X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • raduray
    • Oct 2006

Why do I need to upgrade my RSP-1068?

Until just a month ago, I had a SD Sony 36” Wega CRT as the video component of my system. Feeding it, using component from the 1068, was an S-Video cable box and a S-Video/Component 480p Pioneer DVD/CD player/recorder. Sound from the Cable Box and the DVD/CD Player was via the digital coax and optical cables (that’s PCM, right?). I also have an AirportExpress connected via optical cable that picks up WiFi music from my laptop. My audio output is via a B&K 200.7 S2 amplifier powering Totem Mani-2 Signatures front left and right (bi-amp’ed), Totem Model-1 Signature Center, a couple of ancient Design Acoustic speakers for the rear surrounds and a DefTek 15” sub. All was well.

Then, I finally succumbed to HD lust and purchased a Sharp 42D64U LCD flat screen supporting 1080p and with several HDMI and one component input. As a side comment, I wanted a larger display, but that would have required new furniture and that did not pass the WAF threshold. Along with the new TV came a new HD cable box, the 8300HD, with HDMI and Component 1080i output. I connected the Cable Box to the the 1068 via the component (video) and optical (audio), and the TV to the Rotel’s Component out and thought I was ready to go. Alas, that did not work. As I posted in another thread, the 1068 had problems passing the 1080i signal from the cable box and the TV would periodically drop the signal, each drop lasting several seconds. I verified the problem was with the Rotel when I connected the cable box component out directly to the TV without a problem. Talked to Rotel, who told me it should work, and as I type this, the unit is with Rotel in North Reading, MA which, luckily, is only a 10 minute drive from my office.

As this was unfolding over the past couple of weeks, I’ve been doing a lot of reading on the various web sites about the state of the art and I’ve gotten all excited about HDMI 1.3a and specifically, the Integra DTC-9.8. I’m actually at the point of having ordered one that is expected to be available for pick up in the next couple of days. I figured that my incremental cost, after selling the 1068, would only be approx $600-700 and I’d get the latest in video and audio switching.

Still more reading and research, and now I’m getting second thoughts on the Integra. So, here are my specific issues.

Video Scaling/Switching: Why do I need the Integra to scale the Cable Box 1080i and the DVD player 480p to 1080p? If I were to connect them directly to the 1080p TV, doesn’t the TV do just as good a job? The one downside is that I would have to switch sources on both the TV and Rotel, but how much is that worth? (BTW, any recommendations on good programmable remotes?)

Audio Switching/Decoding: As far as I can tell, when I finally get around to purchasing a Blue Ray or HD DVD player, all the fancy new audio formats can also be decoded by the player. If I use the player’s analog outputs into the Rotel’s 7.1 inputs, I would lose the Rotel’s bass management/speaker adjustment capability. That would not be good. What I’m not clear about is, can the player transcode the fancy new lossless formats into PCM over it’s Toslink or Coax digital audio output that is compatible with what the Rotel 1068 can process? If it can, but it’s not the latest and greatest format, is the difference really audible? What would I be losing?

Audio Quality: I like the way my system sounds. Will I be taking a step back with the Integra? The Integra, is a newer design with the latest technology and it has decent user reviews on the web, but no professional reviews. But it would simplify my connections and switching which would be worthwhile as long as I don't lose Audio Quality.

I’d appreciate any input on the questions above or any questions that I might not have thought of.
  • Ferres
    • Jan 2007

The Integra appears to have plenty of desirable features particularly for High-def HT. Decent price too.

Comment

• John Holmes
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

I don't own any Rotel gear. I do own a B&K Ref 50. So I understand your situation pretty well. As I too have HD via satellite, X-Box 360 (games and downloadable content) and HD-DVD. My projector only has one HDMI input. So I have no switching for HDMI, nor audio processing of it.

I must admit that the simplicity of HDMI is attractive. But I am very happy using the MCH-Input of the Ref 50 for DD+ and TrueHD. The B&K allows me to adjust the bass via MCH, so no issue there. And DD converted to DTS via SPDIF is very good!

I bring this up because, sound quality is more important than ease of use to me. And I love the way my system sounds. Now, if I had to purchase today (starting for scratch), HDMI (ver 1.1 or higher) would be a must. I just don't see the point of not having it, when it can be had for such a good price.

I have no clue how good the Onkyo or Integra will sound to you. But I would not get something if it did not meet my sound needs first. Most people seem to be very satisfied with the sound from these units though.
      "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"