X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ds22030
    • Sep 2004

Recently got Rotel 1075...need opinions

Hi folks, I just got the Rotel 1075 amp to run my new speakers (Polk LSi15). I really like the looks of the Rotels line and tehy get good reviews. I have it hooked up to the Polks which are 4 Ohm speakers that sound great. I am running a Harman AVR 230 as pre/pro. I have the system BI-AMPed with each speaker using 2 channels of the Rotel PER speaker. Right now, I am not 100% happy with my rig tho.

Here are my observations:

1. The speakers sounded good with HK running them and when I hooked up the Rotel (no-biamp), it sounded worse. With bi-amping, it sounds better than with HK alone. Of course, bi-amped sounds better than HK alone or without biamping. Why is HK's 50 watts better sounding than 120 watts of Rotel? The answer is likely in #2 below.

2. My rig appears to be interconnect sensitive meaning that I can clearly hear differences between the cables between the HK and the Rotel. It helps that I have good hearing. So far, I have tried coax type from bluejeans cables and they sounded pretty bad with the highs being muddied and harsh. Monster interconnects "Reference" improved it. Radio Shack cables got rid of the muddiness but it is harsh. Acoustic Research Pro Series II really opened up the speakers and highs are crystal clear but the bass sounds a bit out of control. The AR cables are the best of the bunch and I have them in now.

Are there known good interconnects that work well with Rotel amps, and in particular, HK/Rotel combo? I don't want to be raped on the interconnects and AR seems to be of pretty good quality...just wondering if there is anything better....coaxial types of cables need not apply.

3. Am I better off with a Rotel 1080 that has a much higher dampening factor? The 1075 serves my desire to drive my center speaker using hte extra channel with the HK driving the rears. My orig. plan was to use 1075 until I can also get a 1090 to drive the mains but that amp is pretty $$.
    Of course, if I return the 1075 and go 1080, I will lose bi-amping and power so I am not sure how that will play out.

What do you guys think?

Daniel
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

As far as interconnects go the best I've heard (and own) are the SilverCats from our forum sponsor CatCables. While it may seem we're supposed to push our sponsor's products there's a ton of very positive feedback all over the web on these cables and I don't hold back negative comments on products I don't like (which gets me in trouble sometimes) Anyway what the silver cables are known for is crystal clear highs and deep powerful bass.

With regard to the 1075 vs 1080 vs 1090 I'd say that if HT is where you want to go the 1075 paired up with either the 1080 or 1090 makes perfect sense. If 2 channel audio is your main goal at the moment though maybe getting the 1080 now and the 1075 later would make more sense. Also if you're bi amping how are you spitting the signal?

Comment

• aud19
      Twin Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2003

Ok where to start... The 1080 will almost definitely sound better for two-channel than the 1075 however the dampening factor will have little or nothing to to with that. Anything over 100 is more than adequate. As you stated, you will lose the center channel though... IMO stick with the 1075 and upgrade to the 1080 or 1090 later for your mains and utilize the 1075 for center/surrounds.

AR make good IC's however another brand you might try is forum sponsor, Cat Cables. They make excellent cables and Doug will tailor the cable selection to your gear, tastes and budget.

As for why you might prefer the HK's sound could have something to do with IC's as mentioned or could simply be the fact that you're used to it... Also what are you using for a source, the source's IC's and software? Any of these factors in the chain if they're not complimentary to eachother can cause audible "issues". For example a bright source, playing bright software over bright cables etc will likely sound harsh at the top end...

Jason
      Jason

Comment

• resperc
        • May 2004

I purchased interconnects from outlaw audio. I use them between my RSP-1068 and an RMB-1075. They sound great. They are priced very compettively and you can get an even better discount by purchasing a set (5 singles or 3 pairs). I have also heard very good things about CatCables. I just wanted to offer another option. Good Luck!!!

PS-I am thinking about getting a set lf LSi's myself (9s, C, and FXs). Let us know how it sounds after everything is "up and running". I am very curious.

Comment

• ds22030
          • Sep 2004

Thanks everyone for your comments and insights.

Andrew:
          I am splitting the signal at the AVR prouts using IXOS adapter which has a male and 2 females in a small compact unit. I was thinking of getting some AR Y-splitter cable to match the interconnect to see if it makes a difference. In looking at various posts, it seems Catcables do get high remarks...admittedly, I am shy about silver cables tho as I have heard some "bad" aspects although I cant recall what they were and also the $$. How is the bass, is it tight? What other cables have you tried if you dont mind sharing? I listen to 80% symphonic/orchestral music, 10% other music and 10% HT so "musical" system is EXTREMELY important to me. I don't want boomy bass, or anything accenuated at all...I just want the sound that was recorded in a clear manner. I would like bi-amp cables to try but as a non-standard item, I will have to be convinced they will sound good.

