X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • asg420
    • Jul 2004

Think I made my decision!!!!!

Hey guys,

So after much mental turmoil ( I think I just LOVE the agony of the thrill of the hunt ), I believe that I have made my decision on what gear to fill my new huge room with.

I must first of all say, that I listened to a number of systems. I listened to systems who's names I can't remember or pronounce.....I listened to enough different amps, speakers and soundtracks to make a person crazy.

I must say that after all the listening and all the mental debating, I find myself back to my tried and true favorite, Rotel.

There is no other product, in my opinion, which can capture the sound as I like it and through many differnet pairs of speakers, hold the sound out in front of me with the "phantom" center feeling. The way that Rotel gear seems to blend the music between the right and left channel always leaves me breathless. I am a fan, and now even a bigger fan!

So this is where I thinkI am going to be unless anyone has any ifo to offer otherwise;

Rotel 1098
    Rotel 1066 (Bridged for 150w/3ch for center and rears)
    Rotel RCC-1055 (For the money, there is NO better changer on the market!)

B&W 802's
    McIntosh MC252 (needed something really awesome to power these speakers. I also really like the wattmeters when these speakers cook!)
    B&W ASW Sub

Now, I DO feel a little like a cheater....Please accept my apologies but the McIntosh amp through the 802's with Stevie Ray Vaughn through the system really just sounded like nothing else I have heard. Maybe I was blinded by the blue lights, but I must say that the system is truly awesome.

I also decided to not get a new center or rears at this time. I do have a pair of CM4's which I will use for the rears and a CMC for the center. I think these will do the trick in this room for the time being. After we renovate the kitchen an bathrooms....I'll think new gear! :roll:

I will keep you all posted, and sincerely appreciate all your isnight and assistance! Now I have to read more about these silver cables i see you all talking about!

Kind regards,

asg
  • Kevin D
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2002

Just keep in mind once you upgrade to Naut center and rears, you will most likely need to step away from the 1066.. In bridged mode, it's very hard for it to push 4ohm. Most of the Naut line drops into that territory at lower frequencies.. That said, I use a bridged 1066 to power my center rears; B&W Signature 7's. They don't dip below 6ohm's too much though..

Kevin D.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

I agree the 1066 is the weak link in that group...if you can move up to a 1075 you'll thank us later :W

Comment

• Azeke
        Super Senior Member
        • Mar 2003

I agree go with the RMB-1075, so the thrill of the hunt continues .

Regards,

Azeke

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
          Super Senior Member
          • Oct 2003

Asg420,

I don't want to be difficult - but.. I question your dealer's motivations....

1) I absolutely agree with the RMB-1075 instead of the RMB-1066 bridged. The 1066 will be at its limits into 8 ohm and will struggle when the B&Ws drop to 4 ohm (that is 2 ohm for each half of the bridged pair). I have heard bridged 1066 and they sound significantly more strained than the 1075 and above... It would be $300 not well saved... The RMB-1075 will also let you use all for of your CM speakers to create a 7.1 system

2) Your dealer is also doing you no favours selling you the McIntosh 2900 Integrated Amp - it has a chunk of its cost on the pre-amp and 5 channel equaliser that will be wasted when driven by your Rotel 1098. Also it is rated at 200W per channel into 2/4/8 Ohms (its power doesn't double with drops in impedance). However for about the same price there is the McIntosh MC402 Stereo amplifier which is 400 W per channel - you just loose all that pre-amp and equalisation circuitry that you don't need... And 400W will really make those B&W's sing... I think US retail on the 6900 is $4,600, and the MC402 is $5,100 - and your dealer should absorb that 10% difference for you with what you are buying...

With those 2 changes - I am much more confident you will be happier longer term - you will then have a fabulous system now and to build on...

PS - Which B&W ASW Sub - the ASW-850 would be an excellent choice?

Geoff

Comment

• aud19
            Twin Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2003

What Geoff said :agree:

Jason
            Jason

Comment

• Elmac
              • Apr 2004

1075 all the way.
              You will be happy for years to come
              Elmac
              All HT Signals Processed by D2 for Ultimate Experience

Comment

• asg420
                • Jul 2004

Advice noted....

Thanks Geoff and all you guys for your valuable input.

Geoff, after your first response to me a while back, I started reading about all the McIntosh gear and decided totally against the Integrated amps. I am purchasing the MC252 which is 250w/ch. My dealer said that I can take this home and try it out.....if I want the bigger MC402 amp, I can always swap them out.

In regard to the 1066 - My dealer is really against the 1075 - He said to me that if I am not happy with the 1066, I can also give it back to him (no penalty for three months) and swap it for the 1075 or 1095 if I so wish. He is one of the most respected and largest dealers in the NY/NY/CT area and his refrences are impecable.

Maybe I just don't understand enough about how these different components work with each other, but the sound is still there. I have the gift of great hearing, and if I dont like what I hear, at least I have the reasurance of trading my gear in after three months with no penalty.

Why would bridging a 1066 to 150w/ch sound or have power which is more strained than a 1075 running at 120w/ch? Look, we aren't talking big dollars between any of these amps. I kind of believe 6 of one, half a dozen of the other - We getting to the same endpoint just using a different road. (and I save 300 bucks :-) )

Well, either way, I gave the Amex over the phone - so the goods will be delivered next Thursday. SO EXCITED!!!!!!!!!

I now am looking into DVD players....How does Rotel stack up?

Thanks again guys! You've all been great! I am really looking forward to learning more here and being a member of the community!

