X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • beden1
    Super Senior Member
    • Oct 2006

Classe Warranty

I had a question about the Classe warranty, and wether it is transferable, or not?

I just had my pre-amp in for service and got charged for the repairs, even though it is still under the warranty period . . . and, they originally told me to send it in under warranty after checking the serial number. I am the second owner of the unit.

I looked in the owners manual and couldn't find anything about transferring, or original owner either way.

Thanks for your help.
  • wettou
    Ultra Senior Member
    • May 2006

Originally posted by beden1
    I had a question about the Classe warranty, and wether it is transferable, or not? I just had my pre-amp in for service and got charged for the repairs, even though it is still under the warranty period . . . and, they originally told me to send it in under warranty after checking the serial number. I am the second owner of the unit. I looked in the owners manual and couldn't find anything about transferring, or original owner either way. Thanks for your help.
    It should be transferable if bought from an authorized dealer! But then again they might not honor it!
    Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• DM3000 Owner
      • Jun 2006

I had a question about the Classe warranty, and wether it is transferable, or not?

I just had my pre-amp in for service and got charged for the repairs, even though it is still under the warranty period . . . and, they originally told me to send it in under warranty after checking the serial number. I am the second owner of the unit.

I looked in the owners manual and couldn't find anything about transferring, or original owner either way.

Thanks for your help.
      If you explained that you are the second owner and they told you to send it in for a free repair and you relied on that promise and sent the unit in and are now being charged by them you can try to avoid payment. The legal term is "estoppel" and has to do with your reliance on their promise.

Comment

• beden1
        Super Senior Member
        • Oct 2006

I was able to find the email from Classe customer service that said the CP-500 was under warranty and would be serviced free of charge. I will be able to get credited, but, I'm glad I saved the email.

I did send it to Classe service through an authorized dealer.

I'm still not sure if their warranty is transferable or not. Anyone know for sure?

Comment

• dmccombs
          • Sep 2006

Beden,

It should be. I had a unit serviced once by Classe while it was under warranty. They knew I was the second owner. There was No charge.

Darrell

Comment

• beden1
            Super Senior Member
            • Oct 2006

Originally posted by dmccombs
            Beden,

It should be. I had a unit serviced once by Classe while it was under warranty. They knew I was the second owner. There was No charge.

Darrell
            Thank you for the in-put. Sometimes I'm not sure if it's Classe or the dealer I use that confuses the issues?

Comment

• dmccombs
              • Sep 2006

When I needed my work done, I contacted Classe directly as I don't have a Classe dealer in town. I gave them the serial number, and told them I was the second owner. No hassles. Maybe they billed you by mistake?

Comment

• hifiguymi
                Super Senior Member
                • Mar 2007

Just you guys know, the warranty is transferable. The second (or third, etc) owner needs a copy of the original invoice that shows a sales date, and serial number, to verify when the warranty started.

Eric

Comment

• beden1
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Oct 2006

Originally posted by hifiguymi
                  Just you guys know, the warranty is transferable. The second (or third, etc) owner needs a copy of the original invoice that shows a sales date, and serial number, to verify when the warranty started.

Eric
                  Thanks Eric. The dealer gave me a credit today for the service charges. But, he said the Classe warranty is not transferable, the same as with B&W?

Now, I'm totally confused, but I will side with your always helpful guidance.

Comment

• hifiguymi
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Mar 2007

I've not had anybody ask about the warranty on B&W before so I don't know if it's transferable or not. My guess is it would be, but I'll try to find out for sure. The Classe is for sure and I just received a clarification from tech support at the B&W Group. Here is the response I received.

Hi Eric,

Yes, the 5 year warranty is transferable for Classe products. We just ask that a copy of the original sales receipt be provided to the new owner of the amps to indicate the original start date of the warranty.

Best Regards,
                    Michael Sheehan
                    The B&W Group
                    B&W / Rotel / Classe
                    I thought this thread was interesting timing because I have a customer that is upgrading to a pair of CA-M400s from a CA-2200. I had asked for him because he just sold his CA-2200.
                    Eric

Comment

• beden1
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Oct 2006

I've not had anybody ask about the warranty on B&W before so I don't know if it's transferable or not. My guess is it would be, but I'll try to find out for sure. The Classe is for sure and I just received a clarification from tech support at the B&W Group. Here is the response I received.

I thought this thread was interesting timing because I have a customer that is upgrading to a pair of CA-M400s from a CA-2200. I had asked for him because he just sold his CA-2200.
                      Eric
                      Eric (and others are welcome to chime in),

This explanation is a bit long for which I apologize in advance.

I have another situation for which I would appreciate your advice. I was told to call Dave Nauber directly (is he their president?), but I wanted some direction before calling for resolution.

