X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gcrown22
    • Apr 2008

Help with 805 Naut. Set up/Receiver Choice

HI- Thanks in advance for your time. I have spent some time reading and there is some great info here and its appreciated. I an an new owner of 805 Naut speakers and htm2 center channel and just some lower end B&W rears for surround. I have several things I would like to figure out for my set up. I am very new to audio scene and set up and such. #1) I am running a denon avr 3300 right now and I am wanting to upgrade to a newer receiver that would be good for these speakers, my main goal is home theatre use, please some recommendations on a newer receiver under 1000 and hopefully way under 1000, I would buy used also., would like to have it have hdmi input of at least 2 running the newer 1.3, the goal is to hook a ps3 into reciever to have best audio for blu ray playback. #2) I am going to upgrade my speakers wires, should these 805s be hooked up in bi wire? Can I even run bi wire from my old avr 3300 receiver? Will bi wire be the best way to run these? Any other suggestions would be great also thanks so much
  • audioqueso
    Super Senior Member
    • Nov 2004

I have the Nautilus 805s. In regards to using a receiver only, I can only say that I've used a Marantz AV receiver.

First, if you're going to use a receiver only, look for one that can bi-amp because it makes a big difference for the 805s. I tried my 805s with the Marantz receiver only, and it needed power. Bi-amping it (not technically, but using two pairs of channels) improved the bass very noticeably.

Under a grand and HDMI 1.3. Yes, you can find 1.3 receivers for under a grand, but don't count your power short for the 805s. Definitely look for at least a 7.1 that will let you bi-amp the front speakers with the last two channels.

I looked up some amps, but I only know the Marantz and Arcam allow you to bi-amp with the last two channels. I don't know about the other brands.

- Marantz SR5002 (HDMI 1.3, bi-amp'able)
    - Arcam AVR250 (used, HDMI 1.1, bi-amp'able)
    - Denon AVR-2808CI (HDMI 1.3, don't know if you can bi-amp)
    - Onkyo TX-SR805 (HDMI 1.3, bi-amp'able)
    - Yamaha RX-V1800 (HDMI 1.3, bi-amp'able)

I'm sure there's more, but these are the one's I can think of.
    B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

Working...
    Searching...Please wait.
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
    There are no results that meet this criteria.
    Search Result for "|||"