X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Glen1
    • Feb 2004

1075 vs 1080 what's the general concensus for 2ch

Hi Guys,
    I'm just enquiring about opinions of the 1075 vs 1080 for two channel. I have 1075 with 1098 and Epos M22 mains and was wondering what improvements, if any, I would gain from substituting 1075 for a 1080 to power the front channels only. I understand there is a power increase of 80 wpc but other than this what are the improvements in sound quality.

Regards,
    Glen

PS: I will go and have a listen myself but won't get a chance for a while.
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

The 1080 has a slightly warmer sound then the 5 channel amps. Its bass is more controled as well with the increase in power.

Comment

• Stevebez
      • Oct 2003

Thats my setup - 1080's have got more headroom than 1075 (which use on surrounds only, 2 channels dedicated to centre in 5.1 setup with one spare channel for zone 2 in mono mode) and agree with Andrew 1080... a little warmer sounding.

Fabulous combo with B&W803D's - although slightly under powered if using for full range - have it running 803's from 60hz up and DD12 running nether regions.

Mids really open up with the unit crossed - but this baby is not shy power wise.

Basically half a 1090 ... but more versatile. Hope that helps.

Rgds Steve.

Comment

• tboooe
        • Jun 2005

for 2 ch what about going to 1090? From what I understand that amp is even better than the 1080 because of the 2 mono amp design. Great reviews. When I upgrade to the 803D I am going to seriously consider getting some monoblocks (Parasound, etc.)

Comment

• Stevebez
          • Oct 2003

500wx500w digital ROTELS !!!!! 8)

Rgds Steve

Comment

• htsteve
            Super Senior Member
            • Sep 2004

Glen1,

I have a 1095 that was powering B&W N804's. I recently bought a 1080 to drive these. The bass refinement and output was increased. The mid's and upper end were also cleaner. The soundstage got more 3 dimensional. The soundstage with the 1095 was good, but more 2 dimensional that the 1080.
            If you can get a 1080, I think this is a very worthwhile upgrade for 2 channel. Also, very good for 5 channel. I also like the double binding posts on the 1080. By the way, both the 1075 and the 1080 are both about 40 pounds, and the 1080 is a stereo amp. I think you would like the power of the 1080. :T

Hope this helps.

Comment

• Joey_V
              • Jul 2005

Current amperage is different between the two.

According to Rotel phone rep, the 1080 has a peak amperage of 120 while the 1075 is at 50 or less.

There are also other differences. Other's will and have chimed in regarding this. :T
              Analog: VPI Scoutmaster w/ Steel Delrin clamp + Dynavector 20XH cart
              Digital: SB3 + PS Audio Digital Link III DAC
              System: Cary Audio SLP-98P Tube Preamplifier w/ Sylvanias -> Plinius SA102 Class A amplifier -> Martin Logan SUMMITS/Strata Minis -> 8O (me)

Comment

• ds22030
                • Sep 2004

I would think the difference depends on your speakers. I had 1075 driving 4 ohm Polk LSi 15s and hated the lack of bass control. Bi-amping helped alot but still not enough. Went to 1080 and sounds great!!!

Comment

• Glen1
                  • Feb 2004

I took a leap of faith and grabbed a 1080 at an excellent price of $950 Aust brand new. Anyway it was the improvement I was hoping for. I've never had more than 120 wpc before and must say that now I wouldn't go back to anything less than the 1080's power. Bottom end is much more controlled and top end is so much cleaner. A couple of 1070's to replace the 1075 would be great but I think I'm going over the top now.

Thanks for the help.

Glen.

Comment

• bigburner
                    Super Senior Member
                    • May 2005

Glen, I know it's a bit late now, but did you consider waiting for the new Rotel 1077 digital amp?

Comment

• Glen1
                      • Feb 2004

I didn't really know about the digital amps and in Aust the rotel models take a while to get here compared to the US and Europe. In any case for the price I paid I'm more than happy.

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"