I also had my CAV-150 amp in for service at Classe, sent through the Classe dealer. I sent it in it's original Classe box and packing inserts, and I also filled the box with Styrofoam peanuts for an extra measure of protection. The box had some of my writing on it for when I shipped it before to my Florida house. The exterior amp case was in perfect condition.

I picked it up at the dealer this week, and the dealer said they checked out the amp when it was received back from Classe, as the box looked damaged (two corners were crushed). The dealer said everything was OK with their inspection. I didn't have a reason to also check it out before taking it home. But, I did tell him it was not the same box I had before when it was shipped to Classe service (it didn't have my writing on it).

I get it home and also find different interior packing, as it didn't fill the box as before. I also found the styrofoam inserts had been hand cut to fit the two sets of amp handles (they were not the originals, and there were no slots for the rear handles). The amp was still sealed in the protective black plastic bag, so, my first thought was the dealer didn't open to check it out like he said. Plus, why did I get a different CAV-150 box with different inserts?

I then opened the black bag to find that my amp had been dropped. One of the rear handles was bent 3+ inches, and the rear panel was dented.

I had sent the amp in for service as I accidentally bumped/switched channel one from balanced to RCA while it was playing and it caused a fault. While there for service, I wanted them to completely test all channels and repair/adjust anything needed. I also had issues with two other channels producing more hiss, and the sound through the speakers like a sky rocket shooting in the air when powering down. The dealer said that Classe service would completely inspect the amp and let me know the charges beforehand.

The charges I approved and later paid was $350.

When I tested the amp upon it's return, they had fixed the first two channels and they were clear as a bell. Unfortunately, the other channels still had the issues as before. It's obvious they didn't check these other channels.

I brought it back to the dealer today for them to ship it back to Classe service.

I have issues now that are really making me mad. I have an amp that was in perfect physical condition that now has a bent handle, case, and potential interior circuitry damage (also lower re-sale value if they don't fix it back to a how it was before, meaning replacing the handle, rear panel, and anything else damaged). My time has also been completely wasted by waiting 6 weeks for service turnaround, and only to find that they didn't complete the service.

Something is also extremely fishy about a different box and packing, as if someone actually tried to cover up the mishap to the amp while in the care of Classe, and trying to blame it on the transport company . . . thinking the dealer would have checked it out upon delivery.

I have had to send the amp back, and will be without a center channel/surround amp for when my SSP-800 arrives (supposedly this week). The dealer said he may provide me with a loaner during the interim, but, I'd rather listen to what I have/had, so I can legitimately determine how the new unit sounds.

I'm so mad, I'm at the point of cancelling my SSP-800 and saying bye-bye to Classe. But, I am currently heated over the situation and felt it best to first ask the advice of others.

My other thought at this point, is that Classe should somehow credit me for the value of my amp that was damaged, as well as provide me a new amp like a CA-3200 at cost. The only problem I see is that my CAM-350's would probably overpower the 200 watts from the CA-3200 driving the center.

Comment

• sikoniko
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Aug 2003

I'm sorry you are having such issues with Classe service. I know they read this board somewhat regularly and take this seriously. If I was you, I would contact the B&W group in boston, and more specifically, Michael Sheehan, which Eric referenced. He is the US guy for Classe and is who you should be working with on this. Just call their 800# from the website and ask to speak with him. He'll make sure you are taken care of. To be honest, I'd be a bit suspect of your dealer more than of Classe.

I experienced Classe's service the first time when my SSP-600 quit working on me. We had friends come over to watch a movie, and audio just dropped out for some reason, followed by a repetive clicking sound, like some relay was switching. I contacted B&W directly about it, and Michael Sheehan worked with me on it. He is very easy going and will do everything he can to make sure you are taken care of. They fixed it and shipped it back to me in less than 10 days from the time I called UPS for a pick-up. When I got it back, for some reason it still wasn't working for me, so I shipped it back and they covered the shipping charge. Once they looked over it, he overnighted it back to me so I wouldn't be any longer without a processor.

I've actually also just went through a warranty issue with my SSP-800. For some reason when I played 7.1 media, static would come through the surround and rear speakers. Everything worked great when playback was 5.1, or upped to 7.1 via PLIIx. Needless to say I was taken care of expediently and the issue has already been resolved.
                        I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• beden1
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Oct 2006

Originally posted by sikoniko
                          I'm sorry you are having such issues with Classe service. I know they read this board somewhat regularly and take this seriously. If I was you, I would contact the B&W group in boston, and more specifically, Michael Sheehan, which Eric referenced. He is the US guy for Classe and is who you should be working with on this. Just call their 800# from the website and ask to speak with him. He'll make sure you are taken care of. To be honest, I'd be a bit suspect of your dealer more than of Classe.
                          Thanks for your input.