Jason:
          Can you elaborate as to why the 1080 will sound better than a 1075, esp. considering 1075 allows biamping?
          My source now is a Yammy CD that is about 12 yrs old (but of good quality). I will be wanting to upgrade but I am going in the order: speakers, amps, cd player, dvd player, stereo amp. I just didnt realize how much impact interconnects had and how $$ they can get so that will have to wait until I get the wiring sorted.
          Also, I was always told that to control movement of woofer drivers, the higher the dampening factor the better. Granted these numbers are often fudged by manufacturers, I would think Rotel would be at least consistent in their own line so 1080's higher number would perform better. BTW, the HK230 is a refurb I got at the same time as the Rotel so no biasing going on here (if anything, I was biased as to the Rotel sounding better). I am still in the 30 day window of my components HK and Rotel so I can return things.

Rsperc:
          Don't get me wrong, my present system sounds pretty darn good. The LSi's are really great speakers, and very good value for the $. I listened to a lot of speakers before buying these. Extremely musical with highs that can be so clear, my jaws drop. I will let people know how things pan out.

I will have to contact catcables and see what they got but I am a bit gunshy about these internet only co. Bluejeans cable also got extremely good reviews but didnt work well with my rig so now I am out $20 for shipping from and to.

Comment

• aud19
            Twin Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2003

First of all let me just say Doug at Cat Cables is awesome to deal with he's not pushy at all and will only sell you something that will sound good to your ears. In other words if through talking to you he thinks his silver cables won't be to your tastes with your equipment he'll recommend something else, even his less expensive stuff. His goal is to make sure you get the best product for you, so you're happy, not just make a quick buck.

The 1080 will sound better as it's more specialized. It was designed specifically for 2-channel plus it's large power supply only has to feed 2 channels not 5 etc. I'll always take 1 more powerful amp over bi-amped, less powerful amps. Honestly any dampening factor over 100 is more than adequate and will make little to no difference. Don't take my word for it though, go listen and decide for yourself.

Jason
            Jason

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Andrew:
              I am splitting the signal at the AVR prouts using IXOS adapter which has a male and 2 females in a small compact unit. I was thinking of getting some AR Y-splitter cable to match the interconnect to see if it makes a difference. In looking at various posts, it seems Catcables do get high remarks...admittedly, I am shy about silver cables tho as I have heard some "bad" aspects although I cant recall what they were and also the $$. How is the bass, is it tight? What other cables have you tried if you dont mind sharing? I listen to 80% symphonic/orchestral music, 10% other music and 10% HT so "musical" system is EXTREMELY important to me. I don't want boomy bass, or anything accenuated at all...I just want the sound that was recorded in a clear manner. I would like bi-amp cables to try but as a non-standard item, I will have to be convinced they will sound good.
              Silver is very good at giving you clean and clear upper freq's and that was all I was expecting when I upgraded my IC's from the IXOS gold's I had before. What I didn't expect to hear was the improved tightness in the bass in and some respects that was worth the price alone although I live for the "air" good gear can give you on a well recorded CD etc. Before the IXOS IC's I've tried tributeries emeralds, RS gold, AR and a few others but non come close to the SilverCats. I've also got a pair of the Coppercats which have the same build quality and locking RCA's but are obviously copper. They're nice also but lack the air the silvercats have so I use them for my surround speakers.

Regarding damping factor its a non issue. Anything above 100 is as good as it gets...in other words you will not hear a difference in amps if one's rated at 100 and the others at 1000 if the only difference were the damping factor...now that said the 1080 was engineered to sound more audiophile then the 1075 (same can be said for all the 2 channel vs 5 channel Rotel amps) so you might enjoy its sound over the bi amped 1075.

For your splitter the best I've found so far actually comes from Radio Shack of all places as they sell a solid splittler that's gold plated for a decent price. I know several of us here are using that to spit our pre outs without loosing audio quality in a lesser splitter. Also since the Catcables are all hand made you might inquire about have a set built so that there's two IC's coming off one barrel so you wouldn't have to deal with a splitter at all.

Comment

• ds22030
                • Sep 2004

Man, those silver cables are pretty pricey! I left a message for Doug and will see what he says regarding the custom biamp cables.

Andrew, yea I saw the adapters at Radio Shack I think you are referring to and that is the type that I am using except it is from IXOS. I like them except that the housings of the L and R channels are awefully close together when inserted into the AVR preouts....bit nervous about them contacting each other which, I would think, would cause major signal mixing between the two channels. That is why I am considering going to AR cable splitter. I really appreciate your comments regarding the various cables you have tried. Admittedly there are so many damn cables out there, it is way too confusing. I heard the guideline is that your cables should be about 10% in cost to your system....

