X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Charl
    • Apr 2004

Are Rotel DVD players multi-region?

Does anyone know if the RDV-1040/50/60 DVD players come standard as multi-region? I'm sure I read this somewhere......

I can pick up a new machine on ebay for less than half the local price in South Africa, but I'm not sure if it will work with our region 2? :roll:

I've checked the power equirements and it seems all the new Rotel machines work with a universal power supply (110-240v, 50/60Hz), and they have a PAL / NTSC selector switch, so this part seems ok.

Charl
  • Marcel54
    • Jan 2004

My 1060 is multi region out of the box.

Marcel

Comment

• Elmac
      • Apr 2004

Yes and no
      Rotel DVD players are multi region and they will work in North America and Europe, but if you are in North America and try to watch region 2 DVD’s they will not work since there is no up conversion from PAL to NTSC. So unless you have Multi system projector or a HDTV that can switch between those 2 systems, than those DVD players are only single region.
      Hope this helps.
      Elmac
      All HT Signals Processed by D2 for Ultimate Experience

Comment

• aarsoe
        • May 2004

Elmac

Are you sure of this?? They do all seem to have a swicth on the back for PAL or NTSC setting...

Comment

• Charl
          • Apr 2004

Thanks for the feedback guyz.

Elmac, I've gotta agree with aarsoe - I downloaded the manual and they do all seem to have a switch on the back of the machine for PAL or NTSC setting.

Can anyone confirm this?

Comment

• GosonFletchy
            • May 2004

Yes, they all have the PAL/NTSC switch. In North America, they come out of the box set to Region 1. I have heard of some, outside of North America, being set to multi region, but I can not say if it is out of the box, or done afterwards. This applies to all Rotel DVD players.

G.

Comment

• Elmac
              • Apr 2004

Yes, I'm sure.
              I have about 50 region 2 DVD's and have to play them on Phillips player.
              I was about to buy new rotel player but after testing all 4 models none of them would play any of the disks. So i have contacted my Rotel Support guy in Buffolo, and he told me that all players in US and Canada are only region 1 and they will only play region 1 DVD's.
              So I'mm still waiting for new player from Rotel with upconversion to 1080i or 720P with HDMI out and SACD and DVD Audio.
              When this will happen I don't know.
              Last edited by Elmac; 30 July 2004, 21:35 Friday.
              Elmac

Comment

• Charl
                • Apr 2004

I really appreciate your comments guys - I think you've just saved me from a costly mistake!

In summary then, I think Rotel manufactures one standard player with a universal power supply and switschable PAL / NTSC.
                Machines going out to the US market then get region 1 coded and the rest region 2 (or no coding). Makes sense...

Thanks again guyzos!

Comment

• aarsoe
                  • May 2004

Elmac

Think you are mixing two things together.
                  That your player is locked to Region 1 have nothing to do with its ability to output PAL or NTSC signals.
                  In my experience all players in Europe are code/region free and can play all regions.
                  Also worth noticing is that if you are using component output, then the signal have nothing to do with NTSC and PAL anyway..

Comment

• Elmac
                    • Apr 2004

Hello aarsoe

Maybe in Europe they will work but not in US and Canada.
                    I have try about 5 DVD's on them and none of them will work.
                    I tells you that you have insered wrong region DVD.
                    I also have try Krell and Integra and high end pioneer as well as Denon.
                    and all of them say the same thing. We even try diffrent setting at 2 dealers and it didn't help.
                    But if you know the way to go around this with a secret code please let us know because I know at least 5 people that would buy Rotel player if would be a multi region.
                    I bet Andrew or Geoff can clear this up for us.
                    Elmac

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"