X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dedepas8
    • Aug 2004

Q: Do you turn your uint off?

Question: Do you switch your Rotel unit off completely or leave it on standby after use?

The reason I ask is that there are relies clicking when you turn on/off the units like 1098,1095,1080. And with rely they have limited lifetime and will worn out eventually. Should I leave the unit on standby? My wife has a habit of turning off every electrical appliance.

I had one occasion that I was unable to switch on the 1098 from the unit or with the remote even through the standby light is on. But after recycle the power all works ok.

I had some bad experience with RSP-1098. I took home a brand new unit last week and half hours into set-up the TFT screen went blank. Swapped a new one the day and the TFT screen was unable to synchronized when the unit was cool. So this is my third one in less than a week. now I'm scare of turn off the unit. I wonder if they have problem with their QA?
  • jlee
    • Aug 2004

I leave everything on 24/7/365 except my TV. It doesn't take much power if you have an input selected with no significant input voltage (volume). My subs take up less than 7W idle... it's similar for the CD and DVD... the only thing that may take up a BIT of power is the 1095 amp... but I figure everything should be 100W-200W or less total... and that is literally pennies a day... cost of 1-2 light bulbs really.

Comment

• jimmyp58
      Super Senior Member
      • Aug 2003

I leave everything on.
      jpiscitello@ameritech.net

Comment

• Mark_C.
        • Jan 2003

The relays may indeed wear out-in about 10 years-but I use the trigger with my 1075 in standby. By the time the relays wear out, if they wear out, it will be time to service the amp anyway.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

I leave mine in stand by mode but honestly I wouldn't worry about the relays wearing out..they'll last a long time

Comment

• DrBoom
            • Dec 2003

I leave mine in standby mode too, though I really hate the blue led always lighting my room.
            So I put some semi-transparant grey tape over it, which cuts the light emission in half and makes it more tolerable.
            It also doesn't give out that typical blue haze you get with blue leds anymore.
            When watching a movie, it used to emit like a circle of blue light around the LED, now with the tape it's much more relaxing and less distracting.

Comment

• GosonFletchy
              • May 2004

I leave all my gear in standby, unless there are storms in the area or I am leaving for a few days, then I unplug everything. (After lightning strike destroyed my old RSX-1065)

G.

:grab:

Comment

• alkalay
                • Jun 2004

Standby it is for me too, using the 12v trigger between 1068 and 1075.

Comment

• Martinf
                  • Oct 2003

Quick question -- when you turn on the RMB-1075, are the five red "protection" LEDs supposed to come on for a a few secs (while the capacitors charge-up)? (Same thing occurs when I power-down).
                  It doesn't say anything about this behaviour in the manual.
                  I'll be back!

Comment

• DelRay
                    • Jun 2004

On standby with 12 volt triggers for the amps via the monster power center. All my led's for the amps light up when I'm powering up or shutting down. Ditto GosonFletchy on the storn thing. Lost my last av receiver to lightning also.

Comment

• dedepas8
                      • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Martinf
                      Quick question -- when you turn on the RMB-1075, are the five red "protection" LEDs supposed to come on for a a few secs (while the capacitors charge-up)? (Same thing occurs when I power-down).
                      It doesn't say anything about this behaviour in the manual.
                      Yes, they suppose to be come on for a few seconds I guess they are there to protect your speakers from any surge current during power on/off.

Comment

• Azeke
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Mar 2003

Standby mode, unless I'm leaving for a prolonged period of time, then I disconnect all components, via my HTS monster cable. I just unplug it from the wall.

Regards,

Azeke

Comment

• Zzap
                          • Sep 2003

Standby.
                          I also disconnect all components if I'm off for a week or more because of the risk of lightning.

Edit:
                          True - I also just unplug from the wall
                          Last edited by Zzap; 13 September 2004, 15:58 Monday.
                          /John

Comment

• dedepas8
                            • Aug 2004

Refers to my other thread http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthread.php4?t=9230. I now had a surge protector inline and leave it on standy all the time.