As for the dealer, they are at fault for not properly checking the package contents when they saw the flimsy box and damaged corners when it was delivered, as well as for saying they did check it when they did not.

Classe is at fault for the damage, at a minimum, as they did not package the amp properly for safe shipment. But, the mystery remains as to what happened to my original box and packaging . . . and why did they use a different and inferior box with hand fabricated inserts?

Classe is also at fault for not properly servicing the amp in the first place.

Comment

• wettou
                            Ultra Senior Member
                            • May 2006

I have another situation for which I would appreciate your advice. I was told to call Dave Nauber directly (is he their president?), but I wanted some direction before calling for resolution.
                            Dave Nauber is VP Martketing and is a very nice fellow, I am sure he will make sure you are taking care of so I hope.

I'm so mad, I'm at the point of cancelling my SSP-800 and saying bye-bye to Classe. But, I am currently heated over the situation and felt it best to first ask the advice of others.
                            I can fully understand your frustration, it seems you have an unethical dealer what a surprise I had a similar situation not so long ago, give Dave a try and hopefully they resolve your situation fast

Let me know if you need his email.
                            Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• beden1
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Oct 2006

Originally posted by wettou
                              Dave Nauber is VP Martketing and is a very nice fellow, I am sure he will make sure you are taking care of so I hope.

I can fully understand your frustration, it seems you have an unethical dealer what a surprise I had a similar situation not so long ago, give Dave a try and hopefully they resolve your situation fast

Let me know if you need his email.
                              Thanks Wettou, I sent you a PM.

I think it's best to first cover my bases in writing via email.

Comment

• sikoniko
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Aug 2003

Thanks Wettou, I sent you a PM.

I think it's best to first cover my bases in writing via email.
                                Here is the thing that bothers me about going straight to Dave. He is the VP of the company and from my understanding, pretty much runs the day to day. Why not go through the chain of command and call Michael first? If Michael doesn't help you, then go consider Dave, or even Tom in Montreal (who would be better than going to Dave on this issue).

Going straight to Dave would be like you having an issue with one of your teammates where you work, and instead of going to your boss, you went to a VP/ President/ Director or even CEO and never talking to your boss.

I get the impression you are more interested in openning a dialogue with Dave than you are going through the chain and getting your problem resolved, since my suggestion of calling Michael wasn't good enough.

Comment

• beden1
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • Oct 2006

Here is the thing that bothers me about going straight to Dave. He is the VP of the company and from my understanding, pretty much runs the day to day. Why not go through the chain of command and call Michael first? If Michael doesn't help you, then go consider Dave, or even Tom in Montreal (who would be better than going to Dave on this issue).

Going straight to Dave would be like you having an issue with one of your teammates where you work, and instead of going to your boss, you went to a VP/ President/ Director or even CEO and never talking to your boss.

I get the impression you are more interested in openning a dialogue with Dave than you are going through the chain and getting your problem resolved, since my suggestion of calling Michael wasn't good enough.
                                  First, I don't know Dave or anyone else at Classe, and quite frankly, I could care less about opening any dialogue with anyone there to start some relationship. I just want my issue resolved. I probably mis-understood, but I thought by going to the guy you suggested, that would be stepping over Dave and his operation where the mishap occured. The dealer gave me Dave's direct number to call before.

I appreciate your help, but again, it's seems like you're too protective of your Classe mother ship!
                                  Last edited by beden1; 18 September 2008, 10:34 Thursday.

Comment

• wettou
                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                    • May 2006

First, I don't know Dave or anyone else at Classe, and quite frankly, I could care less about opening any dialogue with anyone there to start some relationship. I just want my issue resolved. I probably mis-understood, but I thought by going to the guy you suggested, that would be stepping over Dave and his operation where the mishap occured. The dealer gave me Dave's direct number to call before.

I appreciate your help, but again, it's seems like you're too protective of your Classe mother ship! At this point, I'm of the mind that their name is Mother _uckers!
                                    Sometime you need to go to the top to get resolution :T

Comment

• sikoniko
                                      Super Senior Member
                                      • Aug 2003

I appreciate your help, but again, it's seems like you're too protective of your Classe mother ship! At this point, I'm of the mind that their name is Mother _uckers!
                                      my mothership? 8O low blow. why do you have to be an ass? How am I trying to protect them? All I was trying to do was help you. I guess I was wrong in trying to give you the chain of command. I know in most political environments, you tend to piss people off by bypassing them and going straight to the top.

You know, this whole accusation of being a "fanboy" is starting to get to me. You and nobody else has the right to judge me. I kindly choose to ignore you and anyone else who judges me and my opinion from this day forward. I won't tolerate being riduculed any longer.

