Any ideas for some pretty DIY speaker stands?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JonW
    Super Senior Member
    • Jan 2006

Any ideas for some pretty DIY speaker stands?

I'm looking for some ideas or inspiration for making speaker stands. I've got basic woodworking skills and tools. And I've got a few ideas for speaker stands in mind. But stands might be an easy place to experiment and try to make something a little nicer that just some wood slapped together at right angles. Something a little pretty. So if any of you have any pics or ideas of speaker stands that are a little nice, it would be good to see. Thanks.
  • dlneubec
    Super Senior Member
    • Jan 2006

How about something with some angles?

Maybe a Z shape with a Z on each side and cross braces at the bottom and top of the Z leg. You might make it out of something like a carefully selected 2"x4" stock, ripped down to maybe 1-1/4" x 3-1/4" to make it some for some nice sharp edges.

I think you'd have to take some time planning how to do the joints so they are strong, sqaure and need glue only, but with 1-1/4" x 3-1/4" stock to work with that should not be too difficult.
    Dan N.

Comment

• FlashJim
      • Apr 2006

You could always take a basic design and go nuts with the joinery. I have a new dovetail jig that I'm dying to use.

Some interesting links:

Jim

Comment

• dawaro
        • Feb 2005

The stands I built are similar to the TNT stands. 4" PVC filled with sand on a 1-1/2" thick base. On mine there are integrated to the speakers though. I cut a 1-1/2" plug with a couple of threaded inserts to fit the inside of the PVC pipe. The speaker is then bolted through the bottom of the cabinet into the threaded inserts. I needed something a little more stable with kids and pets.

If you want something different how about this?
        EMJ Speakers

Click image for larger version

Name:	61singleq.jpg
Views:	1787
Size:	18.5 KB
ID:	845511

Name:	61 Stand.JPG
Views:	2091
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	845512
        Last edited by theSven; 08 July 2023, 13:41 Saturday. Reason: Update image location
        I am not Dawaro the muslim state in Ethiopia...Just DAvid WAyne ROberts

Comment

• FlashJim
          • Apr 2006

Your stands came out nice. I think I'll go that route if I need stands. I still haven't decided on my mains yet.

Those EMJ speakers and stands are pretty cool.
          Jim

Comment

• cjd
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Dec 2004

oh yeah... ideas. yup.

um...

why you need stands? I mean, you got room for stands, you should be buildin towers. :P

C
            diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• SteveCallas
              • Aug 2005

why you need stands? I mean, you got room for stands, you should be buildin towers.
              That's what I told him :T

Comment

• joecarrow
                • Apr 2005

One thing that I think is pretty unique is hanging the speakers from the ceiling.

I see the main speakers at most concerts hung from rigging- you can argue about sonic advantages or disadvantages, but it cant be that bad or the professionals wouldnt do it.
                -Joe Carrow

Comment

• JonW
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Jan 2006

Thanks, fellas.

dlneubec-
                  Yeah, I was thinking about something with angles- or even better, maybe some curves. I’ve been sketching out a few things, but have not yet come up with a design I like.

FlashJim-
                  Thanks for the interesting links.

dawaro-
                  I’m not into the PVC stands, but that EMJ speaker is quite interesting. Is that a DIY or commercial speaker?

joe-
                  Can’t drillholes in the ceiling of my house- it’s too old and pretty. So no hanging speakers.

Chris and Steve-
                  Yeah, yeah, yeah- build towers. I know. And in general, I agree 100%. But this will be my first adventure in speaker building. So I want to keep to a rather simple design. I’ll build the Modula MT’s owing to a relatively simple design and lots of photos of the crossovers, one even with some very nice labels. If I still want to do some more speaker building after that, then it will be 100% towers. Heck, I could even go for something as large as Jon Marsh’s rumored Wilson X1 clones (ahem).

Comment

• dawaro
                    • Feb 2005

I am not sure on the EMJ. He has a website but I am not sure if he sells the designs.
                    EMJ Speakers
                    The speaker is just an Exodus 61 kit.