Here's to the beauty of SOUND! :T

Kind regards,

Asg

Comment

• Kevin D
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Oct 2002

Originally posted by asg420
                  Maybe I just don't understand enough about how these different components work with each other, but the sound is still there. I have the gift of great hearing, and if I dont like what I hear, at least I have the reasurance of trading my gear in after three months with no penalty.
                  What most of us are concerned about is that we don't think you will be getting the Naut center and rears within that 3 month period. When/if you do, the 1066 will be almost useless with them (at least bridged). The money penalty will be higher when you have to trade up after the 3 month period.

Why would bridging a 1066 to 150w/ch sound or have power which is more strained than a 1075 running at 120w/ch? Look, we aren't talking big dollars between any of these amps. I kind of believe 6 of one, half a dozen of the other - We getting to the same endpoint just using a different road. (and I save 300 bucks :-) )
                  Unfortunately, you are taking two different roads, to two different places that just look the same...

You've got a 6 channel amp at 60 watts and a 5 channel amp at 120 watts. When you bridge two channels of an amp, you instantly add distortion (ie, more strained sound), but you get more power.. The way you get more power is by placing a easier load on the amps (lower ohm load).

The 1066 in 6-channel mode is rated for running 8ohm speakers and is quite stable when the speaker drops into 4ohm territory (the ohm rating on the speakers is nominal, they can fluctuate quite a bit. The 802's you purchased even go past 4 ohms in the lower end). Now, when you bridge an amp, it's 'stable' ohm load gets doubled. Where the 1066 was stable at 4ohms, in bridged mode it is only really stable at 8ohms.

If you were to try and run Naut speakers on a bridged 1066 it will overheat and go into thermal shutdown rather quickly.. Add in the fact that all 6 channels share the same small power transformer and it becomes quite hard for the 1066 to push 150x3 for extended periods of time (this can be seen in that the amp can actually do 70x5 if you don't run the 6th channel!)

So again, the 1066 will work and sound great, for now.. $300 to go ahead and get something that will continue to sound good no matter what speakers you go with is a pretty good deal.

Kevin D.

Comment

• asg420
                    • Jul 2004

Wow!

Well guys - I must say that I sence a bit of hostility! I hear you and will heed your advice - I didn't realize how vehemently opposed some of you are to bridging the 1066.

I appreciate the information - I didn't realize that becasue of bridging that distortion is added.

Also, part of my reasoning on the 1066 was for other reasons which I have not yet shared with my fellow forumers. I am also installing an Elan home control system, and eventually when i want to expand the system, I can use the 1066 to add three more zones/rooms of sound to the system. So although I can appreciate your concern that if I ever do decide to grow my speakers into the nautilus line, the 1066 wont be enough power - I can then add the 1095 which is where I would want to be ultimately.

So I will change my order and go for the 1066 - Is there any other amp that Rotel has which will work in three chanels only? It will be a shame to waste 2 ch's of the 1075.....

Thank you all for your strong opinions! It nice to see people so passionate about their hobby!

Have a great day!

asg

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2000

Ah well if you have an upgrade plan lined up that's a little different then what we were assuming as they're absolutly correct in that the 1066 isn't the long term amp for those speakers...but its perfect for zone two opperation which is really what its designed for. There aren't any Rotel 3 channel amps at the moment so you're stuck with either 2 or 5 channels...but depending on how many zone 2 speakers you have that may not be an issue. I run two 5 channel amps to power all my speakers and second zone.

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Oct 2003

Asg420,

Sorry - we are just keen to help

Anyway - from one of your other posts:
                        I have decided to purchase a pair of 802's as my front speakers for a home theater system. I currently have 4 CM4's for my fronts & rears with the CMC as my center channel.

Since the 802's are putting a real dent in the wallet , I am considering using my CM4's for rears with the 802's up front.
                        The RMB-1075 will be very nice at driving your centre and all 4 CM4's for your rears plus your new centre giving you 7.1 sound....

Alternatively - you can use the 2 spare channels on the 1075 for the first of your extra zones when you get them (the RSP-1098 will drive this zone "out of the box" for you).

Personally - if your room can take it - I'd 110% recommend the 7.1 sound...

When you go for the home control system - the RMB-1066 will be perfect... Buy it then...

PS - the RMB-1095 you are planning will be a great upgrade from the RMB-1095 when you get the Nautilus rears... In which case the RMB-1075 will still drive 2 rooms for you....

Geoff

Comment

• DelRay
                          • Jun 2004

What Geoff said. You won't be wasting the remaining 2 channels of the 1075, if you go 7.1 You'll already have the processor for it.

Comment

• Azeke
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Mar 2003

Asg420,

We just didn't want to see you make an error in judgement, based on our vast experiences (we are indeed passionate about HT) .

BTW, if you are contemplating going 7.1 it's a beautiful thing, makes you want to cry because you are so happy :T . I rarely listen to 2 channel stereo anymore. Go figure.

Good Luck and keep us posted.

Regards,

Azeke

Comment

• bigburner
                              Super Senior Member
                              • May 2005

Well guys - I must say that I sence a bit of hostility!
                              I'm impartial and I sense no hostility at all, just a wealth of valuable experience and therefore good advice. I could be wrong of course...

Comment

• chinets
                                • Jun 2005

Go for the 1075 all the way ,I second that too !!! :T I believe that would be the right choice for you!!
                                Chhers

Comment

• Kevin D
                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                  • Oct 2002

WARNING! Way old thread alert! I'm sure Asg has moved on by now.

Kevin D.

Comment

• Blindamood
                                    • Sep 2003

I certainly hope he's made his choice by now...this thread is 2.5 years old!
                                    Brad

Comment

• bigburner
                                      Super Senior Member
                                      • May 2005

The thrill of the hunt can last a long time for some guys.

Comment

• chinets
                                        • Jun 2005

Bigburner,
                                        It's Time for the Kill !!! Hunting season is over guys!!!!
                                        Cheers!

Comment

Working...
                                        Searching...Please wait.
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                        Search Result for "|||"