Comment

• beden1
                                        Super Senior Member
                                        • Oct 2006

my mothership? 8O low blow. why do you have to be an ass? How am I trying to protect them? All I was trying to do was help you. I guess I was wrong in trying to give you the chain of command. I know in most political environments, you tend to piss people off by bypassing them and going straight to the top.

You know, this whole accusation of being a "fanboy" is starting to get to me. You and nobody else has the right to judge me. I kindly choose to ignore you and anyone else who judges me and my opinion from this day forward. I won't tolerate being riduculed any longer.
                                        I appreciate your help, and I've said that many times. I am also upset about my situation.

Having said that, and as a customer, it's not my job to try and figure out nor worry about anyone's politics. My dealer gave me Dave's telephone number to call. Since my dilemma is somewhat confusing, I felt it best to first correspond in writing.

I really don't know who is who at Classe or B&W, nor anything about their corporate structure. Your contact being in MA with the B&W Group would first appear to be a position over Dave's Divisional post. There was no title attached to the post.

I think if you read what you posted beforehand, your tone was pissy and defensive. I simply responded in kind.

I'm sorry if your are offended, as that is not what I started out as being my intent.
                                        Last edited by beden1; 18 September 2008, 10:35 Thursday.

Comment

• RebelMan
                                          Ultra Senior Member
                                          • Mar 2005

Brooks, get with Mike Sheehan (USA) on this issue (CAV-150). If he is unable to assist then Tom McConville (Canada) is the next person to reach.

Unfortunately, there is no way to know for sure what happened to your amplifier because it went through several hands between the dealer, the shipper and Classé. This is not to that Classé doesn't bare some responsibility but at this point where those responsibilities lie is undetermined. What I do know is that Classé maintains tight records for any repairs they administer and they exercise care when handling any equipment that is serviced or shipped.
                                          "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• wettou
                                            Ultra Senior Member
                                            • May 2006

Originally posted by RebelMan
                                            Brooks, get with Mike Sheehan (USA) on this issue (CAV-150). If he is unable to assist then Tom McConville (Canada) is the next person to reach. What I do know is that Classé maintains tight records for any repairs they administer and they exercise care when handling any equipment that is serviced or shipped.
                                            Welcome back RebelMan, traveling have you been? So when could we expect the review of the SSP-800. Soon we hope!

Comment

• beden1
                                              Super Senior Member
                                              • Oct 2006

Brooks, get with Mike Sheehan (USA) on this issue (CAV-150). If he is unable to assist then Tom McConville (Canada) is the next person to reach.

Unfortunately, there is no way to know for sure what happened to your amplifier because it went through several hands between the dealer, the shipper and Classé. This is not to that Classé doesn't bare some responsibility but at this point where those responsibilities lie is undetermined. What I do know is that Classé maintains tight records for any repairs they administer and they exercise care when handling any equipment that is serviced or shipped.
                                              Thanks. I called and sent him an email. But, you can't say that you know they exercise care when handling any equipment, because such was not the case here.

The only thing I know for sure in this situation, is that my hands are clean.

Comment

• RebelMan
                                                Ultra Senior Member
                                                • Mar 2005

Thanks. I called and sent him an email. But, you can't say that you know they exercise care when handling any equipment, because such was not the case here.

The only thing I know for sure in this situation, is that my hands are clean.
                                                I certainly can. Your experience has been inconsistent with others including myself (I've been through the process twice before). As I said there are a number of individuals involved here. You don't know for certain how the dealer handled your amplifier, nor do you know what the shipper did. Once the unit left your hands the dealer assumes full responsibility and they ought to know better than to receive damaged goods and then brush you off by directing you to the VP of Brand Development. It's too early to start pointing fingers but based on some of the remarks regarding your dealer thus far, they appear highly suspect in these matters.

Comment

• wettou
                                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                                  • May 2006

I certainly can. Your experience has been inconsistent with others including myself (I've been through the process twice before). As I said there are a number of individuals involved here. You don't know for certain how the dealer handled your amplifier, nor do you know what the shipper did. Once the unit left your hands the dealer assumes full responsibility and they ought to know better than to receive damaged goods and then brush you off by directing you to the VP of Brand Development. It's too early to start pointing fingers but based on some of the remarks regarding your dealer thus far, they appear highly suspect in these matters.
                                                  It looks like it from here as well some dealers are not always honest unfortunately. Also shipping companies are not always careful especially if the box is heavy, Opps it fell remember Jim Carey in ACE Ventura.

Anyhow Classé should take care of it!

Comment

• RebelMan
                                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                                    • Mar 2005

Welcome back RebelMan, traveling have you been? So when could we expect the review of the SSP-800. Soon we hope!
                                                    Thanks. Gump insightfully alluded to my absence in another thread. I took receipt of an HTM1D just prior to the weekend and I have been messing with it to some degree which has kept me busy and away. My review of the SSP-800 is coming in three parts. I'm posting part one tonight.

