Do I turn off my 1070 amp everytime or just leave it on?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Joey_V
    • Jul 2005

Do I turn off my 1070 amp everytime or just leave it on?

Do I turn off the amp everytime I dont use it or should I just leave the 1070 on?

What do you guys do?

Thanks!
    Analog: VPI Scoutmaster w/ Steel Delrin clamp + Dynavector 20XH cart
    Digital: SB3 + PS Audio Digital Link III DAC
    System: Cary Audio SLP-98P Tube Preamplifier w/ Sylvanias -> Plinius SA102 Class A amplifier -> Martin Logan SUMMITS/Strata Minis -> 8O (me)
  • dermie999
    • Jul 2004

Hi Joey,

Let me paste the following information from the Rotel 1070 FAQ.

"When using the 12 volt trigger the standby consumption is approximately 3 watts. Without the 12 volt trigger the amplifiers power consumption at idle is approximately 50 watts." Clearly when turned off the power consumption is very low.

I don't know if any negative side effects are caused by using the 12V trigger (I suspect not because I use it on my 1080 and have done for over 12 months with no impact). So leaving that issue aside my suggestion, because of the much lower power consumption, is to either put it in standby using the 12V trigger or turn the amp off when not in use.

Trevor

Comment

• obiwan
      • Jul 2005

I left my Rotel Michi RBH10 power amp on for more than 10 years straight. It never missed a beat. In fact I've just got it back out again and am playing with it comparing it to my Bel Canto digital amp.

Comment

• Pwoida
        • Nov 2004

All amplifiers(probably exclucluding class A) will last longer if left on because of the stresses of them being turned on and off. So don't turn them off just because you don't want to wear them out.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

My Rotels are using the trigger and my class A amp is just left on 24/7

Comment

• Joey_V
            • Jul 2005

Ah... so leave it on.

What's the 12 volt trigger? I never understood this and havent read up on it since I bought mine used and I didnt have a dealer guy explain this to me.

Thanks guys!
            Analog: VPI Scoutmaster w/ Steel Delrin clamp + Dynavector 20XH cart
            Digital: SB3 + PS Audio Digital Link III DAC
            System: Cary Audio SLP-98P Tube Preamplifier w/ Sylvanias -> Plinius SA102 Class A amplifier -> Martin Logan SUMMITS/Strata Minis -> 8O (me)

Comment

• tboooe
              • Jun 2005

jeoey_V, you can use the trigger to either have something else turn on the amp or have the amp turn on some other componenet (Assuming of course that these components have 12V triggers too.)

Comment

• Pwoida
                • Nov 2004

Andrew I assume you know that a class A dissipates almost as much power with no signal as it does at full output. Electricity must be cheap over there!

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"