B&W or Sanus stands for 805S- how do they speakers attach?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tboooe
    • Jun 2005

B&W or Sanus stands for 805S- how do they speakers attach?

Hi there. I am thinking about getting some stands for my 805S which are currently sitting on bar stools...

My question is, how do the speakers attach to the stands (screws, velcro, etc). I have a young daughter and another one coming so I want to make sure my precious speakers are securely attached. Also, does the B&W stands hollow so that I weigh them down? What do people use? My local dealer uses sand in the center column and lead shot in the base of the stand he uses.

Has anyone have experience with the Sanus stands?

I really need stands that can be weighted down (I think the Sanus Experience stands weigh up to 80 pounds when filled), securely attach my speakers, and looks good. Too much to ask?
  • junior77blue
    • Nov 2004

I have the 705 stands from B&W, and I've seen the stands for the N805s, they both use screws for attachment (different bolt pattern between the 705/805).

The 705s are definately hollowed out and weigh a TON when filled with lead shot. I can't comment for sure on the 805s but would imagine the same. I'm sure someone here will chime in shortly.

I just used the smallest size lead shot I could find, vs. sand.

Comment

• greggz
      • Jun 2002

how do the speakers attach to the stands (screws, velcro, etc)
      The 805's have 2 threaded holes in the bottom. As one might expect, stands made for the 805 will have holes that line up with them. Other stands may or may not. Depending on the stand, it could be possible to drill new holes (in the stand, not the speaker 8O ).

Also, does the B&W stands hollow so that I weigh them down? What do people use?
      The "legs" of the B&W FS-805 stand are hollow. You can fill them with any kind of mass (sand, kitty litter, rocks, pennies, lead, etc). I have mine filled with lead shot. If I recall it took somewhere between 50 and 60 pounds of lead shot PER stand to fill the legs. Makes them VERY sturdy.
      Gregg

Our Home Theater

Comment

• Phil Rose
        • Aug 2000

You may wish to go to a toy outlet store such as Toys-R-Us and get cleaned sand box sand. Kitty litter will absorb moisture and lead shot is environmentally unfriendly and probably not so good to have in massive quantities around children. The sand should be plenty dense providing excellent damping for vibrations and is inexpensive.

Comment

• Rolex
          • Mar 2005

Just make sure the sand is 100% dry, otherwise, you could have other problems..

Comment

• greggz
            • Jun 2002

lead shot is environmentally unfriendly and probably not so good to have in massive quantities around children.
            I'm not advocating that anyone use lead that doesn't want to, but just FYI, the 805 stand's legs seal up pretty darn tight when screwed together.

I initially did sand in my stands. It took about 2/3rds of a 25 pound bag of sand to fill all 3 stands (L, R and center). I still felt that the speakers were top heavy on the stands.

I decided to switch to lead. It took something like seven 25 lb bags of lead shot (175 lbs) to fill up all 3 stands. Now the speakers feel like they are bolted to the floor.
            Gregg

Our Home Theater

Comment

• tboooe
              • Jun 2005

thanks for the reply everyone. I was really leaning towards lead but Phil Rose's response has got me worried because I do have children in the house. I am not an expert on this but could someone please help me understand what dangers lead shot present to humans? This has got me very concerned.

Just to clarify, the base themselves are not hollow? Are they pretty heavy by themselves? I would think that to lower the center of gravity, you would want to put as much weight on the bottom as possible, thereby making it more difficult to topple the speaker stand.

Also, does anyone use anything between the speaker and the top portion of the stand itself? Or does everyone just bolt the speaker directly to the metal? I was thinking of using some sort of spongy sheet to absorb vibration and to protect the bottom of the speaker.

Thanks again for all of the responses.

Comment

• scottielee
                • Apr 2005

i use the rubber feet supplied by b&w between signature 805 and fsn805 stands. stands are filled with apollo soundbytes, which are carbon steel cut into circular shapes to dampen and to prevent ringing.

per savant audio, small steel balls have high ringing delays and are entirely undampened. on the other hand, rhapsody music & cinema suggested to use shotgun pellets.

Comment

• greggz
                  • Jun 2002

The primary risk source to children would be eating it.

Lead hazard info

Gregg

Our Home Theater

Comment

• aphexist
                    • Jan 2004

Originally posted by greggz
                    The primary risk source to children would be eating it.
                    Maybe you could use jellybeans...

Comment

• greggz
                      • Jun 2002

Maybe you could use jellybeans...
                      Even better get some paper mache’ and build piñata stands. Just don’t leave the kids in the room unsupervised with broom handle.

I believe the original posters intent was to keep the speakers safe around the kids. The obvious answer is, of course, to fill the stands with Brussels sprouts. Then you make a house rule; You touch the speakers… you eat all the Brussels sprouts in the stands.
                      Gregg

Our Home Theater

Comment

• perato
                        • Jan 2005

The United States Dept. of Housing and Urban Development regulates lead in public housing. As someone posted before, the primary lead exposure to children is eating paint chips. But breathing lead dust is also a possible exposure source. Lead overexposure can cause learning disablities in children and can cause reproductive problems in adults.

I use 705 with Studiotech stands. I put lead shot in the stands. I filled them outdoors and wore a respirator and spilled as little as possible. I am not familiar with B&W stands but if they are sealed once assembled and nobody destroys the stands, there should be insignificant exposure. Don't think natural sand is completely benign either. If you breathe high concentrations of silica (natural sand) you can get silicosis. Because lead is more dense and less likely to have water, I used lead shot. Other people on this forum were more worried about children knocking over the speakers/stands and exposing spikes than what you put in the speaker stands.
                        In the end, let YOUR ears and YOUR wallet be your guide.

Comment

• KvHagedorn
                          • Jul 2005

If you have 705s or 805s and want to put them on stands, for Godssake get the B&W ones and screw them on! Even by themselves, they are much heavier than ordinary stands, and if you don't screw them on, they are a heartbreaking accident just waiting to happen. Whether a child or a vacuum cleaner or a happy dog or yourself just trying to reposition the things for the umpteenth time, something will come along one day and knock them off. The heavier the stand is and the more firmly the speaker rests on it, the safer those speakers are.

Comment

• caleb
                            • Aug 2004

I also have 805's on the B&W stand.
                            Filled with small bore lead shot, an finally dry fine sand, I am sure there is not a ounce of air in there.
                            I can hardle pick them up and I agree with KvHagendom without screwing them downn - they are an accident waiting to happen.
                            \

Comment

• Recruit
                              • Jan 2005

Hi,

I dont know if you can get the HNE stands where you are but i invested in a pair for my 805S's and they are not just beautiful to look at but are also rock solid as they are made from granite,they cost me £500 but i am very happy with the results.
                              Here is a link to the HNE site.

Regards
                              John

Comment

Working...
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"