Comment

• Martinf
                              • Oct 2003

Originally posted by dedepas8
                              Yes, they suppose to be come on for a few seconds I guess they are there to protect your speakers from any surge current during power on/off.
                              Thanks!
                              I'll be back!

Comment

• lylmik
                                • Mar 2005

jlee
                                ...may take up a BIT of power is the 1095 amp... but I figure everything should be 100W-200W or less total...
                                I think i read on some of the other posts that 1095 is 190W on standby.
                                I could be mistaken.

Comment

• basementjack
                                  • Dec 2004

I use the remote to put it in standby, and I pull the AC cord for vacations or thunderstorms.

Comment

• junior77blue
                                    • Nov 2004

Did any of you guys that had it 'fried' due to a lightning storm use a surge protector at the time? If so, what brand?

Comment

• PewterTA
                                      • Nov 2004

If lightning strikes near your stuff, there's no surge protector that will stop it. So if you are looking for something that way, it's not going to happen.

Oh and I use my stuff in standby mode, 12v trigger to the 1095 and 1080.
                                      Last edited by PewterTA; 08 April 2005, 13:46 Friday.
                                      Digital Audio makes me Happy.
                                      -Dan

Comment

• thyname
                                        • Jan 2005

What do you guys do with RCD-1072? Its remote does not have a standby button, so I need to press the power/standby button in the unit to turn it off, which I am a bit lazy to do.

Comment

• benny
                                          • Jan 2005

All of my seperates are left on 24/7. The sound doesn't compare to turning evrything on and listening. It takes a good hour or two before the system begins to sing. Everything is plugged into a small Brickwall unit so I'm not concerned with surges, etc.

Comment

• PewterTA
                                            • Nov 2004

Thyname,

If you have the RCD-1072 hooked up to say 12volt trigger 3, then whenever you hit the CD button is the only time you want trigger 3 to turn on, make sure all the video/tuner/whatever other settings do not use that trigger. Then it will only turn on when you switch the unit to CD and turn off when you switch the unit off of CD...

That's what I do with my RT-1080, only turns on with the "tun" button from the RR-1050.
                                            Digital Audio makes me Happy.
                                            -Dan

Comment

• phuz
                                              • Jan 2003

Originally posted by PewterTA
                                              Thyname,

If you have the RCD-1072 hooked up to say 12volt trigger 3, then whenever you hit the CD button is the only time you want trigger 3 to turn on, make sure all the video/tuner/whatever other settings do not use that trigger. Then it will only turn on when you switch the unit to CD and turn off when you switch the unit off of CD...

That's what I do with my RT-1080, only turns on with the "tun" button from the RR-1050.
                                              I have all my triggers set to on/off with the control unit. Since I switch between CD/TV/other sources several times daily, I'd prefer to just have it all on or all off instead of putting my rcd-1070 through multiple startups/shutdowns daily.

I do keep my amp on 24/7 unless I'm going out of town.
                                              ==============
                                              -phuz

Comment

• thyname
                                                • Jan 2005

Hey PewterTA; I don't quite understand your 12V trigger, sorry.. I have RCD-1072 hooked up to RX-1052 stereo receiver only through its CD input. Does it mean that anytime that I change receiver from CD to, let's say video 1, my CD player will turn off?

Comment

• Jazz
                                                  • Apr 2005

When I bought my 1055 from a small, very high end shop (the 1055 was the lowest end product he carried), the dealer told me the the 1055 sounds the best after it has been running for more than 36 hours. He said that it would sound "thin" at first and to be patient. Wanting only the best sound I can get I left the unit on and he was right, over time it did sound fatter and more robust. So, I just left it ON, using the MUTE control when I'm not listening. I took a vacation about six months later and decided to turn it off while I was gone. When I returned, and powered it up, I noticed that it sounded thin again, and as expected, about a day later it was back to normal.

So, my friend, I suggest to you: leave it ON, always.

Another argument for this: Warm things expand, cold things contract. Constant, daily warming and cooling of electronics wears them out faster. Electronics (in general) love to be ON.

I hope this helps.

Comment

Working...
                                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                  Search Result for "|||"