X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RotelNewbie
    • Aug 2004

1068 Audio Dropout

Anybody have any experience with audio dropout with the Rotel 1068? I was having a frustrating experience with a DVD which had never occurred before with previous gear (or with this unit for that matter), and I thought it was the disc or player, until I switched to an HDTV channel on my cable box and it continued to occur. I turned off the system for a couple of hours, had dinner, turned it back on and repeated the test with the same DVD and it did not occur. I'm wondering if this might be a heat-related problem which occurs after the system has been powered on for a good deal of time. The unit has f/w rev 1.1.6 (haven't upgraded yet) and it's a Panny RP82 player, about 2 years old.
  • Pez
    • May 2004

I get audio drop outs with my cable (comcast). I thought it might be the cables but after changing them I still get the problem. Only happens on channels above 100 and have concluded there is nothing I can do about it except swtich between a channel above 100 and a channel below 100 till the sound comes back.

Comment

• H.Donald
      • Aug 2004

Funny you should bring this up as I was about to ask the same question.
      I have my 1068 connected to the cable box with a digital optical cable and also with analog cables.When listening with the optical and channel surfing I've noticed that sound will be come only from the front pair of speakers...but then if I use the remote to put in pro-logic two or whatever format it will play correctlly.It has not so much dropped out as it has just not identified the audio signal...this does not seem to happen when using the analog inputs.
      I had assumed it might be the optical cable but since more people are asking more investigating is needed.

Comment

• aud19
        Twin Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2003

Guys, there's been numerous threads discussing Rotel gear and how it has an issue locking on to digital signals from equipment that does not properly transmit the signal. The biggest culprits have been older DVD players and Cable/Satellite boxes. Most of those people have found success in swapping the offending equipment and/or digital cable. Try doing a search in Club Rotel for more information on the subject.

H.Donald, it sounds more like your problem is that you have not properly set up your 1068 to default to DPLII for your optical connection. So it's defaulting to Stereo. Your analog connection has been set to default to DPLII and so works fine. Totally un-related problem.

Jason
        Jason

Comment

• H.Donald
          • Aug 2004

All default settings are set correctlly.Since it only happens when surfing I'm leaning towards my box or the optical cable.Also it's only happens on channels in the 300-400 range...HBO,Showtime ect.I will just surf using analog as everything else works correctlly and I have no desire to move cabinets and take things apart...Thanks

Comment

• H.Donald
            • Aug 2004

Also when watching HBO ect.with the digital cable all is fine it's when I switch
            3 or 4 channels in a row it reverts to stereo even though the readout still says pro-logic 2.

Comment

• hazard
              • Jun 2004

Originally posted by aud19
              Guys, there's been numerous threads discussing Rotel gear and how it has an issue locking on to digital signals from equipment that does not properly transmit the signal. The biggest culprits have been older DVD players and Cable/Satellite boxes. Most of those people have found success in swapping the offending equipment and/or digital cable. Try doing a search in Club Rotel for more information on the subject.
              Unfortunately I am one of the people who could not get rid of this problem, and I am forced to believe it is the processor at fault. I have tried numerous digital outputs from different DVD players, including my current player, a DV88+ with the very latest Arcam firmware installed. I still have problems where the processor cannot resume decoding after a pause in the digital output. My previous AV amp did not experience any of these issues with any of the other DVD players.

I'm hoping for a firmware upgrade from Rotel that will fix this.

Comment

• RotelNewbie
                • Aug 2004

Watched an entire flick last night in DD5.1... no problem. Seems to be isolated (at least in my case) to DD2.0 material. I have noticed audio problems before with Cable HDTV channels - I'm not so concerned about that but I would expect the any DVD material to work flawlessly. I'll be keeping my ears open for this problem recurring, to see if I can t/shoot it more (different cable, etc.)

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"