What you may not notice on the PVC stands I made is that the down tube is veneered in oak so that it looks like a solid piece of wood. It is hard to tell with the black dye. The president of housing affairs would never allow just a painted PVC tube. The tubes are also filled with sand to add weight for stability.
                    I am not Dawaro the muslim state in Ethiopia...Just DAvid WAyne ROberts

Comment

• Marzen
                      • Jul 2005

I 'borrowed' the wrought iron legs from a table we had in storage, they were similar to these at this site Maidens of Iron
                      -Ward
                      What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?

Comment

• nox9colt45
                        • Apr 2006

If you have the room, and the speaker boxes are right color (black works best imo) you can make them look like floorstanding speakers.

Top Quality Accessories We are pleased to offer the following accessories. These products have been fully tested and approved by our staff for use with our products. Please note: All accessories come with our unconditional 30-day satisfaction guarantee.

Their stands for their speakers to exactly that, with a backplate that attaches to the speaker and stand for a more stable speaker stand. You could also build the bottom of the stand heavier by putting sand in the stand, or whatever material you want.

They also have an angeled metal stand that looks good, simple to design, but a little bit off the "standard" looking stand.

Comment

• posix
                          • Feb 2005

when I was a student I had found some spare ceramic tiles in storage and used those as stands. a few boxes stacked up - they couldn't be beaten for sheer mass and they looked kinda cool.

and I'm sure most of us have a spare box or two of ceramic tiles lying around waiting to be cleared out of the house the next spring.

Comment

• JonW
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Jan 2006

Thanks guys. I'm still sketching out ideas. Got a few that might be OK. I'm leaning against anything too boring like a straight wood square post. In trying a curved leg, for example, I think I'll have to make a template out of scrap wood and have a look. Might like it or might not. For some shelves I'm building, I was all set to have curved front legs. When I make a template, it just didn't look nice, so I skipped it. Some other ideas I have are a square leg with 2 sides of wood and 2 sides of glass. Then fill the middle with sand or sand and marbles. Just trying to see what might be worth trying.

Comment

• moreants
                              • May 2006

This is a custom stand I made for one of my projects. Used curved legs from old shelf unit. Faux painted everything.

Name:	8 copy.jpg
Views:	5646
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	845561

Name:	032.jpg
Views:	2756
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	845562
                              Last edited by theSven; 08 July 2023, 13:42 Saturday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• chasw98
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Jan 2006

Originally posted by moreants
                                This is a custom stand I made for one of my projects. Used curved legs from old shelf unit. Faux painted everything.
                                Those are very nice! Excellent craftsmanship. How did you build those?

Comment

• moreants
                                  • May 2006

Originally posted by chasw98
                                  Those are very nice! Excellent craftsmanship. How did you build those?
                                  I used existing curved boards from a shelf unit. Traced curve onto particle board to design base. Brass furniture bolts from Lowes with small pvc hiding them between the legs. Grill cloth used as a screen in back. Bottom brace hid by sectioned 4" pvc. The top has 2 thumbscrews to secure speaker.

The rear post is pvc pipe filled with sand and a threaded rod bolting top/bottom. Feet are pvc secured w/screws and poly adhesive, round wood cutout inside to hold spikes topped with rubber drain gasket and brass drawer knob.

All '"wood'" that you see is faux painted and coated w/poly.

Comment

• Dotay
                                    • Oct 2004

Originally posted by moreants
                                    Do you have any more high res photos of these stands perhaps at some different angles?

Comment

• moreants
                                      • May 2006

Originally posted by Dotay
                                      Do you have any more high res photos of these stands perhaps at some different angles?

Only this one.

Name:	m016.jpg
Views:	13677
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	845563
                                      Last edited by theSven; 08 July 2023, 13:42 Saturday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• JonW
                                        Super Senior Member
                                        • Jan 2006

moreants-
                                        Nice work. I like the curves of the legs and the base. :T

Comment

Working...
                                        Searching...Please wait.
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                        Search Result for "|||"