difference enough to warrant the $450 vs $1100 (with tax) price jump?

Also, consider that I am powering bookshelf speakers: Polk LSi9 (4ohms)

My local dealer only had the 1050 and 1070 in-store for a demo and they both (especially the 1070) blew the lid off my HK330 (I brought it in for an A/B demo) while powering some BW 70x series towers (I forget the number).

THANKS!!
    Analog: VPI Scoutmaster w/ Steel Delrin clamp + Dynavector 20XH cart
    Digital: SB3 + PS Audio Digital Link III DAC
    System: Cary Audio SLP-98P Tube Preamplifier w/ Sylvanias -> Plinius SA102 Class A amplifier -> Martin Logan SUMMITS/Strata Minis -> 8O (me)
  • PewterTA
    • Nov 2004

From when I demoed the 1070 and the 1080, I think that the differences you noticed in the 1050 and the 1070 is the same with the 1070 and 1080.

Though it might be slightly less of a difference as I've not heard the 1050...not sure. I think the 1080 is completely worth it, HOWEVER...the 1080 can be had for less than 1100...tell them you want a discount on it...and you should easily get it for 1000 or less.
    Digital Audio makes me Happy.
    -Dan

Comment

• miner
      • Mar 2005

I am 110% totally happy with my RB-1070\RC-1070 combo. The 130 watts (actually probably 170) per channel is plenty to drive my B&W804N. MY dealer does not discoutn Rotel or B&W at all and he is the only dealer in the Houston area. No competition means no discount.

Comment

• Joey_V
        • Jul 2005

Originally posted by PewterTA
        From when I demoed the 1070 and the 1080, I think that the differences you noticed in the 1050 and the 1070 is the same with the 1070 and 1080.

Though it might be slightly less of a difference as I've not heard the 1050...not sure. I think the 1080 is completely worth it, HOWEVER...the 1080 can be had for less than 1100...tell them you want a discount on it...and you should easily get it for 1000 or less.
        But my question is:

Is the difference worth double what I pay for the 1070? 450$ vs 1000$+?
        Analog: VPI Scoutmaster w/ Steel Delrin clamp + Dynavector 20XH cart
        Digital: SB3 + PS Audio Digital Link III DAC
        System: Cary Audio SLP-98P Tube Preamplifier w/ Sylvanias -> Plinius SA102 Class A amplifier -> Martin Logan SUMMITS/Strata Minis -> 8O (me)

Comment

• tboooe
          • Jun 2005

Your question is something that all audio enthusiasts contend with. Is it worth it to pay double to get 15% more improvement. To some people absolutely yes! To other no. It really depends on you. I know this was not the answer you were looking for but I think it is the only possible answer. That being said, and considering the fact that you intend on using Polk bookshelves, I would go with the 1070. The question to ask yourself is if the speakers will benefit from the 1080.

I am also considering getting a new amp (Classe) but right now I have B&W 805S and I just dont believe that the amp will add that much to the quality and experience. However, I do intend on upgrading to 804, 803 in the near future and at that point I will seriously consider a new amp because the speakers will benefit from it.

Comment

• mjb
            Super Senior Member
            • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Joey_V
            But my question is:

Is the difference worth double what I pay for the 1070? 450$ vs 1000$+?
            Only YOU can really answer that. But, IMO, no! A 1070 for $450 is a great deal, and an honest 130 watts is more than enough for most living rooms.
            - Mike

Main System:
            B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
            Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Those are 4 ohm speakers so you'd be getting 200 watts from that 1070...which is a lot of clean power

Comment

• thyname
                • Jan 2005

The question whether to upgrade from RB1070 to RB-1080 has been asked a lot in this forum, and you can do a search on that. I asked the same question a while ago and got many great opinions from various respected members in this forum:

I did swap my RB-1070 for a RB-1080. A brief opinion is that the differences are not as big as I expected.

In your case I would suggest you buy RB-1070. For that price!!!!

Comment

• ds22030
                  • Sep 2004

Joey, one thought re. Rotel blowing the top of HK, did you hook up the 1050 to the preouts of your HK or was a different preamp used? Preamp makes hell of a difference in the sound quality.

Comment

• Azeke
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Mar 2003

For the price and considering your current speakers, the RB1070. You can trade-up or sale the 1070 later.

Just my quick thoughts,

Azeke

Comment

• rnoble
                      • Sep 2004

I think if they're 4ohm speakers they might ocassionally dip to 2.5 or so ohms so you should strongly consider the 1080 as it'll handle the current much better.

This would be evidenced in the speakers 'losing it' in the ocassional low bass scene if you are running them as large.

If your tastes in volume and material don't require this, or your tastes in setup determine set your speakers to small for a higher xover then the 1070 will do nicely. (I.e roll them off at around 60Hz with your processor and the 1070 is heaps)

Comment

• gianni
                        • Nov 2002

Originally posted by Joey_V
                        I have been offered a used (super condition) RB1070 for $450. However, I had my eyes on the RB1080 (brand new only since there have been numerous problems posted here and I want warranty).

How different are the two?

Does the 1070 also have the separate power supplies for each channel as the 1080 does (according to rotel site)?

Is the difference enough to warrant the $450 vs $1100 (with tax) price jump?

Also, consider that I am powering bookshelf speakers: Polk LSi9 (4ohms)

My local dealer only had the 1050 and 1070 in-store for a demo and they both (especially the 1070) blew the lid off my HK330 (I brought it in for an A/B demo) while powering some BW 70x series towers (I forget the number).

THANKS!!

If you don't go with the 1070, please shoot me an email as I would be interested in it at that price.

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"