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

There's nothing to worry about if the outter barrel of the RCA's touch each other...that's just the ground...besides the outer part of the RCA its plugging into on the back of your pre amp is connected together anyway so it makes no difference...now the hot centre pins are a different story

Comment

• ds22030
                    • Sep 2004

Oh...thanks for the tid bit. So even though the adapter is made out of brass (looks like), the outer body on which the 3 RCA plugs extend out do not carry any signal and the outer part of the RCA connector does not carry signal either? They are just ground? Only the center pin carries signal?! LOL. I inserted a little piece of plastic to make sure the adaptors were apart. I guess that is not necessary....as you can tell, I am relatively new to all this.

Comment

• jlee
                      • Aug 2004

1. For splitters, Monster makes a pretty good one available for about $20 for a pair. I would get the all metal one as opposed to the one that has 6" of wire. Can somebody send me a pic or link to the radio shack one? Is it better than the monster one? If so, I may get that one instead. It's pretty hard to find a good splitter on the net. However, as Andrew mentioned, if you know you're going to biwire, u can get the cables custom done with 2 ends... HOWEVER, that will affect resale... not too many people will want a cable like that... I suggest sticking with the splitter... it's more flexible that way.

2. For cables, even the entry level Precision-Link ($129 for 1m pair) by Harmonic Tech blow me away for the money... so much so that I replaced even the cheap cables on my 2nd office system with them (I think the cables cost almost as much as the Bell Express Vu Sat. receiver I use them on ). I don't make any commission from Harmonic Tech nor am I a rep for Harmonic Tech. I just love their cables. I have HT everything in my system.

3. I like to use 15% as a general rule for the cables... 20% at the most, 10% at the least, and about 15% overall for an audiophile system. It can go up to 20% if the lengths start getting long... anything less than 10% and usually the cables are the weakpoint and there is no point spending the money on the nicer components when you won't get the most out of them. This figure also varies a bit depending on whether it's just audio, audio/video, the quality of your video gear, etc... so it's just a GENERAL rule of thumb.

Comment

• DrJRapp
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Apr 2003

Originally posted by ds22030
                        Man, those silver cables are pretty pricey! I left a message for Doug and will see what he says regarding the custom biamp cables.
                        Dan
                        I use a brand of very well built silver cables that are highly cost effective and sound much better than they should for the price. With all due respects to Doug, not everyone can afford the best and may have to settle for something less. Since you are someone who is still using his receiver as a pre-pro, I have to assume you fall into that category. Unfortunatly in home theater, even highly cost effective cables eat up a budget quickly, purely because there are so many of them.

To avoid any possible violation of the rules, if you PM or email me I will give you the name of my source.
                        Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Aug 2000

You're right about some of the cables getting very pricey but like a good amp they'll last you a very long time and so I look at them as a long term investment. You can also look at getting the 0.5 meter lenghts which will save you a little as well and can make your rats nest of wire a little less cluttered.

Comment

• ds22030
                            • Sep 2004

Hey guys, thanks for all the input. Wonderful introduction to separates heh? I am listening to Enya....going into surreal land....I will look into the other cables noted. jlee, the Radio Shack one was about $6 IIRC...no cables, just a little brass block. The ixos I got looks like this and seems to work well except the closeness to eachother which I thought was a problem....but apparently not a problem at all 8O .

PS DrJRap, you got pm.
                            Attached Files

Comment

• dermie999
                              • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Andrew Pratt
                              .... so I look at them as a long term investment.
                              Oh yeah sure a HT component a long term investment. If ever there was an oxymoron this was it.

Trevor

Melbourne, Australia

Comment

• jlee
                                • Aug 2004

Thanks for the pic of the splitter... looks very similar to the Monster one... I bet 1 company makes it for all the companies... but Monster charges $20 because of the brand and Radio Shack $6 ... it prob. costs like $3 to make... actually, Monster has a $15 version that looks like that one... the $20 version has slightly better "swirl" contact points... or so Monster says haha... Oh, and is the $6 for 1 or 2? The monster pricing is for 2.

Comment

• ds22030
                                  • Sep 2004

Well Trevor, Andrew does have a good point in that the cables are one part of your system that stays while everything else gets replaced/updated. Let's just hope that RCA connectors are permanent. Part of me getting the AVR instead of a pre/pro is the cost, especially considering who knows what type of format things are going to be in in several years.
                                  Jlee, the price was for one adaptor and the picture is ixos, not Radio Shack....you are probably right about being manufactured in one place. I got these cuz I figured they will perform better than Y splitter cables but dont know if that is true..

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Aug 2000

Trevor my pronto remote and silvercats are two of the oldest peices of my HT system...and they'll both out last most of the other gear as well

Comment

• dermie999
                                      • Jul 2004

Sorry guys it was my poor attempt at humour. I have been bitten by the bug (upgraditis) and am continually changing gear. So I sort of saw any purchase of HT equipment as definitely only a short term "investment". I wasn't meaning to imply you didn't know what you were talking about. :W

Trevor

Comment

Working...
                                      Searching...Please wait.
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                      Search Result for "|||"