Comment

• wettou
                                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                                      • May 2006

RebelMan Review coming soon

Thanks. Gump insightfully alluded to my absence in another thread. I took receipt of an HTM1D just prior to the weekend and I have been messing with it to some degree which has kept me busy and away. My review of the SSP-800 is coming in three parts. I'm posting part one tonight.
                                                      Ah fantastic, we are all looking forward to you detailed and informative review.

Thank you in advance. HTM1D that sounds like fun :B

Comment

• beden1
                                                        Super Senior Member
                                                        • Oct 2006

I wanted to let you know what happened in my quest to get my situation ironed out.

Bottom line, is that in this net sum game, I ended up with the short straw IMO. After nearly three months, I am still without my amp, and probably won't have it for another week or two. To Classe's credit, they will repair the physical damage and any internal issues with the amp under warranty.

After thinking about it, I really didn't want the amp back that was damaged. I will just never look at it with the same regard as before. If I had received the delivery, I would have filed an insurance claim for replacement/payment with the delivery carrier. This is not my option since the dealer took delivery and didn't check for damage, even though the box clearly showed damage.

The amp was also not fixed correctly during the 2 months Classe had it in their hands for service. I still had a strange sound eminating through a couple of channels when powering down. I also now have a new issue with two channels having a loud hiss.

I felt they should offer me a lifeline, and provide a replacement path so I didn't have to deal with this issue any longer. That's not going to happen either through Classe or the dealer . . . not even a bone or a tidbit.

Then I get this comment regarding their findings when the amp was delivered back to them, which really makes me MAD: "However the packaging was intact and in good shape upon its arrival to us, and the damage to the unit does not seem to be consistent with the condition of the packing materials."

What a slick way of saying screw you, and trying to throw a veil over the responsible party in the first part. This is not my idea of supportive customer service, particularly at the prices they charge for admission.

I also requested that when serviced, the amp be sent directly back to me so I can take proper delivery, instead of the dealer who didn't do it right the first time . . . the party of the second part. That request has been denied for whatever reason.

The aftermath, is I cancelled my SSP-800 order and will not be selecting Classe products in any of my continuing upgrade paths.

Comment

• hifiguymi
                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                          • Mar 2007

benden1,

What would you have Classe do beyond what they are doing? If they are repairing the amps physical damage and electronic problems, what else would you want them to do? I'm not at all trying to be a smart ass in asking this question, I'm just curious what you would like them to do beyond that. It's a bad situation all around and I'm sorry that it happened. It's too bad that it has soured you on the Classe brand.

Eric

Comment

• wettou
                                                            Ultra Senior Member
                                                            • May 2006

The aftermath, is I canceled my SSP-800 order and will not be selecting Classe products in any of my continuing upgrade paths
                                                            This is very unfortunate and don't blame you. What pre/pro are you looking at now?

Comment

• beden1
                                                              Super Senior Member
                                                              • Oct 2006

benden1,

What would you have Classe do beyond what they are doing? If they are repairing the amps physical damage and electronic problems, what else would you want them to do? I'm not at all trying to be a smart ass in asking this question, I'm just curious what you would like them to do beyond that. It's a bad situation all around and I'm sorry that it happened. It's too bad that it has soured you on the Classe brand.

Eric
                                                              I ended up with a damaged amp that was not even fixed properly in over two months, as well as my pre-amp that was in for service for the same length of time that did not fix the trigger issue.

Sometimes it's easier to swallow mishaps when the responsible party shows some empathy more than words. I did present an option that did not even get a response, let alone any counter offer. A portion of the response I did get is included as part of what I posted beforehand.

At a minimum, the damage should be fixed as it happened while under their responsibility. The operational issues should be fixed as that is what I've already paid for when they first returned it, supposedly serviced properly.

If nothing else, I have lost my confidence in their ability to properly handle and service my equipment.

The other paradigm that companies like Classe need to start realizing again, is that there are less and less customers in the world today that can afford, and have interest in buying their products. They are no longer going to have the luxury of dictating to the customer, as many companies have been doing during these recent boom times. The standard for customer service in more years than not, is the customer is always right.

Speaking for myself as a customer with very deep pockets . . . I'm not going to take it anymore!
                                                              Last edited by beden1; 24 September 2008, 20:56 Wednesday.

Comment

• beden1
                                                                Super Senior Member
                                                                • Oct 2006

This is very unfortunate and don't blame you. What pre/pro are you looking at now?
                                                                I started doing research last night, and the Anthem Statement D2v2 looks outstanding. It's scheduled to come out near the end of the year.

