Warranty on Rotel's product as second owner?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • audiofan
    • May 2004

Warranty on Rotel's product as second owner?

Hi,
    I read at rotel.com that the warranty is not transferrable! I know that many of you bought used Rotel amp. How do you handle it if there is a problem with the amp? Do you buy warranty from the third party and do you recommend good one?

thanks a lot.
  • DrBoom
    • Dec 2003

It's true that warranty on Rotel products (like most other brands) isn't transferrable.
    So if you buy something used, you can't personally claim warranty in the event of a problem.
    If something happens in the warranty period, you have to be able to rely on the person you bought it from (the original owner).
    If he's willing to take it in for repair under warranty, all the better.
    That's just something you'll have to agree on when you make the purchase.
    You can try making a deal with the seller, that in case of warranty repair he'll take it to the store and claim it under warranty.
    If he's not willing to do this for any reason, you can't hold it against him since he isn't obliged to do so.
    In theory there is (almost) never any warranty on a used product, except for Bryston who have a 20 year international transferrable warranty, even if you're the 7th owner in 15 years.
    The good thing is, poweramps aren't really susceptible to faults, unless they're user errors but warranty won't cover that anyway.

Comment

• audiofan
      • May 2004

Thanks for the reply.
      That's too much risk for me ... If I can't get a real deal , then i think i 'd better off getting a new one....

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

While that's technically correct Rotel will sometimes often honor the warrenty even if its not the original owner. I can't say this happens everytime but I know they don't like to leave owners stranded so if you talk nicely they might still do something for you.

Comment

• jfinneru
          • Nov 2003

hmm, In Norway we don't have such redicule rules as you guys have to live with. The warranty follows the product and not the person. If we buy a used product, we can claim warranty for five years on electronics like this, no matter what the warranty period is from the manufactor.
          brgds joern

moderator norwegian avforum

Comment

• Azeke
            Super Senior Member
            • Mar 2003

Yes, I concur with Andrew. I have heard that Rotel honored warranties, even though they are second hand (within the 5 year timeframe), based on this and other forums. Personally, I would not purchase used equipment, until the dealer/individual can provide a warranty (or return policy). IMHO, if the aforementioned criteria is not meet, you should purchase new (unless, of course you get a deal you can't refuse). Your mileage, as well as other's, may vary.

Good luck,

Azeke

Comment

• Fred7
              • Jul 2004

A lot of manufacturers only honor the warranty for the original owner to stop unauthorized dealers selling their products. When you buy a product from an unauthorized dealer that does not have a transferrable warranty then you have no warranty because the unauthorized dealer is the original owner of the product so the warranty is void. If you had a receipt for a used piece of Rotel gear that was originally purchased at an authorized dealer my guess is that Rotel would probably honor the warranty even though you aren't the original owner. The only problem is that you are taking a chance because it is at their (Rotel's) discretion. I haven't seen any unauthorized Rotel dealers out there but there may be some. Never buy from an unauthorized dealer.

Comment

• rich0372
                • Jul 2004

what if yoiu buy used and get a copy of oringinal receipt and a warranty card (a lot of people will say this when selling on ebay)this often will make a difference when purchasing used Rich

Comment

• audiofan
                  • May 2004

rich,
                  that's what i'm thinking too. However, if i decide to buy used rotel, i think i should call rotel first and ask to make sure.

Comment

• Atano
                    • Jul 2004

Originally posted by jfinneru
                    hmm, In Norway we don't have such redicule rules as you guys have to live with. The warranty follows the product and not the person.
                    And thank god for that. I'm the 3rd owner of a RSP-1066 wich broke down during the first 20 mins of listening, and I used the warranty. No cost, no questions asked. :T

Originally posted by jfinneru
                    If we buy a used product, we can claim warranty for five years on electronics like this, no matter what the warranty period is from the manufactor.
                    Abit off-topic. In theory yes, but it isnt' that easy. I used to work for a large workshop, doing service for the largest brands available in Norway. And to claim the 5 year-warranty you have to get the workshop to talk to the regional office for that specific brand, and those are the ones deciding if you get the warranty or not. During my years, I'd say 1-2 out of 9 go through. it all depends on what's wrong with the product.

We have the regular 1 or 2 year warranty that comes with the product. And ontop of that we got the 5-year-warranty for "serious issues caused by manufacturer-error", wich is unique for this country as far as I know.

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"