Upgrading power cables on my Rotel Equipment?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Horacio
    • Jan 2005

Upgrading power cables on my Rotel Equipment?

I'm contemplating upgrading my system with new power cables and would like to know if you think/know if this would improve sound quality.

I own a Rotel system: RCD-1072 CD player, RC-1070 pre amp, RB-1080 amp, with the power cables provided by Rotel, Nordost interconnects, B&W CM-4s, and regular speakerwire (which will be upgraded shortly).

I'm contemplating buying Nordost's Shivas or Vishnus or Shunyata's Python or Taipans (in any case, will buy used). Do you think I will hear the difference? Would you recommend other power cables? Would you recommend a different upgrade before power cables (other than speaker cable)?

Thank you folks!
    Horacio
  • maddog
    • Oct 2003

Horacio, this is not the best place to ask for cable recommendations. One of the sponsors/owners of this forum is a cable manufacturer. If any cables other than theirs are recommended, those posts will be deleted by a moderator (or at least that's what happened when I recommended a cable other than the house brand...)

Comment

• Adz
      • Jan 2004

I do not believe that the owner of this forum manufactures and/or sells power cables, (just digital/analog ICs and speaker cable) so perhaps, its fair game?
      Adz

Comment

• Kevin D
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Oct 2002

There are several threads on power cables so I'm sure it's fine.. However any thread on power cords never really amounts to much except an arguement.

Kevin D.

Comment

• will1066
          • Aug 2003

I didn't come here for an argument. So, where I can go for abuse?

Comment

• maddog
            • Oct 2003

Originally posted by Adz
            I do not believe that the owner of this forum manufactures and/or sells power cables, (just digital/analog ICs and speaker cable) so perhaps, its fair game?
            I just looked at their website and it looks like you are right. I could not find any power cords. But, I do think that they used to make them because I remember a post from a couple years ago where someone mentioned that they wanted to spend about $50 on a power cord and the owner said that they had power cords, but not for $50.

Anyway, I use a power cord other than the stock one on my Rotel RSX-1055. I auditioned several before making my decision. My only advice is that you need to audition the power cord in your setup before buying because all but the one I bought made my system sound worse than the stock powercord.

Comment

• bigburner
              Super Senior Member
              • May 2005

Horacio, a knowledgeable member of the HT Guide Forum - brucek - has the following to say on the matter:

...since we have 20amp (12 gauge) dedicated circuits up to the equipment, it would seem wise to replace all the cords with the appropriate 12guage power cord. In fact a lot of equipment comes with 16gauge cords, which has been sized by the manufacturer to the spec for that equipments current draw - but it's so easy to replace them with a 12gauge or better, why not.

I suggest that you check out brucek's posts.

Comment

• lvhung
                • Jun 2005

Must hear Harmonic technology 180$ Pro ac 11

I use one and think of buying more

Comment

• Horacio
                  • Jan 2005

Folks,

Thanks for the input. Very helpful.
                  - I wasn't aware replies might get eddited
                  - I wasn't aware a sponsor of the forum is a manufacturer
                  - bigburner: I went back and searched for brucek's notes...and I found some fantastic leads.

Seems the way to go is adding a dedicated power line, and only then start thinking about power conditioners, power cords, etc.

Thanks again!
                  Horacio

Comment

• soundhound
                    • Mar 2004

Will, I would swap my wife for an RB-1090, she would fit you're bill.............

Comment

• will1066
                      • Aug 2003

LOL soundhound

Comment

• Lex
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Apr 2001

Actually, no it's not fine, I've made it clear all along that Club Rotel is not about cables. It may be that the moderators have freely allowed more discussion than allowed by the rules, but when I come through town, well, you know the story.

While we don't sell power cables, opening the floor for FREE power cord discussion is opening the floor to all competitive concerns nearly, and as such, the SAME rules apply to web brands vs store brands for any discussion, as well it does not belong in Club Rotel to begin with, as it is not part of the Rotel component.
                        Doug
                        "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"