Aside from the highly regarded video processing and audio, tuner, headphones input and amp, and room correction program of the now D2 . . . it also has HDMI 1.3 (8 inputs and 2 independent outputs), and internal decoding for all HD codecs. They have been into HDMI since version 1.1, and have proven themselves in regularly providing software upgrades and support, as well as legitimate upgrade options.

Plus, it's made in the USA! :T

I also have a dealer I have worked with for more than 15 years near to my PA house that is an Anthem dealer. They are very supportive, straightforward and knowledgable people, which should be a big improvement right there.

Comment

• sikoniko
                                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                                  • Aug 2003

you know, I'm not saying classe doesn't have any ownership on this, because I don't know, but what I read is that you are putting 100% of this on classe, and not considering your dealer or the shipping company or yourself.

I don't see how it is classe's fault for the product being damaged during shipment. That is the fault of your dealer for being neglegent on your behalf by accepting the product. We don't know that prior to shipment, it wasn't 100% operational. If it took structural damage, it probably also took internal damage.

The other thing I am suspect of is how long it supposedly took Classe to turn around the warranty work on your products. It is very uncharacteristic of them. I would call them and request information on when they received it, and how long it was in their possession. Again, call Michael Sheehan, and he should have the information you need. What was the hold-up? Was there a part on back-order? Why did you let it go so long without any communication with them? I would have been calling them everyday finding out the status of it. I did when they had my SSP-600, and they were VERY open to communicating with me. How do you know your dealer shipped it off right away?

There are four parties involved in this transaction: Classe, the shipper, your dealer, and you and I believe all four of you are at some level of fault. You can accept that or not.

I don't see why Classe owes you a credit towards another product. The warranty is only to cover your product.

I ended up with a damaged amp that was not even fixed properly in over two months, as well as my pre-amp that was in for service for the same length of time that did not fix the trigger issue.

Sometimes it's easier to swallow mishaps when the responsible party shows some empathy more than words. I did present an option that did not even get a response, let alone any counter offer. A portion of the response I did get is included as part of what I posted beforehand.

At a minimum, the damage should be fixed as it happened while under their responsibility. The operational issues should be fixed as that is what I've already paid for when they first returned it, supposedly serviced properly.

If nothing else, I have lost my confidence in their ability to properly handle and service my equipment.

The other paradigm that companies like Classe need to start realizing again, is that there are less and less customers in the world today that can afford, and have interest in buying their products. They are no longer going to have the luxury of dictating to the customer, as many companies have been doing during these recent boom times. The standard for customer service in more years than not, is the customer is always right.

Speaking for myself as a customer with very deep pockets . . . I'm not going to take it anymore!

Comment

• beden1
                                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                                    • Oct 2006

you know, I'm not saying classe doesn't have any ownership on this, because I don't know, but what I read is that you are putting 100% of this on classe, and not considering your dealer or the shipping company or yourself.

I don't see how it is classe's fault for the product being damaged during shipment. That is the fault of your dealer for being neglegent on your behalf by accepting the product. We don't know that prior to shipment, it wasn't 100% operational. If it took structural damage, it probably also took internal damage.

The other thing I am suspect of is how long it supposedly took Classe to turn around the warranty work on your products. It is very uncharacteristic of them. I would call them and request information on when they received it, and how long it was in their possession. Again, call Michael Sheehan, and he should have the information you need. What was the hold-up? Was there a part on back-order? Why did you let it go so long without any communication with them? I would have been calling them everyday finding out the status of it. I did when they had my SSP-600, and they were VERY open to communicating with me. How do you know your dealer shipped it off right away?

There are four parties involved in this transaction: Classe, the shipper, your dealer, and you and I believe all four of you are at some level of fault. You can accept that or not.

I don't see why Classe owes you a credit towards another product. The warranty is only to cover your product.
                                                                    Sorry, but putting me into the equation makes no sense. I did call the dealer repeatedly about the status of my amp and pre-amp. I am only the customer.

Classe and the dealer stood together on this, with both supporting each other, and with me as the third man out. So, I refer to Classe and the dealer as one entity in this case.

Classe apologized for the length of time it took to service my items, so they did have it that long.

Classe packaged the amp and chose the shipper, and the dealer should have found the damage upon delivery. If a claim was filed with the shipper however, I'm confident Classe would have been found negligent for not properly packaging the product to ensure safe delivery.

Classe said they saw no internal damage to the amp as a result of the accident, so, any issues with it's operation could only be as a result of their not having serviced it properly.

No warranty would have been required if it was not damaged. The warranty is actually to cover the work that I paid for, and was not done properly in the first place. This is a legacy product.

I worked with Michael Sheehan on this. I would have opted a different direction if I had it to do over again.

