X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • H.Donald
    • Aug 2004

a new Rotelian

I started my slow but steady journey to mid-fi several months ago.After many years of using receivers..Denon 4802r,Onkyo 797..nice units but never the less receivers...I took the plunge and purchased the Rotel 1068/1075 combo..in silver,later I added a black rcd 1072...call me crazy but I like the way it mix/matches with my Monster power conditioner.My speakers are Paradigm Reference 40s,570 center,adp470 surrounds and CSW p100 sub.
    I may upgrade to the 100s at some point and add a 1080 but for now I will content myself with tweeking this system.
    So far I have upgraded speaker cables from a Monster mcx to a brand that will remain nameless as I do not wish to start a fight...but the improvement was immediate and profound.Also I purchased one of the silver coaxes from Cat Cables.I have only played it for an hour but again an immediate and profound improvement over what I was using.
    My other tweek this week was to finally get speaker stands for the 40s.
    I filled them with sand,placed the damping pads underneath and secured them with screws...and once again immediate and profound.
    The only place near me that has Rotel gear on hand and on display is in Boston about 70 miles from my home on Cape Cod.A bonus of my trek in to purchase the speaker stands was that the dealer was nice enough to fire up a pair of $ 40,000 grand Dali's..these things are about seven feet tall...needless to say I had never heard anything like them..I'm sure they could make static sound good.He offered free delivery which sealed the deal for me...right...nice to see how the other half lives.Anyway..many thanks to this forum,it has been great source of information and inspiration..both immediate and profound...Herm
  • Aussie Geoff
    Super Senior Member
    • Oct 2003

Herm,

Welcome to our world...

You have started with some nice equipment...

I see you alsready have a serious case developing of "upgraditus"...

Still it's also great to hear you are having success with the tweaks as well - the things you mention (stands, cables etc) all can make a real difference with quality equipment and a discerning ear...

Geoff

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Welcome and I hope you enjoy your stay with us

Comment

• Azeke
        Super Senior Member
        • Mar 2003

Herm,

Welcome to Club Rotel.

You have chosen wisely, and above all enjoy your new toys.

Regards,

Azeke

Comment

• aud19
          Twin Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2003

Welcome and congrats :T

Jason
          Jason

Comment

• DelRay
            • Jun 2004

You've got some really nice gear. Have fun listening! BTW, is Rotelian a real word? If not , it ought to be. Guess I'm a Rotelian too. :P

Comment

• ekkoville
              • Aug 2004

I agree with you Herm...this forum has been great help in determining quality of products and specific needs to consider. In the several weeks I have had my new 1095/1068 combo, I have been blown away coming from a receiver. I am in contact with Doug about a silver coax also, but I won't call it upgraditis.....maybe denial.

Erik :T

Comment

• Sithlord
                • Aug 2004

Welcome

Welcome to the fold my friend may your stay be a cheap one... maybe not :rofl:

Comment

• H.Donald
                  • Aug 2004

Thanks all for the kind words of welcome.As for the word Rotelian I cannot claim it to be mine since I have seen it elsewhere on this forum...and if we say it's a word then it is a word.I believe that all of us who love music and sound have upgradeitis...the only question is how high or hot the fever is.
                  Earlier this year I was burning up...I moved the Denon receiver along with the Cambridge SoundWorks speakers upstairs into our family room and sold some other items on eBay.This move left me with the entire basement to be alone with my illness.As I would open boxes the more I would perspire..a true sign of the sickness...I simply crave that new componet aroma.And now a new cable will create the same effect. I do believe I have it under control at the moment..but I know that there is no lasting cure..only temporary fixes.The truth of it all is I don't want to be cured...at least not untill I purchase a 1080..then I'm sure I'll be happy...maybe....Herm

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Oct 2003

H.Donald,

The truth of it all is I don't want to be cured...at least not untill I purchase a ....
                    Aint that the truth for all of us...

Geoff

Comment

• GosonFletchy
                      • May 2004

Welcome to the family, :assimilate:. We are a little sick and prety twisted, but that is why we are here after all, isnt it?

G.

:grab:

Comment

• Marty D.
                        • Aug 2004

Welocme! Welcome! I am new to the family as well. Congrats on the new gear! :T

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"