Sorry, but I don't agree with you, and I'm sure the law books would not as well. It should be my choice as to what I want done with the amp . . . either have it repaired or credit applied for replacement.

I understand Eric's point of view since he is, or works for a Classe dealer. Your point of view is puzzling, unless you are also employed in their system!

Comment

• Gump
                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                      • Sep 2005

The aftermath, is I cancelled my SSP-800 order and will not be selecting Classe products in any of my continuing upgrade paths.

I'm really sorry to hear this beden1. It certainly sounds like you have some reasonable complaints, but when a line is drawn in the sand like this usually all parties end up losing out. Kinda like throwing the baby out with the bathwater (my last cliche' I promise). Perhaps it's not too late to take sikoniko's suggestion and at least speak to Mr Sheehan and see if he can make the situation right for you. It's certainly worth a try.

Other than a few issues, all the reviews dribbling in on the SSP-800 seem to indicate that it is a remarkable and perhaps even one of a kind pre/pro. I've heard Anthem products before and as excellent as they are technologically, in my opinion the Classe products are in another league from a quality of sound perspective. I hate to see you lose out on that for what might be an abnormal situation or misunderstanding. The people here that have experience with Classe seem to think this is not the normal way things are dealt with from them customer service-wise.

It's your call, but you're so close to getting the SSP-800 I sure hate to see you switch horses mid-stream. Rats, I broke my promise!

Whatever you decide I wish you luck!

Neil

Comment

• beden1
                                                                        Super Senior Member
                                                                        • Oct 2006

Thanks Neil, but unfortunately, I didn't paint the corner. I was provided no options other than to take whatever they decided. There were no discussions offered, and I was dealing directly with Sheehan.

I will take my time to decide on the best direction from here. And actually, we never did get that in-depth review about the SSP-800 as promised, and after the many months of excited discussions leading up to the actual launch.
                                                                        I really hope it does turn out to be spectacular, as I know you've really been looking forward to getting your unit.

I'm sure Classe is not the only fish in the sea of processors. Most importantly however, I want to choose a product from a company that treats their customers as valuable assets.

Comment

• wettou
                                                                          Ultra Senior Member
                                                                          • May 2006
                                                                          • 3389

Thanks Neil, but unfortunately, I didn't paint the corner. I was provided no options other than to take whatever they decided. There were no discussions offered, and I was dealing directly with Sheehan.
                                                                          I feel your pain, Did you ever speak with Dave N.

I will take my time to decide on the best direction from here. And actually, we never did get that in-depth review about the SSP-800 as promised, and after the many months of excited discussions leading up to the actual launch.
                                                                          Rebelman dropped off the surface of the earth, I asked Kal to review the unit but no response either. Maybe the SSP-800 is so good that they can't write about it or they found flaws and are disapointed, as the say "Anticipation of death is worst than death itself" Of course we won't know as no one ever came back.

For my part I will just go experience it for myself and make my own conclusion, I still will wait until they have the new board that decodes the new Codec I hate purchasing obsolete technology.

I'm sure Classe is not the only fish in the sea of processors. Most importantly however, I want to choose a product from a company that treats their customers as valuable assets.
                                                                          There are many other Pre/pro the question is are you a analogue man or digital. I think that for digital the Integra DTC 9.9 and Denon AVP1 are outstanding and they have every single piece of technology you can ask for.:T

Comment

• sikoniko
                                                                            Super Senior Member
                                                                            • Aug 2003
                                                                            • 2299

Rebelman dropped off the surface of the earth, I asked Kal to review the unit but no response either. Maybe the SSP-800 is so good that they can't write about it or they found flaws and are disapointed, as the say "Anticipation of death is worst than death itself" Of course we won't know as no one ever came back.
                                                                            Or maybe he is too busy listening to spend much time writing...

I think the biggest complaint you will get about the SSP-800 is that your poorly recorded CDs will sound poor, but your well recorded cd's, SACDs, DVD-As will sound like you have never heard them before. So much that it might cause a revival in SACD/DVD-A. At least it has for Rebelman and myself. :T

Comment

• beden1
                                                                              Super Senior Member
                                                                              • Oct 2006
                                                                              • 1676

#39
                                                                              I feel your pain, Did you ever speak with Dave N.

For my part I will just go experience it for myself and make my own conclusion, I still will wait until they have the new board that decodes the new Codec I hate purchasing obsolete technology.

There are many other Pre/pro the question is are you a analogue man or digital. I think that for digital the Integra DTC 9.9 and Denon AVP1 are outstanding and they have every single piece of technology you can ask for.:T
                                                                              The problem I have with the Integra and Denon, is that they've already announced replacement products coming, and I have not read where they offer existing customers any upgrade path? That's what had me interested in the Anthem Statement D2v2 coming out. They have proven to be good with providing their customers with upgrade paths.

Comment

• beden1
                                                                                Super Senior Member
                                                                                • Oct 2006
                                                                                • 1676

#40
                                                                                I hope you're not speaking for Rebelman, that he is too busy listening to post his impressions of the SSP-800. He had many interested people following his pre launch threads, and others who either bought one or are waiting to order their units based on his input. That would be totally inconsiderate not to follow-up on his promised review at this juncture.

Comment

• wettou
                                                                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                                                                  • May 2006
                                                                                  • 3389

#41
                                                                                  Or maybe he is too busy listening to spend much time writing... I think the biggest complaint you will get about the SSP-800 is that your poorly recorded CDs will sound poor, but your well recorded cd's, SACDs, DVD-As will sound like you have never heard them before. So much that it might cause a revival in SACD/DVD-A. At least it has for Rebelman and myself. :T
                                                                                  Cool, I have about 60 SACDs mostly classical music, forget DVD-Audio not much of a catalog. How about with Digital uncompressed music (Apple looseless) how does it sound? I would assume as good or better than with a CD player?

Comment

• AV-OCD
                                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                                    • Aug 2008
                                                                                    • 568

#42

I think the biggest complaint you will get about the SSP-800 is that your poorly recorded CDs will sound poor, but your well recorded cd's, SACDs, DVD-As will sound like you have never heard them before. So much that it might cause a revival in SACD/DVD-A. At least it has for Rebelman and myself. :T
                                                                                    In my experience there are components / speakers that highlight flaws in recordings and limit you to listening to only the best of the best. The SSP-800 does not do that for me. Even though the presentation of the SSP-800 is transparent and detailed, I still find all of my standard issue CDs quite a pleasure to listen to. It does not gloss over poor recordings, but it also does not make matters worse. Just my two cents.
                                                                                    Last edited by AV-OCD; 28 September 2008, 21:09 Sunday.

Comment

• AV-OCD
                                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                                      • Aug 2008
                                                                                      • 568

#43
                                                                                      The problem I have with the Integra and Denon, is that they've already announced replacement products coming, and I have not read where they offer existing customers any upgrade path? That's what had me interested in the Anthem Statement D2v2 coming out. They have proven to be good with providing their customers with upgrade paths.
                                                                                      While the Anthem offers a lot for the money, the UI is very clunky and good luck getting your universal remote to learn all of the layered commands it uses. For instance, to get to the set-up menu, you have to hold a button for three seconds. This same button has another primary function if pressed quickly. I could not get my Pronto remote to learn the secondary function of this button for the life of me. I also found the Anthem was a bit clynical and etched sounding. Not objectionabley so, but this is the way it leaned.

I've generally been happy with the Denon gear I've owned, but I don't think it has the sound quality of the SSP-800.

Comment

• beden1
                                                                                        Super Senior Member
                                                                                        • Oct 2006
                                                                                        • 1676

#44
                                                                                        Originally posted by AV-OCD
                                                                                        While the Anthem offers a lot for the money, the UI is very clunky and good luck getting your universal remote to learn all of the layered commands it uses. For instance, to get to the set-up menu, you have to hold a button for three seconds. This same button has another primary function if pressed quickly. I could not get my Pronto remote to learn the secondary function of this button for the life of me. I also found the Anthem was a bit clynical and etched sounding. Not objectionabley so, but this is the way it leaned.

I've generally been happy with the Denon gear I've owned, but I don't think it has the sound quality of the SSP-800.
                                                                                        Did you find the Anthem D2 to be a bit clinical and etched sounding, or was it with one of their other units? I have not heard it yet, so I'm interested in your thoughts.

For a pre-pro, I prefer to use it's own remote, so the universal remote issues would not be an issue.

Thanks for your in-put. Glad to read you're enjoying your SSP-800.

Comment

• AV-OCD
                                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                                          • Aug 2008
                                                                                          • 568

#45
                                                                                          Did you find the Anthem D2 to be a bit clinical and etched sounding, or was it with one of their other units? I have not heard it yet, so I'm interested in your thoughts.

For a pre-pro, I prefer to use it's own remote, so the universal remote issues would not be an issue.

Thanks for your in-put. Glad to read you're enjoying your SSP-800.
                                                                                          Yes, I owned the D2 for about a week and it seemed to be a bit sharp sounding. Sibilance seemed to be highlighted a bit. But keep in mind that I find the differences in sound quality between most front-end gear to be very slight and only meaningful to those that have been in the hobby long enough to start searching for that last 10% improvement. So unless you had the D2 next to the Classe, you may not even know what you are missing.

What do you currently own in the way of a front end and speakers?

Comment

Working...
                                                                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                          Search Result for "|||"